Friedman: Chris Tanev is a difference-maker and there is a lot of interest in him

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Hit stats are the most unreliable stat there is. Many games in the west go without a team registering more than a handful of hits

So then what's your basis for claiming the West is more physical?
Because it's slower and has more choking systems?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
If he is elite defensively, why does he barely play 20 minutes a night? If I have an elite defensive d-man, he plays 25+, and you stick them with an offensive dman.

If you had a good defenseman that was made of paper mache, you have to be careful with his usage.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
If he is elite defensively, why does he barely play 20 minutes a night? If I have an elite defensive d-man, he plays 25+, and you stick them with an offensive dman.

Coaching decision and lack of PP time.

His TOI the previous year was higher, but they split the top pairing (Edler/Tanev) in order to balance the D.

Edler went with Stecher and Tanev got the short end of the stick in Sbisa, who isn't reliable enough to handle the minutes.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
If you google TSN 1040 Vancouver. Under listen live; front page half way down you'll see...

Kuzma: Trading Tanev for 3rd overall makes sense, but how do you replace him?

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/audio/kuzma...nse-but-how-do-canucks-replace-tanev-1.770974

Hmmm... his exact quote is "I'm now hearing that Dallas probably wants Tanev and both 2nd round picks [for the 3rd overall pick]"

The word "probably" makes the statement a bit confusing. Is he citing a source who said this is the Stars asking price? Or is he citing a source that is speculating about what the Stars asking price is?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/audio/kuzma...nse-but-how-do-canucks-replace-tanev-1.770974

Hmmm... his exact quote is "I'm now hearing that Dallas probably wants Tanev and both 2nd round picks [for the 3rd overall pick]"

The word "probably" makes the statement a bit confusing. Is he citing a source who said this is the Stars asking price? Or is he citing a source that is speculating about what the Stars asking price is?

I think that's Vancouver's asking price. That's a steep price

This is a trade Benning has to hit a home run. He really screwed up some home run types of deals

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Jake Gardiner last 4 years has missed is 8 games.

Tanev is 72 games....

So we can coviently just leave out the year he missed nearly all of. Cool. Tanev played in all the games he played in then, he didn't miss a single one! I did say every year Tanev has been a regular, right? If not that is key.

Missing games with bruises and the occasional break most concerning to me, considering how many shots he blocks. Concussions, habitual injuries, illnesses like infections, those are troubling. A number of games in non-playoff years would likely have had him on the ice too, and we've had two years of NHL protocol preventing him from playing games or practicing due to his teammates being sick. I still fail to see how the details of the time missed make him go from elite defenseman to glass statue of himself. If you block enough shots, eventually and statistically, you may need to recover from it. That's all this is.

tylerjohnson2626

Jun 6, 2016
Victoria, BC

Kuzma is likely the best source of Canuck insider info, so if that's what he's heard then it's likely accurate. The word "probably" to me means that Dallas is maybe not 100% set on that being the final price. If they want a 3rd piece in return, then maybe 55th overall and a prospect is good enough. I'd love for VAN to hold on to 33, not sure if giving all that up is an overpayment or not. Whether it is or isn't, walking away with Vilardi and Makar is a nice jump on the rebuild.

tylerjohnson2626

Jun 6, 2016
Victoria, BC
Here's another question. If they somehow get 3rd and 5th overall; would you rather have...

1) Vilardi & Makar (Assuming Heiskanen is gone at 5)
2) Heiskanen & Glass/Mittlestadt (Assuming Vilardi is gone at 5)

Is there another scenario I'm not thinking of? With them not interviewing Liljegren, I'm guessing he isn't in their plans.

maaran

Apr 17, 2017
Canada
Here's another question. If they somehow get 3rd and 5th overall; would you rather have...

Is there another scenario I'm not thinking of? With them not interviewing Liljegren, I'm guessing he isn't in their plans.

Well if Heiskanen is gone at 5, then that would mean he would be available at 3, and JB would be dumb not to pick Heiskanen at 3. And if he is gone before 3, then Hischier or Patrick is available, thus he has to pick him. To answer your question, easily number 2

Undrafted

Aug 2, 2005
BC

What about Tanev & both 2nds, for the 3rd, Niemi and the rights to Nichushkin?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Neither. Vilardi and Glass would be my preferred.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Tanev is someone who could allow a Rielly or similar PMD really breakout and become a star.

That said the idea he's horribly offensively is kind of flawed. He doesn't screw up, or limit other players on the ice offensively. He just takes no prerogative and simply keeps possession and passes

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Tanev is someone who could allow a Rielly or similar PMD really breakout and become a star.

That said the idea he's horribly offensively is kind of flawed. He doesn't screw up, or limit other players on the ice offensively. He just takes no prerogative and simply keeps possession and passes

Absolutely.

Tanev moves the puck very well, both skating and passing.

On a more offensive team his points/60 would undoubtedly improve.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Tanev is a very good, underrated defenseman right in his prime and on a reasonable contract for the next two years. Why would Vancouver even consider trading him unless someone massively overpaid?

Because Vancouver isn't in a position to take advantage of him being in his prime. It actually hurts them right now.

Whatever the best deal on the table is before the season starts, they should take it.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
First can I clarify A few things for you? Tanev did not become a regular until 20122013 4 seasons ago. Even then he was still used as The 7th man on quite A few nights. He has never had A serious injury yet superstar players one hit away from being brain dead still offer a premium? makes lots of sense. Over his actual full career, he has averaged 70 plus games. Looking at a player and saying oh he didn't play much must get injured a lot is bull ****. he didn't even crack the line until he was 23. His first year up he played under 40 games. his second under 60. not because he was hurt because he was a depth young guy at that point. Yes, this year wd said Tanev played every single game but one injured still had some of the best numbers in the league. It also means he's A warrior who plays no matter what. And if you ever watch him play he blocks shots like nobody else can. Clear the zone better than anyone. not me saying this Bob Mac. Plus the guy never ever shies away from a puck battle. unlike Larson who cost the Oilers 2 goals in like a minute cuz, he was too scared to fight to get the puck out.

Next year when Tanev is still A Canuck and putting up monster numbers all you guys will be secretly wishing you had paid JBs price
:laugh:

How can Tanev average 70+ games when he's never played more then 70 games in a season? He has missed 72 games the last four years. That's almost a full seasons worth of games. Dallas isn't moving #3 in a trade for Tanev, unless it's #3+ for Tanev+#5. Tanev isn't worth a top 8 pick. Injury prone dman with 3 years left or a high end prospect on ELCs with 7+ years of team control. Not hard to understand this. Tanev isn't a Vlasic or Hjalmarsson level dman. He's a second pairing guy. If he was a top pairing dman his ice time would show that. And it clearly doesn't.

maaran

Apr 17, 2017
Canada
:laugh:

How can Tanev average 70+ games when he's never played more then 70 games in a season? He has missed 72 games the last four years. That's almost a full seasons worth of games. Dallas isn't moving #3 in a trade for Tanev, unless it's #3+ for Tanev+#5. Tanev isn't worth a top 8 pick. Injury prone dman with 3 years left or a high end prospect on ELCs with 7+ years of team control. Not hard to understand this. Tanev isn't a Vlasic or Hjalmarsson level dman. He's a second pairing guy. If he was a top pairing dman his ice time would show that. And it clearly doesn't.

I don't know if you know, but players don't have to be injured. They are injured or out when they are hurt, this isn't a routine.

It also seems like you don't know what you are talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad