Player Discussion Chris Porter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Thread is off to a roaring start so far.

I imagine this will put a little extra pep in Parise's step. Kind of a meh claim, but the locker room chemistry boost a la NHL16 will prove this to be a shrewd move.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Chris Porter, David Stout, Adam Ale... sounds good to me. I approve.

Beer league?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
It's our token, Eric Nystrom/Torrey Mitchell/Zenon Konopka/Darroll Powe/Ryan Carter/Mike Rupp pick up! Woot! Was wondering if Fletcher was going to do that again this year.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
An NHL roster spot is a very valuable asset. NHL minutes are very valuable.

I think Porter is a fine fringe player, not sure he's much of an upgrade on Ryan Carter.

Where other teams out west are adding fringe players like Ehlers, Fabbri, Rantanen, Panarin, and McDavid, the Wild is adding Parise's good friend, Chris Porter.

Since it seems like the team really wanted to find a slot for a player like Bulmer or Gabriel, who just aren't there as players, this move is an ok one. I think there's plenty to complain about it. He's not blocking anyone good, but he doesn't add a whole lot to the arms race in the western conference and he does contribute to the notion that Suter and Parise have more input into the team than Yeo.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Ok... indeed, a roster spot is valuable. Now, with Fontaine, Haula and Schroeder all injured, who are you going to give that last forward roster spot to? Remember, whoever you decide on is going to be playing games immediately due to those injuries. Your best options are Bulmer, Keranen, Zach Mitchell, and Brett Sutter (if he's still around, I don't even remember). All of those guys are ones I wouldn't trust defensively over Porter, and most of them could still use another year in the AHL. Porter is also faster than all of them, and speed is the name of the game for our team. If Porter isn't working out like we thought he would, or everyone gets healthy, we can put him back on waivers and either let the Flyers re-claim him for their AHL roster, let another team nab him, or put him on the Iowa Wild.

I don't see how that roster spot is quite as valuable as you guys are making it out to be since we can free it up easily enough later.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Sutter's the current captain for Iowa, if the preseason game last night is any indication.

J22*

I think Porter is a fine fringe player, not sure he's much of an upgrade on Ryan Carter.

Where other teams out west are adding fringe players like Ehlers, Fabbri, Rantanen, Panarin, and McDavid, the Wild is adding Parise's good friend, Chris Porter.

Since it seems like the team really wanted to find a slot for a player like Bulmer or Gabriel, who just aren't there as players, this move is an ok one. I think there's plenty to complain about it. He's not blocking anyone good, but he doesn't add a whole lot to the arms race in the western conference and he does contribute to the notion that Suter and Parise have more input into the team than Yeo.

For a team carrying three goalies? I don't know about you but roster space is valuable.

Not sure either of you understand the waiver process.

Also not sure how mentioning a handful of top 6 prospects that would have a hard time breaking into the top 9 of the Wild has anything to do with the Wild adding a 4th line player? But, it's always nice when you can get roster advice from an Oilers fan.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
But now we can finally put dumba in the ahl!

I like how on one hand, ppl say our young guys shouldn't be "gifted" roster spots, and that they shouldn't play 4th line minutes..... And yet now criticize mgmt for getting a capable 4th liner who fits the team identity for free because it's taking a roster spot.

Gotta complain about somethin I guess :/

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014

We shoulda just claimed McDavid off waivers. Stupid Fletcher!

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
But now we can finally put dumba in the ahl!

I like how on one hand, ppl say our young guys shouldn't be "gifted" roster spots, and that they shouldn't play 4th line minutes..... And yet now criticize mgmt for getting a capable 4th liner who fits the team identity for free because it's taking a roster spot.

Gotta complain about somethin I guess :/

Exactly this.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
It's our token, Eric Nystrom/Torrey Mitchell/Zenon Konopka/Darroll Powe/Ryan Carter/Mike Rupp pick up! Woot! Was wondering if Fletcher was going to do that again this year.

Least he learned from his mistakes the last couple years, not handing out sizable contracts to fringe players.

Don't mind adding Porter, though it does push us closer to the 50 limit. Much better move than the decision to hand Fedotenko a 2-way in the offseason, as Porter's actually an adequate depth NHLer.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Worst case scenario, what? We run out of roster spots and have to waive him? So, really there's no downside.

I do wish we had young guys pushing for spots. I thought we'd be overflowing with potential bottom-6 forwards at this point... Graovac, Bulmer, Gabriel, Lucia, Bussieres all should at least become grinders at some point. Losing hope for some of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad