Confirmed with Link: Chris Wideman Signs Two Year Entry Level Contract With Senators

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Joy Lindsay ‏ @PSBJoyOnTheSens Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
That would imply #Sens defensive prospect Chris Wideman is joining the #BSens on an amateur tryout. Career at Miami (Ohio) ended Friday.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Joy Lindsay‏@PSBJoyOnTheSensReply
Retweet

Favorite
· Open

Chris Wideman, Miami (Ohio) product & #Sens fourth-round pick in 2009, is wearing #BSens' No. 9, which previously belonged to Bobby Raymond.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
What's nice about these NCAA graduates is that they come in to Bingo at a more mature age after spending 4 seasons in University. Their learning curve IMO is not as great & they have a much better idea of the world & the sport they have decided to make their career. A little older, a little smarter & more physically ready to step in & make a difference. Obviously it also takes talent but they are closer to their prime & closer to taking the next step. Greening & Condra are perfect examples of that.

Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON
How many contracts are we at?

The Sens currently have 51 players under contract for the 2011-12 season - although the contracts for players under 20 who are returned to the CHL (Noesen, Puempel, Stone) don't count against the annual limit of 50...thus, for 2011-12, the Sens are really at 48 contracts.

This doesn't count Cole Schneider, whose contract doesn't kick in until the 2012-13 season - he is current on an amateur tryout with Binghamton. It's likely that if Chris Wideman were to sign his ELC, the contract wouldn't start until next season (and he would sign an ATO with Binghamton).

With Schneider, the Sens have 30 players under contract for 2012-13.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
The Sens currently have 51 players under contract for the 2011-12 season - although the contracts for players under 20 who are returned to the CHL (Noesen, Puempel, Stone) don't count against the annual limit of 50...thus, for 2011-12, the Sens are really at 48 contracts.

This doesn't count Cole Schneider, whose contract doesn't kick in until the 2012-13 season - he is current on an amateur tryout with Binghamton. It's likely that if Chris Wideman were to sign his ELC, the contract wouldn't start until next season (and he would sign an ATO with Binghamton).

With Schneider, the Sens have 30 players under contract for 2012-13.

Anyone know how long we have Kramer for? He was an overager and his CHL career was to be over anyway so not sure if we retain his rights.

If we lose him then that means we have Blood, Kramer, and Culek to go soon. Might be indicitive that we have to move Culek

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
If we lose him then that means we have Blood, Kramer, and Culek to go soon. Might be indicitive that we have to move Culek

Guys like Lessard, Conboy, Godfrey, Locke, Parrish will go to make room for Blood, Kramer and Culek.
There are options.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Guys like Lessard, Conboy, Godfrey, Locke, Parrish will go to make room for Blood, Kramer and Culek.
There are options.

Culek re-enters the draft before the draft before we clear the Lessard, Conboy, Locke, and Parrish contracts, (We do not actually have Godfrey on an NHL deal).

MU Jacktets*

Hey all, Miami fan here.

Had the pleasure of seeing Wideman play for 4 years at Miami. Great pucking-moving defenseman with a tremendous hockey IQ. He had a stupid good +/- over his 4 year career, +76 I believe. Would not be surprised to see him crack the NHL very soon. He is certainly better than Alec Martinez, D-man for the L.A. Kings, and fellow Miami product. Best of luck with him!

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Nice to hear.
He certainly comes from good organization. Your 07-08 squad had 7 future NHLers. Wow that's impressive.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hey all, Miami fan here.

Had the pleasure of seeing Wideman play for 4 years at Miami. Great pucking-moving defenseman with a tremendous hockey IQ. He had a stupid good +/- over his 4 year career, +76 I believe. Would not be surprised to see him crack the NHL very soon. He is certainly better than Alec Martinez, D-man for the L.A. Kings, and fellow Miami product. Best of luck with him!

Not surprised to hear this. Wideman is very underated on this board and will make a name for himself as a legit prospect.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Not surprised to hear this. Wideman is very underated on this board and will make a name for himself as a legit prospect.

i hope so, as we are thin in the defensive prospects. can anyone who has seen the kid play maybe come up with a nhl comparable?

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
i hope so, as we are thin in the defensive prospects. can anyone who has seen the kid play maybe come up with a nhl comparable?

Never seen him play but I remember ppl comparing him to Dan Boyle when he was drafted. Boyle is 5'11 and 190lbs according to Hockeydb who also played at Miami U for 4 years and then spent 3 years going up and down through the AHL and NHL.
Wideman is 5'10 and 170lbs according to Hockeydb and played 4 yeras at Miami U.

I personally dont think he'll be comparable to Dan Boyle as Boyle had 50pts and 40pts in his last two years of college while Wideman couldnt hit 30 in any year he played. Also we havent heard a single thing from either of the Murray's or the radio about Wideman makes me beleive he isnt all that good.

Wont know until he plays though so hopefully the guys in Bingo can give us a clear breakdown once he plays several games.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Murray has pumped up Wiercioch for the last couple of years and he is borderline at best so don't read too much in to it. Murray not saying anything is probably OK for Wideman. Murray likes to pump up a few prospects because he is so old he forgets the others. LOL

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
Murray has pumped up Wiercioch for the last couple of years and he is borderline at best so don't read too much in to it. Murray not saying anything is probably OK for Wideman. Murray likes to pump up a few prospects because he is so old he forgets the others. LOL

Remember when people(Murray included) thought Weircoch could crack our team out of training camp 2 seasons ago??

Germz

4th liners ftw
Aug 14, 2008
Toronto, ON

I'm glad you're here to tell us these things.

In any case, people are right to point out that we are quite thin on defensive prospects, and beyond Wiercioch, most of the ones we do have are in the Gryba / Blood / Claesson / Sdao mould. Borowiecki, who might be NHL-ready, has shown some two-way upside but it's hard to expect that to translate to the NHL, especially since he'll be used in a much more reduced role.

Wideman and Wiercioch are our only offensive D prospects of note and it's nice to have one of them look to be progressing well because it's been a rough year for Wiercioch.

I do expect Murray to address the defensive shortage in the draft, but that's unlikely to provide us with an NHL regular anytime in the next two years.

Billy Madison*

Hey all, Miami fan here.

I saw him play 2 games... poor man's Dan Boyle IMO.

There is one guy here who loves looking at a web page to determine whether or not players will get signed, haha. He thought Wideman would just fall by the waste side and go unsigned. Wideman has NHL potential to be sure and people will see it shortly.

Love the fact he is officially in the organization. One of the most underrated prospects in the organization, maybe #1 in that aspect of things.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
I saw him play 2 games... poor man's Dan Boyle IMO.

There is one guy here who loves looking at a web page to determine whether or not players will get signed, haha. He thought Wideman would just fall by the waste side and go unsigned. Wideman has NHL potential to be sure and people will see it shortly.

Love the fact he is officially in the organization. One of the most underrated prospects in the organization, maybe #1 in that aspect of things.

Thats a Mister Fantastic sized strech

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad