Friedman: Chris Tanev is a difference-maker and there is a lot of interest in him

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
A string of bad luck that lasts 4 consecutive seasons? And this is no coin flip, the fraction of everyday NHL players who miss 12 or more games in a given season is much less than 50%. You do sometimes need to dig a little deeper, a player who misses 72 games over 4 years could have had one bad injury and 3 mostly fine ones. But think about how much effort you are putting in to parsing all these injuries to avoid the truth that is plain as day.

I hear all the time on HF about how JVR is a 30 goal scorer, which is something he's done once. A heck of a lot more players have a 71 game season on their resumes.

some players have bad luck. vancouver has seen a couple with their own eyes anson carter and sami salo

my bruins had michael thelven and steven heinze

fine players... no cronic injuries... but find a way to get nicked every season

these players rarely ever turn it around and become healthy later.

but... they can still be good in the games they play. michael handzus proved a team will trade for an unlucky injury risk player

the problem i have with defense only players... is i cant think of any that were more than a second pair guy on a good team

rod langway had better offense to his game

who else is there? adam foote... richard matvichuk... mike ramsey...

theres been some good players but most these guys played in a time you could crosscheck and hold

who are the modern equivlents to tanev? karl alzner? hjarlstrom in chicago? johnny boychuk?

a strictly defensiveman dman can be part of a cup caliber team but not as one of your top guys imho

its the same argument i made when i said landeskog was worth more than carlo, our stay home dman.

teams prize dmen that can produce offense

that said, tanev has a good caphit... and is an elite shutdown guy. id love him on my team. theres no way hes worth a top 5 pick but im sure a playoff team would flip a first and prospect for him.

its not that bad an offer and consistent what other defense only dmen have been worth in the past

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
If Dallas was willing to part with the #3 pick taking on one of Niemi/Lehtonen might make sense for both sides now that Dallas signed Bishop & there is uncertainty about Miller coming back.

maaran

Apr 17, 2017
Canada
Not sure that's enough for the best defenseman of all time...perhaps Marner and our 18 1st as well?

The only way this trade has a chance is if the leafs make a time machine go back in time and bring wendel clark back in his prime and even then I think vancouver declines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad