Chris Kreider: Let the Jimmies Rustle

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Ah yes, the weekly *********......I mean thehockeynews, finally gave their substance devoid opinion on Kreider being a goalie killer.

It’s impossible to ever truly establish intent on a play like this. Kreider has a job to do and that’s to get the puck into the net in whatever fashion possible. With the physical attributes he possesses, the obvious method is by driving hard while using his body to shield the puck. It’s a play we see from Kreider and others on a nightly basis.

The results are usually going to be one of two things for a player doing this, which is either a great scoring chance or a near miss with the goaltender. What we’re not seeing with Kreider are the near misses. This makes four instances in little more than two full seasons that Kreider has either crashed into or injured netminders with his drives to the net.

At times goaltender interference calls can be argued – and Kreider’s contact with Fasth may even be one of those calls. What can’t be argued, however, is that there’s starting to be a pattern here. When Kreider has the puck on his stick and goes to the net, he’s making goaltenders pay a certain price.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/chris-kreider-getting-reputation-as-habitual-crease-crasher/

But my favorite quote? This comment ripping the writer apart.

Don't see the near misses? How many Rangers games do you watch? I watch every single one and there are FAR more near misses than there are crashes into goalies from Kreider. Do you really think the only time he takes the puck to the net hard ends up in contact with the goalie? Which you realize would mean he's only taken the puck hard to net 3 times in the last 3 seasons. What a joke, the witch hunt is reaching crazy levels. Kreider is getting a reputation he doesn't wholly deserve. He was pushed into Fleury, tripped into Price and what happened last night was barely even a penalty.

Literally the only reason why this mind set exists is because Alexi Emelin got burned and tried to recover by taking a Paul Bunyan hack at Kreider' ankles while he was barreling full speed at his goalie. It was Emelin's fault. The fact that the goalie was Carey Price, the team was Montreal and it was the Eastern Conference Finals are the only reasons this is a story.

To say "what we're not seeing is the near misses" is. A preposterous statement, frankly it's irresponsible as a writer to be putting that out there. Kreider is so fast and strong he's good for an average of a breakaway or two a game. You mean to tell me you honestly believe there are NO near misses in there? That's an embarrassing opinion to have, let alone put in print.

Kreider had a grand total of ZERO goals interference penalties last season. Want someone to wrote the article about and have it be the result of facts and not a media witch hunt.? Montreal's own Brendan Gallagher who has 8 goalie interference penalties last season.

Everyone and their mother (including Kerry Fraser as well as Therein and Habs players before they decided to play some gamesmanship and gain favor from the officials) said what Kreider did was clearly unintentional and the result of being tripped and trying to get a shot off before falling and it was unfortunate Price was hurt on the play, but no player, especially with no history of being dirty (literally none, his entire reputation comes from the media after the price inident) would risk injury to himself by barreling into the goalie like that. But I guess logic, reason and facts are

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Ah yes, the weekly *********......I mean thehockeynews, finally gave their substance devoid opinion on Kreider being a goalie killer.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/chris-kreider-getting-reputation-as-habitual-crease-crasher/

But my favorite quote? This comment ripping the writer apart.

That was my comment on that story.

I'm livid at this reputation that is being built up by the media.

*edit* Now I see how many spelling errors I made as I typed that one my phone at work. And my last sentence ended mid sentence lol, point still stands though.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Sometimes the media does **** like this. Nothing to write about but they've already got a ready made villain they've created so they run with that. Every word--every sentence is another paycheck for a hack writer. Later on the same hack may be seen as an authority on the game. Stan Fischler comes to mind. He used to write **** like that all in the time and often times in the hockey news.

I don't like it but there's not much anyone here is going to do about it. This is probably going to dog Kreider throughout his career and posters here better get use to it. Because he's bigger, faster and stronger than most players he's supposed to restrain himself from playing to his strengths. It's funny because I don't think fans of other teams if he were on 'their' team would want or expect him to restrain himself but since he's not on 'their' team they expect him to restrain himself on ours.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Sometimes the media does **** like this. Nothing to write about but they've already got a ready made villain they've created so they run with that. Every word--every sentence is another paycheck for a hack writer. Later on the same hack may be seen as an authority on the game. Stan Fischler comes to mind. He used to write **** like that all in the time and often times in the hockey news.

I don't like it but there's not much anyone here is going to do about it. This is probably going to dog Kreider throughout his career and posters here better get use to it. Because he's bigger, faster and stronger than most players he's supposed to restrain himself from playing to his strengths. It's funny because I don't think fans of other teams if he were on 'their' team would want or expect him to restrain himself but since he's not on 'their' team they expect him to restrain himself on ours.

What I hate most about it is how can any person who watches a lot of hockey, let alone gets paid to write about it, can look at that Price play and say "well, we don't know what Kreider's motive was." Yes we do, he was on a breakaway in a playoff game and was trying to get a shot off to try and score.

It's beyond my comprehension how someone can think Kreider was on a breakaway and the thought in his head was "well, I might as well see if I can injure Price here." Not to mention Kreider was only 4 games back from an injury I believe. No player wants to crash into the goalie at a high speed like that because A.) in today's game it will usually cause a penalty to be called and B) Kreider could've just have easily gotten injured on the play.

It's absolutely asinine to sit there and say that Kreider had any motive other than to score a goal. And how NONE of these people mention the fact that Emelin almost snapped his stick in half slashing Kreider's ankles is just ridiculous. If Emelin doesn'tm hack at Kreider's ankle like that, he probably scores, like he did later in that period.

It's funny how they act like it was 2010 Matt Cooke on the breakaway, a player with a history of questionable decisions. To that point I don't think anybody in hockey would've classified Kreider as a dirty player and the media decides to take that angle and now it's gospel where he's always thinking to injure (in their eyes).

Also the youtube video "Chris Kreider's goalie victims" showing the Anderson injury and him colliding with Fleury are examples of accidental contact. With Anderson Methot tripped Kreider who fell into the goalie, it was a freak play that could've happened to any player and any goalie. 100% no wiggle room, Methot's stick was in his feet and he stepped directly on it while trying to turn, Methot said so himself. Apparently since Anderson was injured, that means there was intent to injure in the eyes of the hive mind and the media. The Fleury play and Price play are bonehead defensive plays. Letang launched Kreider into Fleury and Emelin hacked Kreider down causing him to crash into Price. Cases of defensemen being surprised by Kreider's speed and frantically trying to do something to stop it. How is it on Kreider when Letang throws him into Fleury? Because he put himself in a position to score it's his fault Letang was a moron and threw him into the goalie?

I feel like Andy Dufresne in Shawshank fighting the sisters. Trying to fight the good fight (here with logic and reason) but no matter how wrong the other people are they just won't see it and continue to....say bad things about Kreider.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Props to you. Very well thought out comment. THN = WOAT

No big deal on the erros. It doesn't detract from the point that your post is spot on.

And Raspewtin wins the title of the year award. "Let the jimmies rustle" :laugh:
I actually made the thread then tried to make his post the 1st one, so, I ****ed everything up. :laugh:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Props to you. Very well thought out comment. THN = WOAT

No big deal on the erros. It doesn't detract from the point that your post is spot on.

And Raspewtin wins the title of the year award. "Let the jimmies rustle" :laugh:

Mott made the thread, I did make the OP though.

What do I win?

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
It's ******** like that article that gives these morons on the main board all the more reason to back up their baseless assessments of players they never watch, it's one thing for some idiot to say Kreider is the dirtiest players he's ever seen but for an article to get published like that which blatantly shows a hockey writer has no clue is beyond me. I never put much stock into what THN publishes but I'll make sure I steer well clear of anything their putting out there from now on.

It also really pisses me off that every other thread on the main board is filled with people who are somehow capable of assessing players careers based solely on what they can find on YouTube.

On a more player related note Kreider really needs to smarten up not just to avoid these penalties but to "harness his powers" and use his strength more to his advantage as far as driving wide and using his body to shield himself and make moves to the middle like Nash has been doing. I think he could draw a lot more penalties if he tried to handle to puck and use his acceleration to get around guys in and around the slot.

Last edited:

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Honestly don't care if he has this dumb reputation, it's great to hear all the people on the main board whining so hard. Fully enjoyable.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I thought the call last night was very borderline, to be honest. More disturbingly it kind of looked like a "reputation call", of which the reputation is fully undeserved.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I thought the call last night was very borderline, to be honest. More disturbingly it kind of looked like a "reputation call", of which the reputation is fully undeserved.

Yeah, watch the replay. The ref hesitated and looked at Kreider then raised his arm. Perhaps Fasth spinning like a ninja turtle also helped that as well.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Kreider got tripped into Anderson. Marc Methot fessed up to that after the game. Kreider got run into Fleury by Letang from behind. Even crosschecked hard the puck never left his stick until he shot a split second before colliding with the goalie and his shot went in the net. He should not have been penalized for that. That should have been a goal--and if Fleury had stopped it--it should have been a crosscheck to Letang. Kreider got tripped by Emelin after splitting the Canadiens defense and shot the puck high and wide as he was going down and before crashing into Price. Emelin should have been penalized and was not. Anyone who wants to replay any of that can take a look. What they'll see I suppose is what they'll want to see. But everything I've described above is true.

Now looking at the officiating on those plays--it leaves a lot to be desired. Calling off good goals--penalizing the wrong guy--not penalizing players who deserve it and that has only helped to feed the whole narrative because if for instance Kreider's goal against Pittsburgh had counted and he hadn't been penalized or if Emelin had been sent off to the penalty box for his trip there would be a lot less of a narrative for some fans and hack writers like the hockey news guy to go on. Unfortunately NHL officiating kind of sucks and not just in NHL games involving the Rangers--it just sucks overall. Not too many want to believe that though.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So what if he is a goalie killer? About ****ing time we had someone on this team who pissed people off.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
This Kreider stuff is bring up memories of Hollweg and I feel like this is a running discussion linking both players.

Hollweg was absolutely a reckless player. He ended up losing the benefit of the doubt that he wasnt trying to hurt guys. But he made hard, clean, explosive hits and got called based on his reputation. I remember a boarding major when the guy didn't go into the boards... Ironically enough, the Hollweg/Kreider issue is most similar with Montreal. The same day eli won his first SB, we came back from 4? down and beat montreal away. In that game, Kovalev took Hollweg's head off with an uncalled elbow. His next shift, he buried another hab into the boards and nearly derailed the comeback. I remember the talk here being that wasn't ranger hockey. We stood for class and rose above dirty antics. Fans were livid with Hollweg. While I disagree with that mentality, it is ingrained in this franchise. Meanwhile, kovalev gets props for a cheap hit.

Fast forward to now. MacKinnon gets the benefit of the doubt on the main biards for a hit on the goal line smashing a guy into the boards. Kreider does it, and it is victim number whatever of his dangerous play. Fans call us a classless franchise. I wish we were classless. I wish we played like those winning teams that toe and cross the line. We are the heels of the hockey world. Only this team, with gaborik getting pummeled by carcillo, potvin breaking ankles, lundmark's acl, ulanov spearing purinton in the nuts... Decades of turning the other cheek, only could the rangers get called classless because of an emilin trip.

The list of hockey players that systematically targeted others is very short. Cooke is on it. Stevens is definitely on it. He elbowed Ron "lady bing" Francis in the head until he flopped around like a fish out of water. He dropped lindros down 30 IQ points. Kariya without the puck. He reveled in injuring opponents and he somehow has a sterling rep.

Hockey fans are half blind by nature. We have to be. We are rabid followers of a fringe sport. We obviously see the world a little different. So I learned to ignore the kreider talk. Fans hate us because its New York. We have money to burn that they need desperately. Bettman is, and this makes me laugh, in cahoots with us. Shocking he didn't rig the Crosby draft for us. We are hated for existing and the bias is insurmountable. Just learn to enjoy their hate. Every win grates at the Montreal fans. Every Kreider goal and goalie bump opens up that ECF wound. Let it fester.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's on his way to being as hated as Sean Avery, except he's a tremendous forward as well.

Well I always thought Avery was an excellent player when he was focused on hockey, but nowhere near as dangerous as Kreider could be on the scoreboard.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
So what if he is a goalie killer? About ****ing time we had someone on this team who pissed people off.

I like having a guy who can piss the other team off. What I don't like is a player getting called for penalties based on reputation and I like it even less when he's undeserving of the reputation.

I love that he plays with a fire in his gut and the other teams hate him, I love that in a player. I'm just not looking forward to late in a playoff game and a b.s goalie interference call leads to a good goal being disallowed or him getting a bogus penalty in OT when replays show he didn't even touch the guy. I just don't want it to reach that point and it's frustrating that the media seems to be jumping at the opportunity to create a situation like that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I like having a guy who can piss the other team off. What I don't like is a player getting called for penalties based on reputation and I like it even less when he's undeserving of the reputation.

I love that he plays with a fire in his gut and the other teams hate him, I love that in a player. I'm just not looking forward to late in a playoff game and a b.s goalie interference call leads to a good goal being disallowed or him getting a bogus penalty in OT when replays show he didn't even touch the guy. I just don't want it to reach that point and it's frustrating that the media seems to be jumping at the opportunity to create a situation like that.

I don't disagree. Personally I get a big kick out of the hate from other fans and the media, but you're right, we have to hope it doesn't get to the point where it affects the refs because then it actually hurts us.

But I hope that as Chris matures, much like Avery and Tikkanen, he'll know how to pick his spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad