Player Discussion Chris Tierney (C)

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Man tough crowd in here!

I like Tierney this year, and I’m really happy for the guy. All of a sudden it’s Tierney, Ennis, and Pinto that are making the PP look good lol.

I’m glad to hear that the lackluster play last year was due to back issues, which makes sense because they kind of fit with what some folks complained about in regards to Spezza at times, when we find out later it was his back.

Anyways, I like supporting our embattled players against much of the fan backlash, so I’ll continue to be happy for him and his recent play.

I also feel like he is being severely underrated all of a sudden for his PK work. He is excellent there and is also strangely dangerous offensively on the PK in an oh so Tierney-like sneaky style.

If this is the player he is, I’m in no rush to move him at all until a youngster forces him from the lineup, and at centre I don’t see that happening any time soon. We shouldn’t be looking to make more holes in the lineup. Even Grieg in the lineup doesn’t bump Tierney out unless we’re dead set on keeping White.

You still feel the same way? He's a nothing player.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
What's odd is his faceoffs have gone off a cliff. Last year in SJ and first two in Ottawa he was around 51% - decent enough. This season and last he is 43% and 45%, brutal. At least if he was still a passable faceoff guy he might have some decent deadline value but he is playing like a total plug these days. I had hopes he would have a solid year due to contract season after his hot start and they'd be able to net a nice return for him.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
"Nothing" as in you'll never win with him in your middle-6.

Eh, again I disagree. Tierney is not the problem on this team. He doesn’t do a whole lot on his own, but he can play at the level of linemates and can put up points in the NHL.

Far down the list of players to be concerned about on this team, especially given that he’ll be gone soon.

Anyways, let’s not debate Tierney any further. ;)

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Hes still hot trash.

His skating at the start of the year looked the best I've ever seen previously, but looks like he's back on the cheeseburger diet and lost it again.

Hes horrible and after clamoring for so many years wanting this guy gone I hope this is it with Tierney.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Hes still hot trash.

His skating at the start of the year looked the best I've ever seen previously, but looks like he's back on the cheeseburger diet and lost it again.

Hes horrible and after clamoring for so many years wanting this guy gone I hope this is it with Tierney.
Well he certainly won’t be re signed.

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida
People love bashing the low hanging fruit (bottom 6/bottom pair) players as a way to avoid facing the truth..

When the skilled "good players" struggle, it's due to the coach & system. When Tierney, Mete, Watson, etc. struggle it's all because they are trash players. Interesting stuff..

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I'm amazed by how lazy and utterly useless Tierney is. Dude gives zero effort on the ice and just floats around doing nothing.

I can't wait until this dude is gone. What a waste of 7M over the past two years.

I used to not mind him cuz at least he tried out there. Now? He's not even trying to try.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
This guy fell off since the start of his time in Ottawa. He used to be a nice middle 6 player. A little soft but decent skill and defensive ability.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He is an NHL player IMO, but he is out of place in Ottawa with the way DJ wants to play. I personally can’t stand him but at least it’s his last year so I can deal with it.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
rafiki-simba.gif

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
How disappointed in his play does DJ tell Dorion to be? Not likely enough to waive him although he has surprised us this year already.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Should have traded Tierney at the 2019/20 deadline like I suggested back when he was worth something.

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
Not trying to pick a whipping boy, this team would be just as bad without this guy. It just blows my mind how quickly his game fell off.

Back in 2018 he nearly had 20 goals and was pretty much a lock for 40 points during a ~4 year span. Then out of nowhere his game takes a huge step back last season. It came out in the summer he was playing through injuries so I figured he’d rest up and get back to form this year.

He’s somehow been even worse. I can’t remember watching a player struggle offensively to this degree. Every time he picks up the puck in transition it’s one of two options: he’s too slow and a forward knocks him off the puck or he makes a terrible pass to a teammate and kills the play.

Most depth players are able to get by without really being noticed. Tierney on the other hand makes multiple mistakes every game that cause the average fan to mumble “what the hell was that” to themselves as they watch from their living room.

He’s 27 years old and technically should still be in his prime years. I’m genuinely very curious as to why his game completely fell apart and wonder if injuries were a factor.

Chances are he signs a one year deal (not with us) next year and it’s a make or break season for him. Hopefully he’s able to find his game again but if he’s getting health bombed on one of the thinnest forward groups in the league he might be toast.

Hopefully it works out for him he looks like a good dude.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
People on this board have been saying for years he wasn't good. The people that were defending him were only looking at the points let's face it. He's always been a bland player with very little to like. His footspeed and skating has always been an issue and it's just getting worse and worse as the league is moving faster and faster. He has an absolute muffin of a shot, always had. He doesn't drive the play, never has. Only thing he could do was pass the puck and he would inevitably get points playing with players better than himself. Intensity is definitely not part of his vocabulary.

Glad he's gone the extension was a headscratcher a couple years back. Vast majority of people didn't want him re-signed, myself included. I was hoping they would've kept Namestnikov over him back then or honestly any UFA. That contract was going to be bad it was clear as day. 4M for this guy is ridiculous. There had been early signs for years on this guy, many many people called his signing a mistake before he signed.

Doesn't really matter because he's off the books now but it'll always be a mystery how some people liked this player.

Last edited:

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Reminder DumbDumb Dorion paid him more than 4 million dollars this year and he will walk for nothing

Garbage GM on his last string

Never having to watch Tierney play again will be a blessing

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Reminder DumbDumb Dorion paid him more than 4 million dollars this year and he will walk for nothing

Garbage GM on his last string

Never having to watch Tierney play again will be a blessing

Fun times.

Some of my takes on Tierney in 2019 :

Concerning Tierney, I’ve talked about it enough already. Yes he has good point totals this year thanks to his hockey sense and the golden opportunity he’s getting this year; but don’t get surprised if he gets leapfrogged by younger and better talents in the next few years. His skillset is pretty average for NHL standards. He’s not going to end up the 11th best player on this list.

Tierney is actually probably at his peak already and I would bet quite a lot that this season will be his best offensively

Conclusion, there's NO likelihood of reaching potential with Tirney because he already reached it, so of course it's easy to "project him" because wysiwyg, but the goal here is to have the balls to evaluate other players and project them vs their "likelihood of reaching potential". If you vote Tierney, it's because you are convinced that no one else (that you rated higher in ability) will somewhat reach his potential and end up better, which would be terrible and means the Sens are in the bottom for several more years.

Most people understand that Tierney, while having a great season, is benefiting from a golden opportunity that probably won't happen again, except maybe next season where he might/should be shopped around. I really doubt he gets played in the top-6 of another team.

The fact that we envision 9 players to be better is good news but if there's more guys ending up better that's even better news. Tierney can't be one of our 6 best forwards in 2 years, or we're in trouble

Right now Tierney is doing well and he’s capable but I think he will eventually get passed on the depth chart by some of the youngsters that we’re going to vote before him. Nice problem to have as we should sell high on him and get some interesting picks to try and hit a homerun.

When you have Dorion as a GM, it's almost annoying to be right and watch him do nothing or miss the boats entirely. I wouldn't trust him with a 100$ bill.

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'm eating crow. I thought Tierney could be our long term 3C since he wasn't a defensive liability and could slow down the game...Now he slows everything down to the point where he forgets the word hustle exists.

Dorion should've tried to move him before all the injuries kicked in or tried to upgrade on him. I just hope we don't bring back Tierney, even for a super cheap deal. Time to move on.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't think Tierney is a whipping boy. His game has tailed off .. He battled injury last year and I would not be surprised if that lingered through this year as well. I don't think he is completely useless but his tempo of play and his tools don't really match what the team is trying to do. His play has not suggested he should be up the lineup and more so it has suggested he should be out of the lineup. In the right circumstance he may be able to see/make a play that Gambrell may not but overall Gambrell's speed and tenacity is more valuable to a 4th line role. The writing is on the wall for him. He wasn't traded. He'll be a UFA and the Sens will move on from him as they should. I hope he catches on somewhere I just don't think he has a lot left for a regular top 9 spot at this level and I don't think he can be an energy guy on a 4th line.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I would rather watch Kelly play than continue to watch Tierney. Kelly really hustles and hits. Tierney slowly skates up and down the ice and never hits anyone. I think the fact that he was not traded at the TDL reflects that he has limited to no future value. I fear what Dorion is going to do with him.

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021

Fun times.

Some of my takes on Tierney in 2019 :

Concerning Tierney, I’ve talked about it enough already. Yes he has good point totals this year thanks to his hockey sense and the golden opportunity he’s getting this year; but don’t get surprised if he gets leapfrogged by younger and better talents in the next few years. His skillset is pretty average for NHL standards. He’s not going to end up the 11th best player on this list.

Tierney is actually probably at his peak already and I would bet quite a lot that this season will be his best offensively

Conclusion, there's NO likelihood of reaching potential with Tirney because he already reached it, so of course it's easy to "project him" because wysiwyg, but the goal here is to have the balls to evaluate other players and project them vs their "likelihood of reaching potential". If you vote Tierney, it's because you are convinced that no one else (that you rated higher in ability) will somewhat reach his potential and end up better, which would be terrible and means the Sens are in the bottom for several more years.

Most people understand that Tierney, while having a great season, is benefiting from a golden opportunity that probably won't happen again, except maybe next season where he might/should be shopped around. I really doubt he gets played in the top-6 of another team.

The fact that we envision 9 players to be better is good news but if there's more guys ending up better that's even better news. Tierney can't be one of our 6 best forwards in 2 years, or we're in trouble

Right now Tierney is doing well and he’s capable but I think he will eventually get passed on the depth chart by some of the youngsters that we’re going to vote before him. Nice problem to have as we should sell high on him and get some interesting picks to try and hit a homerun.

When you have Dorion as a GM, it's almost annoying to be right and watch him do nothing or miss the boats entirely. I wouldn't trust him with a 100$ bill.
Can you please be our GM?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad