Value of: Chris Tanev

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Sadly as a Flames fan probably not as much as you would think. He's old and often injured. Lot of tough tough miles on Chris. He at one time was an excellent defense first top pairing player. That's no longer true. His play this year has honestly been closer to 3rd pairing than top 4. Slow to react and making a lot of desperation type plays. Being on a team that's clearly going nowhere probably hasn't helped, because he's really not far removed from being one of the top shutdown dmen in the league.

Maybe a new team, a contending team, would reinvigorate him. Maybe it wouldn't. I would be happy if Conroy got a 2nd and a B+ type prospect for him. Or a 3rd and a promising young RHD having trouble making an impact.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Would have gotten a first easily if traded a year or two ago. Now, probably something along the lines of a 2nd+3rd+cap or thereabouts.

Seems like the Flames have 3 of the most coveted defensemen on the market this year. Conroy's going to be very busy
The rhetoric around Tanev before he signed with the Flames was that he was never going to be worth that much. From what I've seen of him, his play has remained pretty comparable, I just think it's hilarious how much his stock has "increased".

I'd agree wholly about his current value though.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Doing this thread to try and see what Tanev value is in comparison to Zadorov.

Right now Zadorov rumours are in full force but I think Tanev has some value too.
Tanev as a RD probably has slightly more value but neither returns a 1st even with retention outright. Sure some deal could be a 2nd that becomes a 1st if team makes finals and he plays 50%.

other factors are things like a 3rd team pass thru retaining more. If another team is included instead of a 2nd it’s a 3rd, 4th, on a prospect. With thr 3rd team getting one of those things.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Sadly as a Flames fan probably not as much as you would think. He's old and often injured. Lot of tough tough miles on Chris. He at one time was an excellent defense first top pairing player. That's no longer true. His play this year has honestly been closer to 3rd pairing than top 4. Slow to react and making a lot of desperation type plays. Being on a team that's clearly going nowhere probably hasn't helped, because he's really not far removed from being one of the top shutdown dmen in the league.

Maybe a new team, a contending team, would reinvigorate him. Maybe it wouldn't. I would be happy if Conroy got a 2nd and a B+ type prospect for him. Or a 3rd and a promising young RHD having trouble making an impact.

I thought you were a Canes fan.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I f***ing love Chris Tanev. He is still one of my favourite players in the NHL. It never mattered that he went to Calgary. Our fat piece of shit f***'tard gm ghosted Tanev when Tanev told his agent to get it done with Vancouver cause ol' f***'tard Simple Jim was chasing OEL and the worst trade in the cap era.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Tanev and Zadorov are in the same boat, and have similar values IMO.

In a vacuum they're both probably worth a 2nd and a 'B' prospect.

But we're not in a vacuum and GMs tend get stupid around the deadline and there is always 1 or 2 dipshits that overpay and offer a 1st for defenseman that shouldn't be worth that much. Both Zadorov and Tanev are the type of defensemen that those dipshits tend to overpay for.

Also with so little cap space, eating 50% and taking back a cap dump may add a little extra value too.

I really like the idea that @ChaoticOrange suggested for Tanev which was Tanev @ 50% for Holloway

I know Leafs fans love to throw Klingberg in trade proposals right now, but I doubt he is moved and it seems more likely that they'd try and include Jarnkrok... so I could see Tanev/Zadorov @ 50% for Jarnkrok, a 'B' prospect and a 1st. With the Jarnkrok dump upping the pick from what would essentially be a 2nd to a 1st.

Reactions: Fig

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Beauvillier 50% retained + Myers 50% retained + 2nd

Beauvillier and Myers can then be flipped for a 2nd-4th + 3rd-7th.

Ledge And Dairy

The rhetoric around Tanev before he signed with the Flames was that he was never going to be worth that much. From what I've seen of him, his play has remained pretty comparable, I just think it's hilarious how much his stock has "increased".

I'd agree wholly about his current value though.
In the past 3 years since joining the Flames this is where he's ranked among all regular defensemen in the league:
#1, 2, and 3 is defensive WAR
#1, 15, and 5 in xdefensive WAR
#1, 19, and 91 in 5v5 GA/60
#3, 15, and 4 in 5v5 SA/60
#2, 27, and 5 in 5v5 FA/60
#4, 23, and 7 in 5v5 CA/60
#2, 15, and 3 in 5v5 xGA/60

Unlike a lot of the players that ranked above him too he played those minutes almost primarily against elite competition. Over the past 3 years has hands down been the best defensive defenseman in the entire league

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Tanev and Zadorov are in the same boat, and have similar values IMO.

In a vacuum they're both probably worth a 2nd and a 'B' prospect.

But we're not in a vacuum and GMs tend get stupid around the deadline and there is always 1 or 2 dipshits that overpay and offer a 1st for defenseman that shouldn't be worth that much. Both Zadorov and Tanev are the type of defensemen that those dipshits tend to overpay for.

Also with so little cap space, eating 50% and taking back a cap dump may add a little extra value too.

I really like the idea that @ChaoticOrange suggested for Tanev which was Tanev @ 50% for Holloway

I know Leafs fans love to throw Klingberg in trade proposals right now, but I doubt he is moved and it seems more likely that they'd try and include Jarnkrok... so I could see Tanev/Zadorov @ 50% for Jarnkrok, a 'B' prospect and a 1st. With the Jarnkrok dump upping the pick from what would essentially be a 2nd to a 1st.

I am not sure what makes you think Jarnkork is a cap dump, the guy has 9 points in 15 games at just over 2 million you take that all day.

I think the body going back, or the dump if you want to consider him that would be Timmins.

Because he's a D man, and they probably want a replacement D, he's not a rental so that would probably appeal to Calgary, he's a Dubas guy so Treliving has no ties to Timmins.

I think Timmins would be the body going out in a Leafs!Flames deal not Jarnkork.

Besides we know Treliving likes Jarnkork because he brought Jarnkork to Calgary

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I am not sure what makes you think Jarnkork is a cap dump, the guy has 9 points in 15 games at just over 2 million you take that all day.

I think the body going back, or the dump if you want to consider him that would be Timmins.

Because he's a D man, and they probably want a replacement D, he's not a rental so that would probably appeal to Calgary, he's a Dubas guy so Treliving has no ties to Timmins.

I think Timmins would be the body going out in a Leafs!Flames deal not Jarnkork.

Besides we know Treliving likes Jarnkork because he brought Jarnkork to Calgary
Treliving also let him walk as a FA in Calgary after he produced next to nothing, but I had no idea he was doing so well for y'all, I'm happy for him. But yeah, anyone can be the cap dump really.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Treliving also let him walk as a FA in Calgary after he produced next to nothing, but I had no idea he was doing so well for y'all, I'm happy for him. But yeah, anyone can be the cap dump really.

Yeah he's been very, very good ever since he got here really.

Timmins is more likely the guy.

Or if they can somehow land both Zadorov and Tanev, because there are reports Treliving wants both then maybe Lilly.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah he's been very, very good ever since he got here really.

Timmins is more likely the guy.

Or if they can somehow land both Zadorov and Tanev, because there are reports Treliving wants both then maybe Lilly.
If he wants both, wouldn't you need to shed about $3m? And that's 3m off the active roster, both Timmins and Lili are on LTIR and all that space is being used, so they don't really work as cap dumps.

I did miss Reaves when I was looking at possible cap dumps.

With how much cap you'd have to shed and how many picks you've already unloaded, I'm not sure the Leafs are going to be able to much of anything this season for trades.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I like Tanev but as good as he is he’s not worth it if he comes in and then gets injured and then you need to call up some AHL guy to replace him meaning the solution you got isn’t able to play. So I would rather a player less talented who I know will be in the lineup for 82 games.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I think the blueprint for any Chris Tanev trade is the Josh Manson acquisition that Colorado made 1.5y ago:

COL: Josh Manson (50% of $4.1m retained, pending UFA)

ANA: COL 2023 2nd round pick + Drew Helleson (B/C level defense prospect)

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Much like I think Zadorov is going for more than people think. I equally think Tanev is going for less. Every player on my beer league team shoots at least twice as hard as him and he's lost a step for sure.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Probably a 3rd. Maybe a 2nd. He’s not close to being the player he was at the start of his contract, which isn’t surprising given his age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad