Chris Kreider/JT Miller Discussion Thread (2/16: Kreider recalled to NHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
To be completely honest, I'm a little bit impressed with Torts and Sather and how quickly they were able to help the depth of this team. Maybe I'm just easily impressed, but I like the recent additions to this team and with Gilroy stepping up.

Hopefully Gilroy can continue his good form and hopefully miller is able to handle the responsibility.

I agree 100%. They both saw that our 3rd and 4th lines were too slow and not skilled enough. So out go Rupp and Boyle (Boyle is demoted at the very least) and in are Miller and Powe.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Maybe I'm wrong but your posting history is very negative it seems. Anisimov, I don't believe ever hit 50 points. If either of those 2 guys never hits 50 points, I'll be disappointed. Anisimov's play in the AHL isn't the be all end all.
He hates Krieder and now i guess he hates Miller lol

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
I think Kreider will be a SERIOUS disappointment if he doesn't match Anisimov's NYR production. I think it's safe to say the same about Miller, though he wasn't as highly touted.
I agree with you. Kreider has been much more effective since his injury healed and miller looks like he will have a good future. Sure both will ahve ups and downs but they have a high ceiling

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
This teams needs to get the cycle back that they had from last year. This is the line i could definitely see doing that

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
The thing with Arty though is that a lot of the moves he can't pull off in the NHL (yet) are moves he was probably able to do with ease against AHL competition. He was always a step behind in dangling guys out of their jocks but that's just it, more often than not he was always a step behind. I still think he'll put it together one day and become a fantastic second liner, but it's just as possible he won't.

I love Arty, and he's the piece in the Nash trade i'll miss the most, but I wouldn't use his AHL scoring to say CK or JTM can't do what he did with the NYR just yet.

Agree with all that.
I would have put Boyle in the trade instead of ani and they still would have made the trade cause they didn't have much choice. I think it was between rangers and another team and we had the edge in trade talks. Hell,i think we were the last team left standing lol

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW, I just thought of something. This line would have the easiest matchup. Who do you put your best D-men and defensive forwards on the line with Nash/Richards, the line with Gabby Richards (I put Richards twice because I forget which line he's on now), or the line with a couple of kids on it? Their points may be inflated because they'll play the easiest minutes. Anyone agree? Unless of course they're used as a shutdown line, which seems highly unlikely.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
BTW, I just thought of something. This line would have the easiest matchup. Who do you put your best D-men and defensive forwards on the line with Nash/Richards, the line with Gabby Richards (I put Richards twice because I forget which line he's on now), or the line with a couple of kids on it? Their points may be inflated because they'll play the easiest minutes. Anyone agree? Unless of course they're used as a shutdown line, which seems highly unlikely.

Which is what we want. This line can perform like a 2nd line, but have the matchups of a 3rd line. and if the opponent decides to send their better guys out, well that leaves the other 2 lines.

Sounds favorable, and tough to play against.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The reason this line having recent success is a good thing is not necessarily because of anything inherent within the line, or about it, but because of the implications it has on the rest of the lineup.

This provides balance. It allows Stepan to not be forced to center Callahan. It allows three different lines with a potential 30 goal threat on them. And, it allows dependable 4th line players like Boyle, Halpern, Asham to not be forced to play above their heads.

Certainly Pyatt and Hagelin are playing "above themselves" in this current assortment, but the important thing to me is good balance and a group of lines that function together at even strength. Cally won't be at a lack of ice time because of PP and PK minutes.

It may be a good line But any success it has just makes the rest of the team that much better.

To a T.... Miller and Cally allows for Gabby, Nash, and Richards to play either together or separately. It gives additional time for these scorers to rest, while putting some solid depth on the ice for a good 2-4 minute shift. It allows the 4th line to not carry so much responsibility and try "scoring", because quite frankly none of those players are really scorers...

You're absolutely right, that is what this line does.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Miller and Kreider were drafted way earlier than Arty and performed better in World Juniors. Anisimov did have a great season as a 20 year old in the AHL... but Miller is 19 and in the NHL. I'd say that it's fair to say that he's always been a higher touted prospect, considering his draft status and the fact he made the NHL way earlier. On this site, Kreider was ranked as the 11th best prospect last October. Anisimov was never ranked that high.

I like Anisimov's game and think he can still develop into a great player... but he was never a better prospect at ages 18-21.

Kershaw

The thing with Arty though is that a lot of the moves he can't pull off in the NHL (yet) are moves he was probably able to do with ease against AHL competition. He was always a step behind in dangling guys out of their jocks but that's just it, more often than not he was always a step behind. I still think he'll put it together one day and become a fantastic second liner, but it's just as possible he won't.

I love Arty, and he's the piece in the Nash trade i'll miss the most, but I wouldn't use his AHL scoring to say CK or JTM can't do what he did with the NYR just yet.

You're probably right, but he was thrown under the bus as soon as he was called up. Playing him with goons to start his NHL career was a travesty for such an intriguing prospect like Anisimov at the time. If Miller or Kreider started their careers playing with garbage as linemates, people here would demand Torts to be roasted over the coals.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You're probably right, but he was thrown under the bus as soon as he was called up. Playing him with goons to start his NHL career was a travesty for such an intriguing prospect like Anisimov at the time. If Miller or Kreider started their careers playing with garbage as linemates, people here would demand Torts to be roasted over the coals.

He played some good hockey with the goons though. It was at the end of the season too, so it's not like those were his first shifts.

Kershaw

Maybe I'm wrong but your posting history is very negative it seems. Anisimov, I don't believe ever hit 50 points. If either of those 2 guys never hits 50 points, I'll be disappointed. Anisimov's play in the AHL isn't the be all end all.

Meh, 50 points is a just uninformative to describe a player's traits. I doubt either become constant 60+ pt threats like some people are expecting.

Millers draft projection was Mason Raymond (who has broken 50 pts once in his career) and our own head scout commented that he's similar to Dubinsky (who has also broken 50 points once in his career). There seems nothing so far in their careers to suggest they are anything more than that. Both should be fine role players that contribute to 35-50 pts on a yearly basis.

3rdlineglory

Korsi Kevin
Dec 1, 2012
Mahopac, NY

You're seriously overblowing the impact of that decision. Not only did that line produce, but Anisimov got playing time with more talented players later on. It's not like he was stashed away on the 4th line his whole tenure as a New York Ranger.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim

Kreider played his first two games with Rupp and Mitchell.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Disagree. Anisimov was #1 on the prospect rankings in 2009 after his dominant AHL season. And the prospect pool then was much, much deeper than the one right now.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=20838577&postcount=1

If Kreider or Miller put up that production during the lockout, the hype would be insufferable. Shiny new toy effect is in full effect here!

1. Artem Anisimov
2. Evgeny Grachev
3. Michael Del Zotto
4. Bobby Sanguinetti
5. Ryan McDonagh
6. Derek Stepan
7. Matt Gilroy
8. Chris Kreider
9. Michael Sauer
10. Ethan Werek

The fact that he's ahead of MDZ and McDonagh shows you all you need to know about these. Gilroy was ahead of Kreider and Sauer. Who cares how fans voted anyway? Besides at some point Kreider was our #1 prospect too.

Kershaw

He played some good hockey with the goons though. It was at the end of the season too, so it's not like those were his first shifts.

Anisimov most frequent linemates rookie season:

SEANAVERY 34.9
MICHALROZSIVAL 34.5
WADEREDDEN 33.6
MARCSTAAL 33.5
DANGIRARDI 31.2
MATTGILROY 30.7
MICHAELDELZOTTO 28.5
ENVERLISIN 24.3
CHRISTOPHERHIGGINS 21.8
ALESKOTALIK 20.5

AKA garbage.

Imagine Kreider having to play with most frequent linemates with Avery and Lisin. lol. 10 Fire Torts threads a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad