Youtube: Chris Neil vs Derek Dorsett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I find the whole 'don't hit when down/when linesmen step in' thing has gone out the window over the past few years. There's tons of examples of it, although not saying I like it.

The arm wave is cringeworthy, I hate it when he does it.

It was never really a thing. Players have punched players on the ice and from the ice for decades. It never stopped.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
He, more than most, has a reputation to pick his spots though. This has come up more than once on HFboards also.

A reputation among people who don't know much about hockey fights. Every time it gets brought up, Neil's fight card gets brought up which refutes that pretty quickly.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Dorsett is one of the biggest weasels in the game. Anyone who has watched him knows this. Among other things, he has a reputation for targeting skilled players--anyone remember when Kaleta humiliated Dorsett with one of the worst beat downs in NHL history? Yeah, that came as a result of Dorsett trying to play tough guy against Vanek.

Anyways, it's pretty funny to watch Dorsett evoke his inner Stortini and hang onto Neil for dear life (anyone who thinks Dorsett wanted to stand toe-to-toe with Neil is dreaming), only to pretend to be a tough guy afterwards. Yeah, as if Neil was scared of that toe-headed mongrel.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
A reputation among people who don't know much about hockey fights. Every time it gets brought up, Neil's fight card gets brought up which refutes that pretty quickly.

I guess Rhett warrener doesnt know much about hockey fights then. The other day on the fan960 he was talking about Neil, saying, not all the time, but more often than not Neil picks his spots and who he fights. Warrener said Neil kicked my ass, you know why he did? cause he knew he could beat me. He always fights guys he knows/should be able to beat. But I guess you would know better than an ex nhl player who was out there right? Warrener also said if Dorsett said he had a sore hand that should have been it, but of course there comes neil for one he knows he can win.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
I guess Rhett warrener doesnt know much about hockey fights then. The other day on the fan960 he was talking about Neil, saying, not all the time, but more often than not Neil picks his spots and who he fights. Warrener said Neil kicked my ass, you know why he did? cause he knew he could beat me. He always fights guys he knows/should be able to beat. But I guess you would know better than an ex nhl player who was out there right? Warrener also said if Dorsett said he had a sore hand that should have been it, but of course there comes neil for one he knows he can win.

Domi
Peters
Parros
Odjick
Oliwa
McLaren
Odgers
Brashear
Buchberger
Bollig
Belak
Simon
Shelley
Chara
Orr
Lucic
Godard
Engelland

Tell me how many of those guys are guys Neil should be able to beat? Almost every single one of them is outside of his weight class. He has a better fight card than anyone in the league, do some research.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
Domi
Peters
Parros
Odjick
Oliwa
McLaren
Odgers
Brashear
Buchberger
Bollig
Belak
Simon
Shelley
Chara
Orr
Lucic
Godard
Engelland

Tell me how many of those guys are guys Neil should be able to beat? Almost every single one of them is outside of his weight class. He has a better fight card than anyone in the league, do some research.

Did you miss the part where I said not everytime? For everyone you mentioned, there is 2-3 players he fought that were non fighters/middleweights.I dont need to do research, again I ask, DO YOU KNOW BETTER THAN AN ACTUAL NHL PLAYER WHO PLAYED AGAINST HIM? Maybe you should do some research and see that your boy has fought a whole ton of lightweights too. I should mention too, he is 215 pounds, I would think there is not too many outside his weight class.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Did you miss the part where I said not everytime? For everyone you mentioned, there is 2-3 players he fought that were non fighters/middleweights.I dont need to do research, again I ask, DO YOU KNOW BETTER THAN AN ACTUAL NHL PLAYER WHO PLAYED AGAINST HIM? Maybe you should do some research and see that your boy has fought a whole ton of lightweights too. I should mention too, he is 215 pounds, I would think there is not too many outside his weight class.

care to name these 2-3 players ? and its funny that the charge you lay on neil is EXACTLY the problem with Derek Dorsett who likes to pick fights with guys like bork and phaneuf and then decides to headbutt mike freaking weaver for the hell of it.

Everyone who has thrown them will decline a guy from time to time. and yes neil doesnt ALWAYS take on all comers but that's still a hell of a lot more than Dorsett who NEVER takes on guys above his weight class.

if push comes to shove, who is more likely to answer the bell irrespective of whose calling ?

(pssst the answer isnt dorsett)

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC

There is so much wrong with this post that shows you don't know much about the NHL fighting game. Neil isn't some fourth line bum, so he doesn't just fight fourth line bums. He is however the Sens enforcer, and being a good enforcer means forcing the issue with all kinds of players.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
care to name these 2-3 players ? and its funny that the charge you lay on neil is EXACTLY the problem with Derek Dorsett who likes to pick fights with guys like bork and phaneuf and then decides to headbutt mike freaking weaver for the hell of it.

Everyone who has thrown them will decline a guy from time to time. and yes neil doesnt ALWAYS take on all comers but that's still a hell of a lot more than Dorsett who NEVER takes on guys above his weight class.

if push comes to shove, who is more likely to answer the bell irrespective of whose calling ?

(pssst the answer isnt dorsett)

I agree. I never said dorsett was an angel

There is so much wrong with this post that shows you don't know much about the NHL fighting game. Neil isn't some fourth line bum, so he doesn't just fight fourth line bums. He is however the Sens enforcer, and being a good enforcer means forcing the issue with all kinds of players.

He isnt a 4th line player? I hope the rest of your 3rd line players are doing better than 8 goals and 6 assists neil had last year. Love how you keep saying i dont know the fighting game, yet an actual nhl player backs me up....while you have....nothing but your homer glasses. Think I will take the ex nhl players view over someone with homer glasses.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I agree. I never said dorsett was an angel

He isnt a 4th line player? I hope the rest of your 3rd line players are doing better than 8 goals and 6 assists neil had last year. Love how you keep saying i dont know the fighting game, yet an actual nhl player backs me up....while you have....nothing but your homer glasses. Think I will take the ex nhl players view over someone with homer glasses.

:laugh: Rhett warrener

that is all I have to say about that. bad fighter, bad hockey player. makes Neil look like a first liner and obviously based on both of their fight lists from HF.com...one is just a ton better than the other at their job. Does neil pick when he fights? absolutely, why fight when your team is winning? does he fight anyone? absolutely, I have seen him get his ass handed to him more than a few times.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

that is all I have to say about that. bad fighter, bad hockey player. makes Neil look like a first liner and obviously based on both of their fight lists from HF.com...one is just a ton better than the other at their job. Does neil pick when he fights? absolutely, why fight when your team is winning? does he fight anyone? absolutely, I have seen him get his ass handed to him more than a few times.

rhett warrener may not be a great fighter, but looking at his fight card he has gone with what a lot of guys would consider toughies ( like a couple of bouts with asham).
So the notion that neil, picked a fight with warrener because he was going to kill a guy who hadnt previously fought real tough guys, seems like a whole lot of revisionist clap trap.

I'm sure that tom kostopolous also inst so fond of most of the other guys he fought either. but that doesnt make them spot pickers.

it still doesnt change the fact that between the two ( neil and dorsett) there is NO doubt who is the bigger spot picker. none.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
rhett warrener may not be a great fighter, but looking at his fight card he has gone with what a lot of guys would consider toughies ( like a couple of bouts with asham).
So the notion that neil, picked a fight with warrener because he was going to kill a guy who hadnt previously fought real tough guys, seems like a whole lot of revisionist clap trap.

I'm sure that tom kostopolous also inst so fond of most of the other guys he fought either. but that doesnt make them spot pickers.

it still doesnt change the fact that between the two ( neil and dorsett) there is NO doubt who is the bigger spot picker. none.

So by spot picker do you mean they pick when they fight their battle or whom they pick their battles with? by going through each of their fight cards they both have some subpar fight opponents... hell dorrsett fought taylor hall and Neil has fought grabo. neil by far has fought more heavy weights and tougher opponents. but both have fought lesser opponents if you want to break it down that way. Dorrsett has a much smaller sample size of fights though. 160 + vs 72

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC

Yeah he's clinging to the opinion of a mediocre defensemen that got his ass kicked by Neil. Yikes.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
So by spot picker do you mean they pick when they fight their battle or whom they pick their battles with? by going through each of their fight cards they both have some subpar fight opponents... hell dorrsett fought taylor hall and Neil has fought grabo. neil by far has fought more heavy weights and tougher opponents. but both have fought lesser opponents if you want to break it down that way. Dorrsett has a much smaller sample size of fights though. 160 + vs 72

spot picker is pretty self explanatory. A guy with 150+ fights is likely to have some fights that he punches down, some that he punches up and most where he fights in his own weight class. For neil the 2nd outnumbers the first, for dorsett not so much.

For example had neil gone with Mr. Purse and lipstick, most people would say he's definately punching down but there was a reason for why he wanted to go with talent.

Even enforcers will turn guys down, there is not player in the NHL who will go with any caller irrespective of the situation, you have to have some concept of when to fight and when not to.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Chris Neil just being Chris Neil...

i take that over dorsett being dorsett every day of the week and twice on sundays. Neil might not be a choir boy but he's not fake tough like dorsett.

I get people not liking neil, that's fine. He's a tough guy to play against and he's not perfect but his history that spans a huge number of fights says that he's pretty much a stand up guy. But when people claim he's cheap ( how many suspensions now ?) or a spot picker ( despite his fight card which DOES include heavies) then just say you have an irrational undefensible dislike off him and leave it at that.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
Yeah he's clinging to the opinion of a mediocre defensemen that got his ass kicked by Neil. Yikes.

Sereiously, I get that you sens fans wanna defend him, but I'm clinging to a mediocre defenseman? wtf is that? He said and I quote "I fought chris Neil, but you know why he fought me? Cause he knew he could beat me". So continue crying all you want. But myself, and others, will believe an actual "crappy" defenseman who played the game and was on the ice when this stuff happens over some upset sens homers. Oh and for the person who is new to hockey and thought fighting was warreners job, it wasnt, but he was happy to stick up for team mates and could fight a bit, doesnt make him a fighter, and certainly not a heavyweight like neil.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
i take that over dorsett being dorsett every day of the week and twice on sundays. Neil might not be a choir boy but he's not fake tough like dorsett.

I get people not liking neil, that's fine. He's a tough guy to play against and he's not perfect but his history that spans a huge number of fights says that he's pretty much a stand up guy. But when people claim he's cheap ( how many suspensions now ?) or a spot picker ( despite his fight card which DOES include heavies) then just say you have an irrational undefensible dislike off him and leave it at that.

At 215 pounds, thats all he should be fighting, esp. considering thats the only reason he is in the league and thats what he was drafted for.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
At 215 pounds, thats all he should be fighting, esp. considering thats the only reason he is in the league and thats what he was drafted for.

so then your beef is with the sens, not Neil. Do you blame the fish for swimming ? do you blame the birds for chirping?

Chris neil may be many things, talentless aint one of them. Of all of the players who will (and have) take on all comers, hes probably in the top three in the league. a good fourth who when called does what he should.

anyone siding with derek dorsett over neil should give their head a shake. but dont do it near him, he might see it as an invite to headbutt you

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Sereiously, I get that you sens fans wanna defend him, but I'm clinging to a mediocre defenseman? wtf is that? He said and I quote "I fought chris Neil, but you know why he fought me? Cause he knew he could beat me". So continue crying all you want. But myself, and others, will believe an actual "crappy" defenseman who played the game and was on the ice when this stuff happens over some upset sens homers. Oh and for the person who is new to hockey and thought fighting was warreners job, it wasnt, but he was happy to stick up for team mates and could fight a bit, doesnt make him a fighter, and certainly not a heavyweight like neil.

since when is chris neil a heavyweight ? because he punches up ?

and look at warrener's fight card, hes fought tons of guys as tough, or tougher than chris neil. the notion that neil faught, and by extension took advantage of some ingenue who didnt know what he was doing is nonsense. I'm sorry that warrener thinks that chris neil faught him because he knew he would come out on top when that's likely the opinion of many of warrener's cohorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad