Confirmed with Link: Chris Wideman contract extension - 2 Years/ $1.6 Million

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The Baker's Man is on borrowed time in Ottawa at this point.

I hope they can get a good return for him, and send him somewhere he'll be in a good situation for his skill set.

There seems to be a premium on D this deadline, I think we can get a 2nd round pick for him. Maybe Edmonton will want him to play with Gryba? (I know I said good situation... I just can't see LA wanting him despite their need for a Dman).

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I hope they can get a good return for him, and send him somewhere he'll be in a good situation for his skill set.

There seems to be a premium on D this deadline, I think we can get a 2nd round pick for him. Maybe Edmonton will want him to play with Gryba? (I know I said good situation... I just can't see LA wanting him despite their need for a Dman).

Actually, LA's system would probably be one of the better ones for his skillset.

LA runs like the slowest system in the league. That team is firmly in the "slow & steady wins the race" mindset. Wier would probably fit right in.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
Actually, LA's system would probably be one of the better ones for his skillset.

LA runs like the slowest system in the league. That team is firmly in the "slow & steady wins the race" mindset. Wier would probably fit right in.

Yeah I agree. Even Luke Schenn has looked semi-decent with LA

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

I'll be surprised if we get a 2nd, very happily surprised.

With that said, with Gudas being offered 2 2nds, anything is possible.

PW doesn't seem like the type of D (Polak, Gudas, Hamhuis, big, strong defensive guys) teams are looking to acquire as deadline deals. I realize teams trading for him would be looking to the future.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

No one is giving a 2nd for a player that is often a healthy scratch on a non playoff team.

Wiercioch is an offensive D who's defense is terrible. Oh, but is his offense pretty good to make up for his bad defense? You tell me. 50-0-5-5. nope.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
2 years 800k per year

Not bad at all

This team sure does love its cheap depth defencemen.

Good deal when you look at it as a low risk /medium reward situation with little potential downside. Right in our wheelhouse.

I still don't expect much out of Wideman outside of being a replacement-level guy you can throw out on your 3rd pairing and not get burned, but even if he ends up being our 7th dedenceman, the cap hit and term really is acceptable for that role.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Good deal. Congrats to Chris for making it. Good job by the team to get a regular player in the 4th round of the draft.

Stone, Hoffman, Smith, Pageau, Wideman & Dzingle all players that contrribute to this team in a meaningful way that were drafted by the team in round 3 or later. I think that's very, very, impressive.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON

Good deal when you look at it as a low risk /medium reward situation with little potential downside. Right in our wheelhouse.

This team also seemed to love its expensive depth defencemen the last couple of years, that was the big problem.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

You know when a young-ish guy signs a deal like this he doesn't feel confident he'd get better, or anything, as a UFA.

Can't complain, hope he can Tom Priessing the bottom pair/7th D.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Great deal for a bottom pairing D. I'd trade Wier and bring up Claesson to rotate with Boro.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Good point... They can also afford to have a softer player like him in the lineup with the size and toughness they have.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'll be surprised if we get a 2nd, very happily surprised.

With that said, with Gudas being offered 2 2nds, anything is possible.

PW doesn't seem like the type of D (Polak, Gudas, Hamhuis, big, strong defensive guys) teams are looking to acquire as deadline deals. I realize teams trading for him would be looking to the future.

Polak gets two 2nds and Gudas is getting bidders for a 2nd.... Wier might get a late first at this rate. lol

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
That Borocrap-Wideman pairing was ugly last night. Stuck in their own zone everytime they were on the ice.

Trade Boro. Give me Weircioch- Wiseman pairing instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad