Recalled/Assigned: Chris Wideman called up [upd: 1/5 - Returned]

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
must win? really?? anyhow, seems unlikely he'll play
Yes really. They lose those 2 games and it's pretty much over. Don't know what your definition of must win is, but for a team that was sitting at odds of less than 20% to make the playoffs and where those two losses drops that to around 10% versus two wins that improve that to around 30%; that pretty much covers my definition of must win.

And to all who want to see Wideman play; from the Citizen:

It appears, Cameron must be thinking along the same lines. He's not putting a Dman with zero NHL experience in these games unless he has no choice.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Better make this count, Chris. It's probably your last real shot at the nhl.

awesome. One strike and you are out, that's how you develop prospects

Back-to-back. I'm assuming we see Phillips scratched tomorrow as a "rest day", Wideman gets a shot with Gryba.

Seems unlikely they would put him on his wrong side for first nhl game. If wideman plays it will be for gryba

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
awesome. One strike and you are out, that's how you develop prospects

Seems unlikely they would put him on his wrong side for first nhl game. If wideman plays it will be for gryba
And that wouldn't really be fair to Gryba, would it? He has been fairly steady all yr & hasn't done anything to come out of the lineup for a very small, soft AHL player. We see how tough a time Karlsson has trying to move guys out from in front of the net, I don't think we need another small defenceman in the lineup who is questionable defensively. I guess most just look at pts & that is their defining criteria. :shakehead

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Sometimes it's not about the player coming out, and all about having a look at the player coming in. At some point, management has to make decisions about assets, and decide whether to let them go or invite them into future plans for the team. Odd for people to think it's a slight to a guy coming out so that Murray and Dorion can have a look at a player before deciding his future with the team.

Not everything is a divisive issue, and not every decision has a winner and a victim. If a player had to come out to have a look at Widman, they would be told why, and it's doubtful that tears would be shed. Having said that, this might just me an NHL cheque reward for Widman at this point, given that the coach said he was't likely to play.

It would be far worse for us to be lamenting two years down the road if he becomes a solid NHLer, that day we argued not to have a look, in order save Gryba the perceived blow to his ego.

Let's see what happens.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
And that wouldn't really be fair to Gryba, would it? He has been fairly steady all yr & hasn't done anything to come out of the lineup for a very small, soft AHL player. We see how tough a time Karlsson has trying to move guys out from in front of the net, I don't think we need another small defenceman in the lineup who is questionable defensively. I guess most just look at pts & that is their defining criteria. :shakehead

Jimminy Christmas, NO ONE said Gryba should come out for Wideman. Get a grip!

The post above me touched on it, this is a purely financial reward for Wideman's good play. He will only come in if injuries force him up the depth chart.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON

Holy overreaction

Nobody is saying he should take grybas spot, but if they intend to give him a game it's the logical choice instead of playing him on the off side

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
After yesterday's game I'd sit Ceci before Gryba. It wouldn't hurt for Ceci to get a game off to reset.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I would like to see him get a game or two before he's sent back. I think we could really benefit from having another solid puck mover to balance out our D pairings.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
"Chris Wideman is a real good buddy of mine. He reminds me a lot of Karlsson...Without the speed, the shot or the vision..."

- Ben Bishop

Busting his buddy's cajones...hahaha

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
"Chris Wideman is a real good buddy of mine. He reminds me a lot of Karlsson...Without the speed, the shot or the vision..."

- Ben Bishop

Busting his buddy's cajones...hahaha

That's pretty hilarious.

And accurate. From what I've seen, he plays nothing like Karlsson. The only comparable would be that they both are leading (or co-leading) their teams in scoring

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Can someone provide a scouting report on Chris? I havent watched a single Bingo game this year and in the past didnt really focus on him

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yes really. They lose those 2 games and it's pretty much over. Don't know what your definition of must win is, but for a team that was sitting at odds of less than 20% to make the playoffs and where those two losses drops that to around 10% versus two wins that improve that to around 30%; that pretty much covers my definition of must win.

And to all who want to see Wideman play; from the Citizen:

It appears, Cameron must be thinking along the same lines. He's not putting a Dman with zero NHL experience in these games unless he has no choice.

The hunt for tenth

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Ben Bishop's scouting report is pretty accurate.

Yea, he's an excellent prototypical PPQB. Makes the simple and right plays, he has a great shot, imo which has gotten much better since he first arrived. He has great breakout pass, uses his stick and positioning a lot. Crisp passes. Gets the puck through, good on the rush. Very smart player. Defensively he can get outmuscled against bigger guys but can hold his own with smart plays. Needs great defensive partner to get best outta him.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
The downside to playing Wideman seems small IMO. This team is not gonna lift the cup this year, and a few more wins just gets us a worse 1st rounder. Phillips is looking even slower and older, so maybe Wideman could simply switch sticks and replace Big Rig ;)

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
come on man. at least get him in one game. are we not going to see schneider at all either?

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Guy's been tearing up the AHL.

Unfair to call him up and send him right back down without getting a game in.

IMHO if you put him into the lineup right now he's our second-best offensive D-man after Karlsson, immediately.

This team needs scoring (along with defence and effort, but blah), why not give the kid a chance? :shakehead

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
I don't get why some people are unhappy he didn't get to play. It was made very clear by the Sens that Wideman was not going to play. He was up strictly for insurance. And I would be certain they told him that when they called him up.

And the Sens have been watching Wideman for quite some time now; 4 years in college, 2.5 years in Bingo/Elmira and a nunch od development camps and pre season games; so I don't think they need to see him play an actual NHL game to know what they have. And I doubt they give a rat's behind about putting him in a game to appease some random fans on HF just so that they can get a look at him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad