Value of: Chris Kreider

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This has to be the 15th "value of Chris kreider" thread
Yep, he's a funny one. Inconsistent production through his career, but high end tools, so Rangers fans want the moon for him, and most fans want him for their team. But you see his typical production and it doesn't line up with expectations - except this year. I'd love him on the Oilers 2nd line. But I wouldn't give up what Rangers fans would want. If they want futures, I'd offer to include Yamamoto to start, but I don't think that gets the conversation going very far.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Yep, he's a funny one. Inconsistent production through his career, but high end tools, so Rangers fans want the moon for him, and most fans want him for their team. But you see his typical production and it doesn't line up with expectations - except this year. I'd love him on the Oilers 2nd line. But I wouldn't give up what Rangers fans would want. If they want futures, I'd offer to include Yamamoto to start, but I don't think that gets the conversation going very far.

Kreider may be the best player example of "expectation vs reality" for a guy since Alexei Kovalev

Kovalev had all the tools and flashes to tease you with being a truly elite player when most of his career he hoovered around just a really good player with some high end years peppered in

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The market is oversaturated this year. The offseason is a much better option, sure team will get him for less games, but teams will be more willing to part with 1st and assets. Right now, there's a lot of players who could be potentially moved, but only playoff teams are really going to make those moves.

Conversely once you get closer to the draft teams have started to fall in love with their guys on the board. The TDL is when people do more dumb things... but yeah... lots of wingers. Wait until next TDL.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Kucherov=9.5...Marner should get more?
McDavid=12.5...Matthews is equal to McDavid?

They'll use both of those deals as %s of the cap and ask for the same % to account for inflation. I could see Marner going from 9-11 range and AM getting 10-13. It'll just depend how team friendly they choose to be. Either way they'll both get whatever they want.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
They'll use both of those deals as %s of the cap and ask for the same % to account for inflation. I could see Marner going from 9-11 range and AM getting 10-13. It'll just depend how team friendly they choose to be. Either way they'll both get whatever they want.
This is probably very accurate.:thumbu:

Reactions: Meeqs

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Thing is Kucherov's new deal will kick in next year, same as Marner so you dont need to account for % of cap differences as the cap ceiling is the same for both contracts.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Imo closer to 22, 23M
I think that's high, Kucherov's deal to me is a ceiling for Marner and probably a little less than that (no inflation because it takes effect the same year, Marner has 4 RFA years to Kucherov's 1 at the time of the deal meaning more UFA years in Kucherov's deal). Matthews is a bit of a wildcard I guess, but I think somewhere around Tavares' contract is where it will end up with maybe a million of leeway. I could see it going $21Mish

I could see that being the case, and even in that case I don't know if they'll try to get every dollar because they'll know they control how good the team around them is going to be, depends on their priorities between money and winning. I think we assume that money is the top of everyone's priority list but we see guys go to good teams all the time where someone else was throwing slightly more at them

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Thing is Kucherov's new deal will kick in next year, same as Marner so you dont need to account for % of cap differences as the cap ceiling is the same for both contracts.
9.5 and 11.5 still fit into what I said I expect so wouldn't surprise me but neither would both getting double digits.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Kreider for Nuge straight across. Oilers get an experienced winger, Rangers get a little younger

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Kucherov=9.5...Marner should get more?
McDavid=12.5...Matthews is equal to McDavid?
If Marner hits 100 points, I can see him asking for the same roughly 12% against the cap, maybe higher due to the tax difference. If the cap goes to 83 million that'll be around 9.8 - so something though 10.5 isn't out of the question if he gets 100 points.

I don't think Matthews takes less than 12, unless he sustains another injury and misses time this season, impacting his production.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad