Confirmed with Link: Chris Wideman Signs Two Year Entry Level Contract With Senators

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Well hopefully he is ready. Remember they come in more mature BUT they have less room for improvement compared to a 20 yr old. Should be able to tell right away. Is he playing tonight?

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
To his credit, Weircioch had played some games in the NHL...and he held up just fine.

Only because he was sitting the bench in Bingo OR it may have been in his contract. This tells you that if Wiercioch does fine in the NHL then their are others who will do well. It certainly was not based on performance. It was purely political or contractual. I will say that he has played better the last few games(positioning) but he needs to build up his legs. He falls all the time after most contact.

Berserker*

I'm glad you're here to tell us these things.

In any case, people are right to point out that we are quite thin on defensive prospects, and beyond Wiercioch, most of the ones we do have are in the Gryba / Blood / Claesson / Sdao mould. Borowiecki, who might be NHL-ready, has shown some two-way upside but it's hard to expect that to translate to the NHL, especially since he'll be used in a much more reduced role.

Wideman and Wiercioch are our only offensive D prospects of note and it's nice to have one of them look to be progressing well because it's been a rough year for Wiercioch.

I do expect Murray to address the defensive shortage in the draft, but that's unlikely to provide us with an NHL regular anytime in the next two years.

Wideman gp g a pts pim
2008-09 Miami University (Ohio) CCHA 39 0 26 26 56
2009-10 Miami University (Ohio) CCHA 44 5 17 22 63
2010-11 Miami University (Ohio) CCHA 39 3 20 23 32
2011-12 Miami University (Ohio) CCHA 41 4 20 24 40

Weircioch
2008-09 U. of Denver WCHA 36 12 23 35 26
2009-10 U. of Denver WCHA 39 6 21 27 34

Sdao
2009-10 Princeton University ECAC 30 5 4 9 48
2010-11 Princeton University ECAC 27 3 7 10 65
2011-12 Princeton University ECAC 30 10 10 20 87

Blood
2008-09 U. of North Dakota WCHA 31 0 1 1 12
2009-10 U. of North Dakota WCHA 43 5 9 14 96
2010-11 U. of North Dakota WCHA 44 2 10 12 48
2011-12 U. of North Dakota WCHA 42 3 18 21 73

Blood and Sdao are pretty underrated around here. To score about 5 points behind Wideman and 10-15 points behind Weircioch is pretty damn good considering that they are supposed to be shut down d men.

Germz

4th liners ftw
Aug 14, 2008
Toronto, ON
Blood and Sdao are pretty underrated around here. To score about 5 points behind Wideman and 10-15 points behind Weircioch is pretty damn good considering that they are supposed to be shut down d men.

Maybe so, but I'm about evenly skeptical about all of these guys, which is probably because I don't watch them play.

If the big guys point totals are going up, that's nice, it probably means they have grown into a larger role on their teams as they become veterans. But those improved numbers are still not really significant enough to think that they will translate into an offensive game at a pro level, so we'll just have to wait and see how they look at camp.

On the other hand, while Wideman has consistently remained his team's top point-getting defensemen, one wonders whether his offensive game is stagnating and does not have another level.

All told, I have low expectations for all of these guys, but I really don't know much about them except that none of them are turning into "wow" prospects. Still, I'm glad they are sticking around and not flaming out, because you never know what can happen.

Berserker*

Maybe so, but I'm about evenly skeptical about all of these guys, which is probably because I don't watch them play.

If the big guys point totals are going up, that's nice, it probably means they have grown into a larger role on their teams as they become veterans. But those improved numbers are still not really significant enough to think that they will translate into an offensive game at a pro level, so we'll just have to wait and see how they look at camp.

On the other hand, while Wideman has consistently remained his team's top point-getting defensemen, one wonders whether his offensive game is stagnating and does not have another level.

All told, I have low expectations for all of these guys, but I really don't know much about them except that none of them are turning into "wow" prospects. Still, I'm glad they are sticking around and not flaming out, because you never know what can happen.

Agreed, I just figure that Blood and Sdao have a decent chance of becoming solid top 4 d men.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
To his credit, Weircioch had played some games in the NHL...and he held up just fine.

There is nothing wrong with the slow development route they are taking for Weircioch. He will probably benefit greatly from spending this time in Bingo, not to mention we have a full roster of D in the NHL.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
What's nice about these NCAA graduates is that they come in to Bingo at a more mature age after spending 4 seasons in University. Their learning curve IMO is not as great & they have a much better idea of the world & the sport they have decided to make their career. A little older, a little smarter & more physically ready to step in & make a difference. Obviously it also takes talent but they are closer to their prime & closer to taking the next step. Greening & Condra are perfect examples of that.

Excellent points.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
i hope so, as we are thin in the defensive prospects. can anyone who has seen the kid play maybe come up with a nhl comparable?

We are thin but we have already Karlsson and Cowen who are 21 and 20 y/o and after that we have some decent prospects :

Borowiecki
Wiercioch
Claesson
Blood
Wideman
Gryba
Sdao
Fransoo
Aneloski

Not as bad as some people seem to think, maybe 3-4 guys could become NHLers. Chances are good that we add a 1st rounder on top of that group in a few months. One thing for sure is that they will work on restocking the defensive prospects

In terms of Wideman comparable (however didn't watch him play a lot), I'd say Chris Campoli or a poor man JM Liles

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
What's nice about these NCAA graduates is that they come in to Bingo at a more mature age after spending 4 seasons in University. Their learning curve IMO is not as great & they have a much better idea of the world & the sport they have decided to make their career. A little older, a little smarter & more physically ready to step in & make a difference. Obviously it also takes talent but they are closer to their prime & closer to taking the next step. Greening & Condra are perfect examples of that.

The maturity factor is massive. There's no comparison between a kid that coasted through high school expecting to be a hockey star and a kid who has been able to hack it through 4 years at an ivy league school (not that miami is, but you know what I mean). The self-discipline and competitiveness that it takes to succeed at these schools is insane.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Agreed, I just figure that Blood and Sdao have a decent chance of becoming solid top 4 d men.

I'm most excited about those two in particular. They really impressed me and stood out in the dev camps.

Berserker*

I'm most excited about those two in particular. They really impressed me and stood out in the dev camps.

Blood had some good mobility at the last camp. Which is good to see for a physical shutdown type of d man.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Blood had some good mobility at the last camp. Which is good to see for a physical shutdown type of d man.

He looked tougher than cowen and that is saying something. It was more in the skill drills that sdao impressed me with his skating and puck handling for a guy his size. They are both huge guys.

Iirc, aneloski looked good in the scrimmages. I don't remember wideman so much.

Billy Madison*

People saying that Ottawa's defensive depth is lacking, that's not true, at all really. Ottawa has their #1, 2 D men for the next decade plus of hockey, you round it out now.

Wideman, Borowiecki, Wiercoich, Blood, Gryba, Claeson, all of those guys have the potential to be NHLers and play in a bottom 6 or 3, 4 role with a little luck. That's a ton of depth. If people are expecting someone to come in and be the next Karlsson they are going to be disappointed. If the Sens were drafting 1st overall I don't know if you could find the next Karlsson.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
People saying that Ottawa's defensive depth is lacking, that's not true, at all really. Ottawa has their #1, 2 D men for the next decade plus of hockey, you round it out now.

Wideman, Borowiecki, Wiercoich, Blood, Gryba, Claeson, all of those guys have the potential to be NHLers and play in a bottom 6 or 3, 4 role with a little luck. That's a ton of depth. If people are expecting someone to come in and be the next Karlsson they are going to be disappointed. If the Sens were drafting 1st overall I don't know if you could find the next Karlsson.

Murray has done amazing to find us Karlsson and Cowen, but if you look at our D-prospects, we need a couple that can fill in as legit #3/#4 D and share the load with Cowen/Karlsson. Borocop, Gryba, Weircoche are looking more like bottom pairing D #5/#6 at this point, nothing wrong with that but we need some higher end D talent at the #3/#4 spots to fully rebuild the D - a Meszaros/Volchenkov in this draft would go a long way to solidifying our top 6 for the next 10 years.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
This dude ever gonna make the NHL? He has great production in Bing but is already 25 years old and hasnt been given a chance in the NHL yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad