Proposal: Chris Rooney for any other Ref

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
This guys is terrible. He goes out of his way to prove his non-bias to Boston, and ends up screwing us over. How did they let him Ref this series. Is this seriously the best the NHL has to offer?

If there is a game 7 the NHL can't possibly let him ref the game.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
If there is a game 7 he will go even further out of his way to prove he isn't trying to make up for his blown call in game 5 and it will be even more out of control.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Rooney- South Boston native, former player at Catholic Memorial- probably a Bruins fan growing up since those were the Bourque-Neely-Oates Bruins but certainly grew up in the shadow of the old Boston Garden- not sure if he is related to Steve Rooney or the clan from Canton but the Boston ties are out there. If I know Pittsburgh, Vancouver, and Montreal have blogs and message boards on this guy being a Boston guy every time he refs a big game then he does- and that's the problem

he and his cohort last night were horrible- both ways- they botched an early first period take down on a Chicago player; somehow only gave McQuaid 2 minutes for obvious 4 minute high sticking on Shaw; missed the high stick on Lucic, and the most egregious of them all the trip on Krug.

Rooney must score highly to get these gigs but for the love of hockey, don't let him do the Boston games- he doesn't ref and that goes both ways, and always turns into a tug of war with no flow. He seems to only want to call matching penalties, very obvious, and for teams trailing by a couple of goals or more. Every game he does I spend more time watching how he botches. And since he is from this area it seems he gets a lot of assignments which suck.

I'll say this though- I hope to see him at least one more time and that is because I hear he has game 7. Maybe he will finally do what everyone thinks and give the Bruins there due- at least call it fair because he more times than not is so concerned on not looking like he has a Cam Neely jersey in the closet he is screwing Boston

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`d rather have our boys settle it on the ice with goals than read more about how pitiful the refs are but I`m old school like that:)

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I`d rather have our boys settle it on the ice with goals than read more about how pitiful the refs are but I`m old school like that:)

The problem with Rooney specifically, though, is that he grew up a Bruins fan and now bends over so far backwards to "prove" his impartiality that he ends up affecting the game.

This is nothing new - he's been doing it for years. That it's happening in the SCF just throws a big spotlight on it.

There's a reason why judges will recuse themselves from cases that strike too close to home. They recognize that they can't be impartial. Unfortunately (but understandably) Rooney isn't going to do that.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The problem with Rooney specifically, though, is that he grew up a Bruins fan and now bends over so far backwards to "prove" his impartiality that he ends up affecting the game.

This is nothing new - he's been doing it for years. That it's happening in the SCF just throws a big spotlight on it.

There's a reason why judges will recuse themselves from cases that strike too close to home. They recognize that they can't be impartial. Unfortunately (but understandably) Rooney isn't going to do that.

True or not, the refereeing has been awful all season long, to expect any different now just isn`t reasonable

Missed calls both ways IMO, "could" be loads of penalties called, as I stated earlier and I`ll stick to it, if the B`s could have buried some of their many opportunities in the series thus far, and they had the 3-2 lead, I`ll wager the ref talk wouldn`t be as alive as it is

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
True or not, the refereeing has been awful all season long, to expect any different now just isn`t reasonable

Missed calls both ways IMO, "could" be loads of penalties called, as I stated earlier and I`ll stick to it, if the B`s could have buried some of their many opportunities in the series thus far, and they had the 3-2 lead, I`ll wager the ref talk wouldn`t be as alive as it is

I don't disagree. But the OP was referring to Rooney and his specific hang-up, not just generally griping.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't disagree. But the OP was referring to Rooney and his specific hang-up, not just generally griping.

I enjoy general griping:) Comes from the top down, I`m a believer, if there`s consistency at the top of the chain, it funnels down, been missing for years now and I`m not sure we`ll be treated to much better for a while

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Did anyone watch game five and think one team deserved two power plays and the other team receive no man advantage situations?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I said it before the series started: Chris Rooney is one of the worst refs in hockey.

We have to make a Chris Rooney game 7 thread to see if he can actually call penalties against the Blackhawks in key situations. Between intimidated by Chicago crowd and worried about looking like a Bruins stooge we are freaking getting no calls unless behind or the other ref makes it, Season ticket holder since 83 and this guy is petrified to call penalties on Bruins opponents. He makes Bob Myers look good

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I actually prefer the "let them play" mentality. But applying that to one team and not the other (last night) was tough to accept.

Not sure if the Bruins had much of a chance last night anyways, playing about 15-20 minutes and looking sloppy all night.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $260.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $40.00