Chris Tanev appreciation thread

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
No one bounces back up after a big hit than Tanev. Love the kids' constitution.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
No one bounces back up after a big hit than Tanev. Love the kids' constitution.

I'm convinced that there's actually a closet full of Tanev's that Gillis keeps somewhere in RA. Whenever one of the clones gets injured, Gillis just grabs a new one.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
The way he's been playing this season, the Canucks won't be able to afford him.

Very likely and something I worry about. Raymond doesn't make that much to the point where a discount isn't a big deal. He's got a new kid, coming off a potentially crippling injury, and isn't exactly young anymore. Good chance another team makes an offer he can't refuse

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
I'm convinced that there's actually a closet full of Tanev's that Gillis keeps somewhere in RA. Whenever one of the clones gets injured, Gillis just grabs a new one.

If that was the case we'd be perennial Stanley Cup champions.

Edler - Tanev
Garrison - Hamhuis
Tanev - Bieksa

**** it.

Tanev - Tanev
Tanev - Tanev
Tanev - Tanev

Last edited:

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
It's amazing how good he is and he isn't at his prime yet. They would be stupid not to keep him long term.

Agreed. The kid is absolute stud. His offensive game is developing as well. His 2 goals this year were absolutely awesome reads off of rushes. When will he start getting league wide recognition? Probably never. He's such a stud.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
Agreed. The kid is absolute stud. His offensive game is developing as well. His 2 goals this year were absolutely awesome reads off of rushes. When will he start getting league wide recognition? Probably never. He's such a stud.

hopefully never, need to keep him on a cheap contract for as long as possible

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
He keeps a picture of himself in his attic, showing his body all busted up, just all purple, blue and black.

Christopher "Gray" Tanev??

I'm pretty big on this kid, we get enough offense from the rest of our D, I like what this guy does and I'm also sick of seeing him offered in trades, he is young and a rock.... we should keep him

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I said it before and got laughed at, but I think Tanev's going to be a 30 point defenseman pretty damn soon-- He's actually VERY smart and has great offensive instincts, he just needs to work on his finish.

On pace for it so far.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
shot blocking machine. but i think he'll at least get a broken foot/Insert any part of limb here from blocking more shots down the line.

Lord Flacko*

Stanton's been good in his role but Tanev seems to have taken another step forward this season with how much the coaches have been playing him.

I agree, he has adjusted to Torts' system perfectly.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Sure, he's been blocking a lot of shots, but I've counted at least three goals against this season that were re-directs off of his failed blocks or turned into screens because he doesn't fully commit to the block. It's kind of a double-edged sword for all shot blockers. You can't half commit to the block or get in the way late or it can turn into a re-direct.

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
I said it before and got laughed at, but I think Tanev's going to be a 30 point defenseman pretty damn soon-- He's actually VERY smart and has great offensive instincts, he just needs to work on his finish.

On pace for it so far.

Agreed. His upside is still underrated.

He already is a weapon joining the rush. If he can start using his skating to move around the offensive zone, his passing ability will open things up tremendously.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
Emelin's new 4yr deal will be used as a comparable this offseason for Tanev.

Basso

Dec 11, 2008
Liking Tanev's hockey mind for sure. Wish he would get even stronger, there is still hope he will.

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
Emelin's new 4yr deal will be used as a comparable this offseason for Tanev.

Uggggghhh. I really hope Tan Man doesn't get priced out. I'll be livid.
Past summer, I was one of those crazies calling for MG to lock him up long term
even if it meant overpaying slightly in the short term.

Skillset he has is great. Hockey sense and poise are hard to teach. He can continue to get stronger in offseasons.

Has good offensive awareness too (although no shot to speak of).
I would like to see him get PP2 time. He'd put up some points I'd imagine.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
They are very different players though.

D-men rarely get paid that much if they don't produce, though. It'll be interesting to see how much he does this year, in any case but I don't see it happening if he doesn't get 2nd unit PP time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad