Value of: Chris Kreider

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Has 20 goals, on pace for 40, is a possession monster, great locker room guy, and one of the fastest skaters in the league. Big physical power forward who can impact your PP too.

27 years old with $4.625 cap hit and another year remaining on his deal.

Not sure the Rangers will trade him, but the Athletic listed him as one of 20 players who could be on the move. Curious as to what other teams would be willing to offer.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I wouldnt be all that surprised if at least one out of left field move happens with the number of calls they should be making. Kind of like JT Miller being thrown in with McD. Just something other than the obvious Zucc, Hayes, etc.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
There’s already some vets most likely moving this year in Zucc and Hayes
Rebuilds need vets who can play as well, I don’t want to be icing a team full of scrubs and young kids
Kreider is a great locker room guy, everyone seems to love him. I’d really rather keep him around, he’s evolving into a top 3 net front guy in the league and brings a bit of everything. If we’re moving him I’d want a crazy overpayment

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
The Rangers are already going to be purging key veterans at the deadline; I doubt they want to add to the bleeding. You need someone to be an exemplary role model and mentor for the younger guys trying to establish themselves.

Zuccarello and Hayes aren't scrubs. The Rangers will get good hauls for both players. It's not like they'll be hurting for assets, to the point where they'd trade Kreider.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The market is oversaturated this year. The offseason is a much better option, sure team will get him for less games, but teams will be more willing to part with 1st and assets. Right now, there's a lot of players who could be potentially moved, but only playoff teams are really going to make those moves.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He's exactly what the Stars need and what Jim Nill would want/be interested in.

Didn't even realize he's 27 now wow

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hayes and Zuccarello should get modest returns. Kreider will not.

It starts with your best prospect.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
The Rangers are already going to be purging key veterans at the deadline; I doubt they want to add to the bleeding. You need someone to be an exemplary role model and mentor for the younger guys trying to establish themselves.

Zuccarello and Hayes aren't scrubs. The Rangers will get good hauls for both players. It's not like they'll be hurting for assets, to the point where they'd trade Kreider.

The whole premise of moving Kreider is the idea that someone will offer the sun and moon for him.

He has another year left at a steal of a contract and will be looking for a retirement contract as a 29 year old.

There’s been a lot of terrific discussions on the Rangers board wondering what we should do with Kreider.

I think it ultimately boils down to what someone will realistically offer for him, and if he’s worth a 6-7m extension x 6~8 years.

Reactions: Off Sides

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
I also think Nylander for Kreider makes sense for both teams. NYR needs to end talent for the future, leafs need LW help and Kreider plays with sandpaper, speed, and can score.

Johnsson -Matthews - Marner
Kreider - Tavares - Kapenen
Marleau - Kadri - Hyman
Brown - Lindholm - Moore/Goat

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I also think Nylander for Kreider makes sense for both teams. NYR needs to end talent for the future, leafs need LW help and Kreider plays with sandpaper, speed, and can score.

Johnsson -Matthews - Marner
Kreider - Tavares - Kapenen
Marleau - Kadri - Hyman
Brown - Lindholm - Moore/Goat
age & term don't make as much sense for the Leafs as Nylander's does, and "leafs need help on LW" is less accurate than "leafs aren't as strong on LW as RW, but they have lots of winger prospects that are pushing for roster spots"

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The whole premise of moving Kreider is the idea that someone will offer the sun and moon for him.

He has another year left at a steal of a contract and will be looking for a retirement contract as a 29 year old.

There’s been a lot of terrific discussions on the Rangers board wondering what we should do with Kreider.

I think it ultimately boils down to what someone will realistically offer for him, and if he’s worth a 6-7m extension x 6~8 years.

That is how I also think it stands with Kreider, He is movable sure, anyone is, but highly doubt he is, and don’t think he should be moved. Unless someone wants to give the Rangers a substantial return. It will be lopsided in the Rangers favor.

Reactions: Kupo

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
age & term don't make as much sense for the Leafs as Nylander's does, and "leafs need help on LW" is less accurate than "leafs aren't as strong on LW as RW, but they have lots of winger prospects that are pushing for roster spots"
Age and term? He's 27 and makes $4.25 this season and next? Not to mention it gives some relief/flexiability to sign marner and matthews. Unless Nylander is traded for a RHD. A big reason why I added Kreider was my first point, "sandpaper". Something that everyone keeps referring to the leafs lacking.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Age and term? He's 27 and makes $4.25 this season and next? Not to mention it gives some relief/flexiability to sign marner and matthews. Unless Nylander is traded for a RHD. A big reason why I added Kreider was my first point, "sandpaper". Something that everyone keeps referring to the leafs lacking.
Right, why make moves to shorten a 6 Year window to two? Matthews and Marner fit regardless, there might be a minor move like Hyman or Brown if a little space is needed but the expected ranges for those guys fit without an issue

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Right, why make moves to shorten a 6 Year window to two? Matthews and Marner fit regardless, there might be a minor move like Hyman or Brown if a little space is needed but the expected ranges for those guys fit without an issue
Uhhhh.. Matthews and Marner fit regardless without issue? How much are you getting them to sign for?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I would not require a crazy over payment. At least I don't think so as my take on the Rangers board is not well received

My point of view, any team that trades for Kreider is getting these playoffs, next season, and next playoffs before his contract runs out.

In my possibly skewed logical take that is basically two rentals worth of stuff and a bit more for the regular season for a top line wing who has size and speed.

If some team can offer

-what will likely be two late 1sts (even if in two different drafts, even if not their own picks)

-plus two prospects, the type that usually move at deadline, limited ceiling yet projected to be at least middle 6F or ~#4D types

-some other conditional stuff in there depending on how well their team does with Kreider over those two playoffs, or if they extend him, (like some 2020 or 2021 3rd/4th round pick(s) that turn to 2nds if that team advances in the playoffs to some point or if they extend him)

That would be my framework for any deal, plus I'd be willing to take back short term cap hit(s) of some type within reason.

If the Rangers can only get a singular rental like return for him this deadline, they may as well keep him and turn him into that return next deadline should he not be extended, so it's going to have to be more than that, yet I do not expect them to get back top ceiling prospects (as those are not moving pretty much no matter what sort of Erat/Forsberg), or any super early picks (as he does not have the term left to return that.) Yet if some teams wants to offer a top ceiling prospect or a odds on lottery pick in lieu of some/most of that be my guest.

With that said I still do not love the return, all of that could turn into busts yet that is the dangerous game played when trading known for futures. Which is just part of rebuilding, taking chances that either your drafting prowess, maybe by trading up or down, or just plain luck eventually provides back at least what you are trading away if not more while it fits into a more advantageous timeline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad