Speculation: Chris Kreider's Next Contract

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Sign him longterm, bridges don't usually work well with elite talent. 7 years/4.2 - 4.4 per

Thats a poor deal for both sides.

He'll get the screws put to him like every player coming off a rookie deal. 2 years max, and rightfully so. Let him prove he can be more consistent before hes signed long-term.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Thats a poor deal for both sides.

He'll get the screws put to him like every player coming off a rookie deal. 2 years max, and rightfully so. Let him prove he can be more consistent before hes signed long-term.

Agreed. Kid is clearly good but he also has yet to make the team out of training camp. I am sure he will this next season but Stepan got a bridge deal and he had 3 full seasons and lot more points and minutes played. People think every player should get 7m. Its crazy.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah Kreider isn't an "elite talent". He should get a raise and then will get paid after that if he continues to live up to his potential

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
His number will be interesting. One can argue that last year was his breakout year. This team clearly got a shot in the arm when he returned to play in the playoffs. He ended up with 5 goals and 13 points in 15 playoffs games. Not too shabby, and he had 2 less regular season points in one more game than Nash (had to throw that out). His agent will obviously play off the last season more as a breakout as the Rangers will talk about risk and how it can be a blip.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Yeah Kreider isn't an "elite talent". He should get a raise and then will get paid after that if he continues to live up to his potential

Ive seen him referenced as such around here and Im not quite sure why. He could have elite speed and an elite shot, but he uses both inconsistently. His puck handling skills leave something to be desired.

Good player but not a guy thats going to break the bank with his 2nd contract.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Need to give him a bridge deal if for nothing else but to keep costs down.

2 years, $2.25m/year

Done.

If he wants to hold out like Dubi did, like Step did, that's his right. He's got no leverage here.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

2 years, $2.25m/year

Done.

If he wants to hold out like Dubi did, like Step did, that's his right. He's got no leverage here.

I believe hes arbitration eligible, so theres some leverage.

That said, I dont know what arbitrator would give him much more given his sketchy performances over the past 3 seasons.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Ive seen him referenced as such around here and Im not quite sure why. He could have elite speed and an elite shot, but he uses both inconsistently. His puck handling skills leave something to be desired.

Good player but not a guy thats going to break the bank with his 2nd contract.

He has some unique skills, but isn't an overall elite player.

He needs to use his shot more often, but I don't have a problem with how he uses his speed for the most part other than I think he needs to drive to the net on occasion. His puck handling is fine for a guy who isn't trying to dance around other players, he holds onto it just fine and moves the puck well.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
He has some unique skills, but isn't an overall elite player.

He needs to use his shot more often, but I don't have a problem with how he uses his speed for the most part other than I think he needs to drive to the net on occasion. His puck handling is fine for a guy who isn't trying to dance around other players, he holds onto it just fine and moves the puck well.

Hes coming into his own. Will be a nice top 6 LW for this team going forward.

Will he be the perennial 30/30+ guy that many surmised a few years ago? Doubt it.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Hes coming into his own. Will be a nice top 6 LW for this team going forward.

Will he be the perennial 30/30+ guy that many surmised a few years ago? Doubt it.

it may be doubful, but he's a big winger, and big wingers take a bit longer to develop, as we all know. He's only 23 and seemed to have had his "breakout" year and playoffs. Hopefully he can build on that and come close to being that 30 goal guy.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I think we need to lock him up for at least 5-6 years considering the rising cap. His underlying numbers suggest that his production is sustainable and that he drives possession. Just like I advocated signing Zuccarello for at least 3 years last summer based on his underlying numbers (and what a contract that would've been), I think going long-term is the way here as well.

If we can get him to sign a 6-year deal with an AAV around $3.75M (slightly cheaper version of Simmonds' extension), it will quickly become a steal.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Unless u are a star coing out of your entry level deal, sather gives u a bridge deal. Fall in line like everyone else. Let him ask cally duby anisimov Stepan Hagelin etc

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
He's coming off an ELC. I don't think he has arbitration rights. Could definitely be wrong though.

Kreider signed his ELC on April 10th, 2012. He was 20 at the time, but for the purposes of arbitration, age is calculated as follows:

(c) As used in this Article, "age," including "First SPC Signing Age," means a Player's age on September 15 of the calendar year in which he first signs an SPC regardless of his actual age on the date he signs such SPC.

So for calculating arbitration eligibility, his age is set at 21, and he therefore only requires 3 years to be eligible.

It's the same reason that McDonagh was arbitration eligible last year when his ELC was up.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think we need to lock him up for at least 5-6 years considering the rising cap. His underlying numbers suggest that his production is sustainable and that he drives possession. Just like I advocated signing Zuccarello for at least 3 years last summer based on his underlying numbers (and what a contract that would've been), I think going long-term is the way here as well.

If we can get him to sign a 6-year deal with an AAV around $3.75M (slightly cheaper version of Simmonds' extension), it will quickly become a steal.

The problem is we don't really have the cap space to give him that kind of deal, not unless we trade someone or let guys go in free agency.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Kreider signed his ELC on April 10th, 2012. He was 20 at the time, but for the purposes of arbitration, age is calculated as follows:

So for calculating arbitration eligibility, his age is set at 21, and he therefore only requires 3 years to be eligible.

It's the same reason that McDonagh was arbitration eligible last year when his ELC was up.

Very interesting.

Thank you for the detailed explanation!

I used to know so much more about the CBA when I was blogging and not working :( I'm so out of the loop now! :cry:

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
The problem is we don't really have the cap space to give him that kind of deal, not unless we trade someone or let guys go in free agency.

CapGeek isn't cooperating with me at the moment so I couldn't post my lineup, but if we let Boyle walk and trade Dorsett for a pick/picks we can fit it under a $70M cap (13F, 7D, 2G). If that's too tight, just trade Klein for a pick/picks and replace him with Diaz (who is a better player anyway).

Wolfy*

Kreider will get a couple of years around 2.3, he shows talent but isn't an elite player yet. He's still young, plenty of time to show a good season or two.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

2 years, $2.25m/year

Done.

Unlikely considering he's arb eligible.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
CapGeek isn't cooperating with me at the moment so I couldn't post my lineup, but if we let Boyle walk and trade Dorsett for a pick/picks we can fit it under a $70M cap (13F, 7D, 2G). If that's too tight, just trade Klein for a pick/picks and replace him with Diaz (who is a better player anyway).

Diaz is not better than Klein by any stretch of the imagination.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Diaz is not better than Klein by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd wager Diaz has better possession stats, which the poster you quoted uses as the bible.

Nevermind Diaz has a 10-cent head and isn't used in any sort of situation that could be mistook for dangerous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad