Confirmed with Link: Chris Wideman contract extension - 2 Years/ $1.6 Million

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Actually, LA's system would probably be one of the better ones for his skillset.

LA runs like the slowest system in the league. That team is firmly in the "slow & steady wins the race" mindset. Wier would probably fit right in.

Wiercoich in the West would be interesting given all the big forwards, Patty might never win a puck battle.

Going to be tough to move him IMO, he is slow, lacks mobility and soft, not a great combination for a 6/7 D.

Of course I am hoping some GM feels otherwise, but it will surprise me if he brings back even a 3rd round pick.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Wiercoich in the West would be interesting given all the big forwards, Patty might never win a puck battle.

Going to be tough to move him IMO, he is slow, lacks mobility and soft, not a great combination for a 6/7 D.

Of course I am hoping some GM feels otherwise, but it will surprise me if he brings back even a 3rd round pick.

Hopefully there's a GM enamoured with advanced stats and Corsi because no one looks better on paper than Patrick Wiercoch.

He's the sword the more vocal of the analytics community want to die on (last year it was Condra) so it'll be interesting to see if his play translates to another team or if he just fades away (like Condra).

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Are you suggesting we reunite him with his old line-mate, Boro?
Get that man back on the top line DC

I was thinking more of sitting Turris out and giving Boro #1 C duties and let Hoffman throw pucks off his ass and into the net.

That's how Abdelkader scores most of his goals. Let Zetterberg bank it off of you.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'd take both of those guys ahead of PW for the 3rd pairing.

If you dont like Boro you will hate Gudas he is aweful. Basically a worse version of Boro who takes more stupid penalties and makes more stupid mistakes. He can shoot the puck better though.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Good amount for a 6/7 Dman. Wideman has been useful this year.

They still need to find a stabilizer for that 3rd pairing the way they found Phaneuf. I don't want to see Chabot rushed next year, unless he earns his spot hands down.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If you dont like Boro you will hate Gudas he is aweful. Basically a worse version of Boro who takes more stupid penalties and makes more stupid mistakes. He can shoot the puck better though.

Gudas is twice the defenceman Boro will ever be.

Philly has done a lot of work with him. He'll bever be a really good defenceman, but he's been quietly very decent this year.

... Gudas does take some dumb-*** penalties though, that much is dead-on accurate. Still, I'd take Gudas over Boro 106 times out of 100.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Good for Wideman, don't mind it, but I'd like to see someone bigger and with a bit more identity in that #5 spot. Maybe Wideman steps up his game in year 2 but so far he's pretty one dimensional.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Actually, LA's system would probably be one of the better ones for his skillset.

LA runs like the slowest system in the league. That team is firmly in the "slow & steady wins the race" mindset. Wier would probably fit right in.

I agree, the forwards would give him all the support he needs, and it's probably a perfect match for his skill set, but I just don't see Sutter liking him at all.

SensAreSoClose

Apr 5, 2014
Great deal, locked up a bottom pairing D man who came through the organization for next to nothing. These players are needed.

Best way I can describe Wideman? He doesn't make big mistakes and plays as consistent as can be.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm honestly a little surprised we gave him a deal but we really don't have anything else for the right side on the 3rd pair besides Wideman and Wiercioch who's going to make more money.

I'm fine with this deal, Wideman has been playing like a 3rd pairing guy and that's his role. Hopefully that means that we are going to trade Wiercioch. I think people underestimate Wierciochs value on the market, especially when a guy like Weber gets that kind of return, not to mention that Wiercioch is still a RFA.

If we can get a 2nd I'll be happy, even a 2nd in 2017 would be fine to replace the pick lost in the Phaneuf trade. Would mean we basically traded Lindberg and Wiercioch for Phaneuf ... lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad