Friedman: Chris Tanev is a difference-maker and there is a lot of interest in him

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I believe the rumor was Kadri and was it Nonis or Burke?

Sorry, it was the 2013 deadline, Luongo actually left the ice as the trade was supposedly done, it was Scrivens and 2 second round picks...Nonis pulled out last minute.

At no time was Kadri talked about for Luongo...Gardiner, yes (Leafs said no), Frattin, yes (Leafs said no)...Leafs even declined to move Carter Ashton.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Sorry, it was the 2013 deadline, Luongo actually left the ice as the trade was supposedly done, it was Scrivens and 2 second round picks...Nonis pulled out last minute.

At no time was Kadri talked about for Luongo...Gardiner, yes (Leafs said no), Frattin, yes (Leafs said no)...Leafs even declined to move Carter Ashton.

So, he was basically a cap dump from the Leafs' perspective.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

My bad. I do remember that part of Scrivens being involved.

Regardless. This is a different situation and a different player

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
If you google TSN 1040 Vancouver. Under listen live; front page half way down you'll see...

Kuzma: Trading Tanev for 3rd overall makes sense, but how do you replace him?

If this is what Benning is asking for, then alot of teams are out. Thank god we have competent mgmt that wouldn't pay that price now.

JonnyCanuck604

Oct 28, 2016
Speaking solely for the Leafs, we can't meet JB's price. Canucks fans want no part of Kapanen + 1st, want no part of JVR (for good reasons)....so there ends our chances of landing Tanev, because there isn't a chance we deal Nylander/Marner.
Im one of the few who likes JV if only he was locked up.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Umm...as i recall, a deal was done for Ben Scrivens and a pick (2nd?) and ownership forced Nonis to pull out as they didn't want that contract.

From what I recall being reported here is that it was Scrivens and two 2nds, but Nonis made a last minute demand that Vancouver retain half of Luongo's contract (maybe demands from Toronto ownership?) and that killed it on our end. Luongo was pulled from practice to get ready for the trade interview when the deal was killed.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
What if Vancouver uses the 3rd overall pick to draft Heiskanen? That should be a good flip.

that would be amazing for the Canucks, I just don't see the incentive for Dallas. If it is infact true that the 3rd overall is on the table from Dallas, then go for it. I don't see any other team coming close to that and definitely not the Leafs.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
that would be amazing for the Canucks, I just don't see the incentive for Dallas. If it is infact true that the 3rd overall is on the table from Dallas, then go for it. I don't see any other team coming close to that and definitely not the Leafs.

The trade might be Tanev + 5th OA or Tanev + One or two 2nd round picks in return of the 3rd OA. That now makes more sense.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
you are clearly an idiot I stated that a lot of game he missed were not always due to injury and based on facts he is better then both D you mentioned he has averaged close enough to 70 games since he became A regular and 70 games in 4 years works out to about 15 a season. Go look up Crosby about 5 years ago how many games did he miss? Oh, and btw your gm has leaked he wants Tanev for Tanev and 2 seconds. and we get the right to nichtuskin so blow it out you ass. As for not playing top minutes, they split him and Edler up this year before that he averaged over 20 mins A game. get your facts straight. see out here in Canada we actually have valid sources, not Charles Barkley.

For the record. Tanev, since he has become a regular, has actually averaged 64 games a season. That's a significant chunk of time missed every season. You can make all the excuses you want for him. But he's still missed over 20% of Vancouver's games since he became a full time NHLer

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
:laugh:

How can Tanev average 70+ games when he's never played more then 70 games in a season? He has missed 72 games the last four years. That's almost a full seasons worth of games. Dallas isn't moving #3 in a trade for Tanev, unless it's #3+ for Tanev+#5. Tanev isn't worth a top 8 pick. Injury prone dman with 3 years left or a high end prospect on ELCs with 7+ years of team control. Not hard to understand this. Tanev isn't a Vlasic or Hjalmarsson level dman. He's a second pairing guy. If he was a top pairing dman his ice time would show that. And it clearly doesn't.

64/70/69/53 doesn't average to over 70 but it's close enough to the 70 ballpark.

But I don't know if the injury prone thing is really a fair label for Tanev, as this is usually reserved for players who are fragile in some manner and I don't think that apples to him. I mean you could say Vancouver's defense as a whole is 'injury prone'. From these past 4 seasons, the only dman to play a full 82 games was Luca Sbisa last season. Hell Keith Ballard was an ironman when he came to Vancouver, then quickly turned into a broken mess.

I mean if you look at Tanev's 2013-14 season, what prevented a full season was missing 7 games with a broken thumb and then the final 11 games with a broken finger. That's not really 'injury prone'. This past season, his lowest GP total as a regular, he missed 3 games from food poisoning and 2 games from the mumps.

The rest of his injury chart is either undisclosed or the ambiguous upper/lower body, so it would be up to any inquiring team to get the full details on those too see if he has a lingering issue or has just been unlucky. Otherwise there's no reason why he couldn't play a full 82 games, same as any other player.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Trading Tanev for a basket of second tier propsects, picks and cap dumps is a non starter. Our 2nd best move is keeping him, if we can't get a blue chip asset for the future. These conditions must be met in order to have it make sense to move him:

1.) Gudbranson must be signed to a rational deal. I don't want to hand his agent any more leverage (Tryamkin)

2.) A veteran replacement must be identified, even if it's on third pairing (Franson?)

3.) Must take place AFTER the expansion draft to optimize value and BEFORE the start of the entry draft. I don't want Benning caught up in the moment.

3.) There must be 1 primary asset coming back that comprises the majority of the value. I have no interest in a repeat of a Kesler type trade.

4) Other trade options must have been fully explored: cap dumps for picks, Gudbranson, Sbisa etc.

5.) We don't throw draft picks into the mix. We need more picks not just higher picks.

6.) No veterans included in making up the value. Cap dumps with negative value are fine. I don't want a JVR in return. Fine player. Does squat for us.

7.) Target must be D or C. You don't build around wingers and our prospect depth at C and D is embarrasing.

Tanev for the 3rd is literally the only appealing concept I've heard. If he's not enough to get the deal done, then we should keep him. A pick later than 8 is a non-starter for me.

JonnyCanuck604

Oct 28, 2016
64/70/69/53 doesn't average to over 70 but it's close enough to the 70 ballpark.

But I don't know if the injury prone thing is really a fair label for Tanev, as this is usually reserved for players who are fragile in some manner and I don't think that apples to him. I mean you could say Vancouver's defense as a whole is 'injury prone'. From these past 4 seasons, the only dman to play a full 82 games was Luca Sbisa last season. Hell Keith Ballard was an ironman when he came to Vancouver, then quickly turned into a broken mess.

I mean if you look at Tanev's 2013-14 season, what prevented a full season was missing 7 games with a broken thumb and then the final 11 games with a broken finger. That's not really 'injury prone'. This past season, his lowest GP total as a regular, he missed 3 games from food poisoning and 2 games from the mumps.

The rest of his injury chart is either undisclosed or the ambiguous upper/lower body, so it would be up to any inquiring team to get the full details on those too see if he has a lingering issue or has just been unlucky. Otherwise there's no reason why he couldn't play a full 82 games, same as any other player.
Well said!

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

The 70 ballpark isn't good, and the average is actually 64. It isn't like most of his missing games are from one season with a bad injury, it happens every year. If missing substantial time for each of 4 seasons isn't considered injury prone I don't know what that could possibly mean.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
He is injury prone. They aren't big injuries; but he always seems to be dinged up.

Underrated d-man around the league. He is in fact a difference maker, and makes whomever he's playing with better as well.

But, why are we willing to move him?

-We are not an organization deep with prospects, and have large holes to fill going forward.

-He's 27 and will not be a significant contributor when we finally become competitive.

-He has a limited no trade that kicks in soon, so this is as good a time to move him as there will ever be for us.

-He's injury prone; I'm probably not the only Canucks fan a little worried that, given the multitude of relatively minor injuries he's already had, he's due for a larger one, and/or his game is going to fall off dramatically/quickly because he just doesn't have the frame to last a long time in the NHL.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Top 10 in the league in Corsi against
Top 10 in the league in shot suppression

But but his offense :laugh:

Hes a defenseman. Hes suppose to defend. Not score dozens and dozens of goals. Hes one of the best at what he does lets stick to that :shakehead

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The 70 ballpark isn't good, and the average is actually 64. It isn't like most of his missing games are from one season with a bad injury, it happens every year. If missing substantial time for each of 4 seasons isn't considered injury prone I don't know what that could possibly mean.

If I flip a coin 4 times and it lands on tails each time, doesn't mean the next 4 flips are going to land on tails. What I'm saying is while he looks injury prone at a quick glance sometimes you need to dig a little deeper, because there are hundreds of players every year and a few of them are simply going to run into a string of bad luck that may not necessarily continue.

When you look at Tanev, he's not 'made of glass' type injury prone like a Sami Salo was, nor do I believe he has any lingering weaknesses that could be career threatening like a bad shoulde, knee, or concussion issues. Like I said there's a lot of 'undisclosed' or lower/upper body injuries in his list so a team would need to do it's due diligence beyond what a fan can speculate, but for the most parts his injuries seem to have been missing a few games here and there after blocking a shot.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Hes a defenseman. Hes suppose to defend. Not score dozens and dozens of goals. Hes one of the best at what he does lets stick to that :shakehead

Your posts seriously make me shake my head. That's what he was **** saying...he's top ten in corsi against and shot suppression. His offence is average. What makes him a #2 shutdown dman and not a #1 dman is that is offense is simply average. If he had amazing offense that would make him one of the best dman in the game smh.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
If I flip a coin 4 times and it lands on tails each time, doesn't mean the next 4 flips are going to land on tails. What I'm saying is while he looks injury prone at a quick glance sometimes you need to dig a little deeper, because there are hundreds of players every year and a few of them are simply going to run into a string of bad luck that may not necessarily continue.

When you look at Tanev, he's not 'made of glass' type injury prone like a Sami Salo was, nor do I believe he has any lingering weaknesses that could be career threatening like a bad shoulde, knee, or concussion issues. Like I said there's a lot of 'undisclosed' or lower/upper body injuries in his list so a team would need to do it's due diligence beyond what a fan can speculate, but for the most parts his injuries seem to have been missing a few games here and there after blocking a shot.

A string of bad luck that lasts 4 consecutive seasons? And this is no coin flip, the fraction of everyday NHL players who miss 12 or more games in a given season is much less than 50%. You do sometimes need to dig a little deeper, a player who misses 72 games over 4 years could have had one bad injury and 3 mostly fine ones. But think about how much effort you are putting in to parsing all these injuries to avoid the truth that is plain as day.

I hear all the time on HF about how JVR is a 30 goal scorer, which is something he's done once. A heck of a lot more players have a 71 game season on their resumes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad