Value of: Chris Tanev

HitterD

Apr 25, 2022
Calgary
Well the Avs don't look good with Nuke out but yeah what do you think the price would be for Markstrom ?
Depends on if the Avs would need retention on the contract.

If no retention - probably a 1st and a pretty good to very good prospect

With retention for 2.5 years? at least another 1st.

The Flames have been willing to take cap dumps instead though (If you even consider Kuzmenko a cap dump)

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Depends on if the Avs would need retention on the contract.

If no retention - probably a 1st and a pretty good to very good prospect

With retention for 2.5 years? at least another 1st.

The Flames have been willing to take cap dumps instead though (If you even consider Kuzmenko a cap dump)
RyJo ? lol. yes thanks I'd do a 1st and a prospect not named Ritchie

edit: Gulyayev any interest ?

Reactions: HitterD

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well the Avs don't look good with Nuke out but yeah what do you think the price would be for Markstrom ?
It's so hard to say because the market for him could be quite large. Carolina, Detroit, Los Angeles, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Toronto... Etc should all be inquiring about him if they were smart.

Reactions: Alienblood

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

What would TB even give up? People say the Leafs don't have much but they are chalked full compared to TB, especially after TB gave an entire draft class for Jeanote.

Vancouver just dealt their 1st but I'm sure they could figure it out.

Ottawa makes no sense they aren't giving a 1st round pick because A they suck and B they already have to surrender one within 3 years they aren't trading another one.

Mar 26, 2010
Did you already forget how much the Leafs paid for O'Reilly?
Tanev will get a 1st or a 2nd plus because GMs don't care how old he's going to be. Can he still be a solid piece to win in the playoffs? The answer is yes
I certainly hope it is not Toronto!

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Every year we hear similar speculation on pending UFAs, and every year we have a massive amount of confused fans, who’ve convinced themselves a player is worth much more than he’s traded for. Just look at Schenn and Gavrikov last year. One didn’t even get a 2nd, and the other went with a starting goaltender, and a whole lot of cap space in return. Some of the speculation hit ridiculous.

Every trade is it’s own set of circumstances. The speculation the Leafs would have to offer a 1st because THEY don’t have 2nds for 3 years, has now turned into a 1st and a high end prospect from anyone?

If they could get what Leddy went for 2 years ago, they should be really happy. A 2nd, a dman who needed a change of scenery, and opportunity to play more, and a bottom 6 rostered player, they can turn into a 4th rounder next year. Doesn’t mean that dman turns into another Walman, but a deal like that would likely be best case scenario.

I wouldn’t rule out a 1st, but only for one reason really. We may see more later 1st Rounders traded this year, because of the way prospect value between 22ish OA and 40-45 is playing out. There’s not a substantial difference in skill. Players drafted from 20-50 in this draft, are almost all going to be 5 year development kids. At least as a whole. Where last year we went 50 deep in prospects much closer to the NHL. It’s due to all the dmen in this draft obviously.

So we shouldn’t rule out a 1st, but nobody should expect one.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Aren’t the Flames right on the edge of the playoffs? Can the afford to give up Tanev for only futures at this point? They might move him but maybe the return is a young D with upside, who plays right now, and a second?

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Aren’t the Flames right on the edge of the playoffs? Can the afford to give up Tanev for only futures at this point? They might move him but maybe the return is a young D with upside, who plays right now, and a second?

I don't think they, as a franchise, could stand to lose Tanev and Hanifin for nothing.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don't think they, as a franchise, could stand to lose Tanev and Hanifin for nothing.
For sure, but they are still on the cusp of the playoffs. That’s why I’m thinking any return for either player will return a young D man who will play now. Which means (likely) the picks will be lower. So for Tanev a young D (who has plays now) and a second.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Every year we hear similar speculation on pending UFAs, and every year we have a massive amount of confused fans, who’ve convinced themselves a player is worth much more than he’s traded for. Just look at Schenn and Gavrikov last year. One didn’t even get a 2nd, and the other went with a starting goaltender, and a whole lot of cap space in return. Some of the speculation hit ridiculous.
Also similarly, every year there are trades where the return is so egregious you also have a bunch of confused fans.

Only 1 or 2 massive homers think Tanev would return a 1st + a great prospect. Move of us know his value is likely a 2nd and a B prospect, but a desperate GM or a bit of a bidding could push that up to a 1st, even then that is likely to include a cap dump or retention.

Also frankly comparing Tanev to Schenn is pretty laughable. Schenn just had a bounce back season last year and doesn't move nearly as well as Tanev.

Reactions: johnnystormcgy

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Every trade is it’s own set of circumstances. The speculation the Leafs would have to offer a 1st because THEY don’t have 2nds for 3 years, has now turned into a 1st and a high end prospect from anyone?

If they could get what Leddy went for 2 years ago, they should be really happy. A 2nd, a dman who needed a change of scenery, and opportunity to play more, and a bottom 6 rostered player, they can turn into a 4th rounder next year. Doesn’t mean that dman turns into another Walman, but a deal like that would likely be best case scenario.

I wouldn’t rule out a 1st, but only for one reason really. We may see more later 1st Rounders traded this year, because of the way prospect value between 22ish OA and 40-45 is playing out. There’s not a substantial difference in skill. Players drafted from 20-50 in this draft, are almost all going to be 5 year development kids. At least as a whole. Where last year we went 50 deep in prospects much closer to the NHL. It’s due to all the dmen in this draft obviously.

So we shouldn’t rule out a 1st, but nobody should expect one.
A 1st would be top of the market for me. Actual value is a 2nd and 3rd. It seems a lot of teams are interested though, so a 1st wouldn't shock me. Schenn and Tanev aren't really comparable in any way in my opinion though. One is a bottom pairing guy who brings a physical element (like Zadorov without the skating). The other plays among the toughest competition in the league. Tanev plays top 10 by percentage of minutes against elite competition. Him and Hanifin do the heavy lifting for us and would on any other team too.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Tanev is a UFA in 30 games Literally, and going on 34 yo. Yeah, 1st ain’t not happening.
He's getting at least a 2nd, considering it will be a late 2nd in a relatively weak draft. It's supply and demand. There are playoff-bound teams that desperately need him. So they'll compete against one another to get him. And he'll go to the highest bidder (Unless it's Edmonton. I can't see the Flames helping the Oilers at all.)

I'm sure the Leafs would be happy to pay a late 2nd for him. They just happen not to have a 2nd for the next few years.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He's getting at least a 2nd, considering it will be a late 2nd in a relatively weak draft. It's supply and demand. There are playoff-bound teams that desperately need him. So they'll compete against one another to get him. And he'll go to the highest bidder (Unless it's Edmonton. I can't see the Flames helping the Oilers at all.)

I'm sure the Leafs would be happy to pay a late 2nd for him. They just happen not to have a 2nd for the next few years.
Wonder how many games Rielly is going to get? He's their only bonafide top 4 defenseman. You kind of have to squint to see any of the other guys as top 4. Leafs could find themselves in a dogfight for the playoffs with no top 4 guys if he gets 10 games.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It would be a weird fit in Ottawa anyway.
Not really. It's a team with talent that plays the wrong way. Ottawa needs some of Calgary's right way to play and Calgary needs some of Ottawa's actual talent. Kuzmenko and Sharangovich shouldn't be the most talented players on a team.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I don't think Tanev is waiving his NTC to teams that aren't in playoff contention.

He only has 10 teams, and the list is submitted in the off-season, some teams that looked like playoff contenders (Ottawa) are now in the lottery mix but could still be within his trade list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad