Player Discussion Chris Porter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Brodziak is far better than Porter from what I have seen so far.

Russo said on the podcast that if Brodziak and Fletcher knew what Brodz would eventually settle for, they probably would have worked something out. I think Brodz thought he could get a 2-3 year deal but had to settle for one.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i dont understand this signing. besides hes parises friend what skills does he add? couldn't someone in iowa provide whatever mgmt expects from porter?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
i dont understand this signing. besides hes parises friend what skills does he add? couldn't someone in iowa provide whatever mgmt expects from porter?

Not really honestly. If Yeo wants that big speed grinder type, Porter is a better hockey player than the other options that would have filled the role(which would have been Dalpe, Fedodenkto or Sutter). And he actually makes less money than any of the other three would in the NHL.

The only option that has potential to be better is Bulmer, who I suspect the Wild want to concentrate on his game in Iowa after 2 terrible injury plagued seasons.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Porter does what he does.

My theory is Yeo wanted a steady early start. Cant win the division in Oct etc... Porter is going play his game, steady hard working lunch pail guy. Sutter, Schroeder etc... those guys tend to try and do too much to get noticed early on. Try and create a chance when its not there make a big hit that causes a PK. Yeo seems like a very picky coach as to what he wants and how he wants it. You give him a guy he can toss out there and not worry about. Flip it and Porter can play his sound game and not worry either.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I understand the rationale for picking him off waivers.

He's an experienced player who fits the role of a penalty killer and plays a simple physical game. None of the players in camp (including Gabriel, Bussieres, Bulmer, etc) are talented enough to overlook their inexperience and frankly none of them have been impressive in the minors. Losing both Cooke and Brodziak, along with Haula's unimpressive training camp, probably gave Yeo (who really likes grinder types) a lot of hesitation.

I don't really think it's the best way to build a fourth line though. I would rather have a line that tries to drive puck possession, even if they are smaller or younger (Schroeder, Fontaine, Keranen, etc). Long term, I think they would have a net positive impact on your scoring and winning. It just seems that unless you have "elite" grinder types (Cooke, Clutterbuck, etc) you are writing off production from that fourth line.

Hell, look at last year. The fourth line scored a ton of goals because of Zucker. I'm not saying you should drop Zucker to the fourth line, but that placing a fast, skilled player there can create a mismatch that exploits weaker competition.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Yeah, I'm hoping Porter isn't a regular in the lineup. He never has been and I don't think having a scrapped together fourth line is the greatest either. I felt a lot more comfortable with Brodziak and I'm disappointed we couldn't figure out a way to keep him, especially at 900K.

Carter - Haula - Porter just looks like a line that can be taken advantage of.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
With Brodziak, Stewart, and Cooke gone we are pretty small up front. Porter is no giant, but he looks to be pretty rugged. We need a few of those types around. Schroeder, Haula, and Fontaine aren't going to be winning a lot of puck battles along the boards.

Takes all kinds.

J22*

He's an experienced player who fits the role of a penalty killer and plays a simple physical game. None of the players in camp (including Gabriel, Bussieres, Bulmer, etc) are talented enough to overlook their inexperience and frankly none of them have been impressive in the minors. Losing both Cooke and Brodziak, along with Haula's unimpressive training camp, probably gave Yeo (who really likes grinder types) a lot of hesitation.

I don't really think it's the best way to build a fourth line though. I would rather have a line that tries to drive puck possession, even if they are smaller or younger (Schroeder, Fontaine, Keranen, etc). Long term, I think they would have a net positive impact on your scoring and winning. It just seems that unless you have "elite" grinder types (Cooke, Clutterbuck, etc) you are writing off production from that fourth line.

Hell, look at last year. The fourth line scored a ton of goals because of Zucker. I'm not saying you should drop Zucker to the fourth line, but that placing a fast, skilled player there can create a mismatch that exploits weaker competition.

who do you match them up against?

Who kills penalties?

Who takes all of the defensive assignments?

If you build a 4th line like that, you're basically asking your actual skill players to spend a lot more time focused on defense just in the hope you can 5-10 more goals out of your 4th line. Makes zero sense to me.

BTW- Zucker played like 4-5 games on the 4th line last year.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Brodziak>Porter.

Blows my mind that EDM didn't pick up Brodz.

They signed Letestu to a 3/5.4 deal. Perhaps Brodziak was their fallback option.

Don't really see the point in comparing Brodziak/Porter though, Brodz was ready to move on and Porter's on a 2-way and could be re-claimed by Philly if we deem him unneeded.

No one in Iowa is an experienced NHL penalty killer with NHL playoff experience. Veilleux is gone and Fedotenko shouldn't see the NHL again.

Again, he's on a 2-way and could be re-claimed by Philly. This contract has 0 implications on our 23 man roster or salary cap. The only implications he has are on our 50 contract limit.

To me, Porter's the same player Darroll Powe was when the Wild acquired him for a 3rd round pick in 2011, and gave him a 3 year contract. The fact that we're not making silly decisions like those to fill our roster is a good sign.

Yeo doesn't want his top guys killing penalties. You put 3 skilled guys on the 4th line and then Koivu/Coyle/Parise/Granlund are your top-4 penalty killers. People are concerned about Suter playing a relaxed 30 minutes, well these guys don't play as relaxed and they would see an increase in their time on ice.

With the amount of $$ we're paying the top-9 they should be able to do the scoring part. Having a 4th line that can play smart, responsible hockey is all we should need.

Yeah, I'm hoping Porter isn't a regular in the lineup. He never has been and I don't think having a scrapped together fourth line is the greatest either. I felt a lot more comfortable with Brodziak and I'm disappointed we couldn't figure out a way to keep him, especially at 900K.

Carter - Haula - Porter just looks like a line that can be taken advantage of.

There's plenty of experience on that line and all 3 are responsible defensively. Not really concerned about them.

Ask Parise what the "scrapped together" 4th line did for New Jersey on their run to the finals in the 2012 playoffs. Ryan Carter had the most pedigree on that line and he was a waiver pickup.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought Porter had a rough first game or two, but looked at least decent in the last game. Surprisingly fast. I seem to remember Carter starting off awfully last year, then being really good till his injury. Point is, there is an adjustment period when playing with a new team. Looks to me that Porter will be just fine as a fourth liner.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Porter is a good 4th liner. He's the kind of workman grinder which every 4th line usually has. He's the definition of meat and potatoes -kind of player, his meat being the hitting and potatoes the wheels.

I think Carter - Haula - Porter is a very decent 4th line going forward. We should call it the "Harter" line. sorry

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Porter is a good 4th liner. He's the kind of workman grinder which every 4th line usually has. He's the definition of meat and potatoes -kind of player, his meat being the hitting and potatoes the wheels.

I think Carter - Haula - Porter is a very decent 4th line going forward. We should call it the "Harter" line. sorry

aQcgILJ.gif

I agree with most everyone. He did not look good the first two games, but has come around. Not much to complain about 4th line wise.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Aren't you the guy who came up with Banana/10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad