Confirmed with Link: Chris Summers Resigned

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
He wore an A for Hartford last season. This is very likely nothing more than veteran leadership signing for the Wolf Pack. Highly doubt we'd see him on the Rangers next season, unless there were a lot of injuries.

I wish I could make $350k just to play minor league hockey...

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He wore an A for Hartford last season. This is very likely nothing more than veteran leadership signing for the Wolf Pack. Highly doubt we'd see him on the Rangers next season, unless there were a lot of injuries.

Which is totally fine. The Pack are going to need Vets who don't sulk and provide a good example to the young kids. Summers is a good one

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY

I wish I could make 350K.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Agreed, depth signing/emergency callup.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Didn't know this type of money could be made in AHL.

MacTruck27

May 17, 2014
I agree with this:

Adam Herman ‏@AdamZHerman 41s41 seconds ago
The Summers signing isn't, in itself, a big deal. But we desperately need signs that NYR are adapting to modern hockey. This doesn't help.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I agree with this:

The Summers signing isn't, in itself, a big deal. But we desperately need signs that NYR are adapting to modern hockey. This doesn't help.

Yea it's pointless he's clearly a minor leaguer . Maybe he's s good teacher for kids

MacTruck27

May 17, 2014
I think its a huge overreaction.

how is it a "huge overreaction" to say that this signing "isn't...a big deal"?

Also - this guy actually played in 3 regular season NHL games last year. it seems like the rangers have a view of this guy that is consistent with the direction that many of us want them to move in

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn

Also - this guy actually played in 3 regular season NHL games last year. it seems like the rangers have a view of this guy that is consistent with the direction that many of us want them to move in

Not so much the "isn't a big deal" part but the last part that's a bit of a stretch. Re-signing a vet who played well last season for our AHL club isn't a sign that the Rangers aren't adapting to modern hockey.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Using a minor signing of a minor leaguer as a cautionary tail or as any indication as to the direction of the NHL is overreacting.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
As long as he stays in Hartford, then fine. You want to keep your AHL affiliate competitive rather than sending your young prospect into a losing abyss. It's not like he'll be taking playing time away from Graves who played more than him in the latter part of the season.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Conflating this re-signing with the Rangers not adapting to modern hockey is an overreaction, for sure.

MacTruck27

May 17, 2014
Conflating this re-signing with the Rangers not adapting to modern hockey is an overreaction, for sure.

i think people should re-read the original sentiment before clamoring about an "overreaction" or "conflating" of anything.

it's chris summers, I get it.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I'm meh on him. I won't make a big deal about a minor league signing, but since the Rangers won't win the Cup in the next decade, at least give us a Calder Cup contender in Hartford. Summers is nothing special.

RangerFan23

Jul 28, 2010
I'm meh on him. I won't make a big deal about a minor league signing, but since the Rangers won't win the Cup in the next decade, at least give us a Calder Cup contender in Hartford. Summers is nothing special.

Personally I'd trade 10 calder cups for one extra Rangers' playoff win. Maybe I'm in the minority.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I agree with this:

i think people should re-read the original sentiment before clamoring about an "overreaction" or "conflating" of anything.

it's chris summers, I get it.

The issue is that Herman is drawing the inference that by signing Summers the Rangers have have given an indication that they will stubbornly be trying to build a team that plays an old-school style of hockey, because of the "type" of player that he is.

Whereas the rest of us feel that the reason the Rangers made this move has much less to do with his "type" on the ice, than his "type" in the locker room (i.e. a minor league vet that understands, and accepts, his role in the organization, as opposed to thinking he is an NHL caliber player who just needs that one more chance, but isn't getting it).

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Yea it's pointless he's clearly a minor leaguer . Maybe he's s good teacher for kids

Yeah he's a really good dude, very well liked and takes care of the younger guys.

Think of it this way, he's a millionaire and he's barely played in the NHL or a top European league. Both NYR and ARI really liked his character.

Plus he's one of Yandle's best friends.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad