Confirmed with Link: Chris Drury Promoted to Associate General Manager

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I guess he leveraged those talks with Pittsburgh into a better position with us. Gorton and JD must have a lot of confidence in him.

And from Drury's perspective, I'd be soaking up everything that those two guys have to offer.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Total corporate move. Rewarding him with a title for not going to Pittsburgh.
I respect it. Drury has options. In order to make them less attractive than leaving, you need to pay the man. Good for him.

Reactions: egelband

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I know it’s not actually like this, but this promotion reminds me of when people at my company threaten to leave and are given fake titles to make them feel validated. We call it “being brought out to pasture”.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I could see JD walking away at some point in the future with Gorton becoming president and Drury GM.

It sounds like a good move for both - Crosby/Malkin aren’t getting any younger and that will eventually be a tough rebuild for a fan base used to contending.

fm

Jul 28, 2016
Almost certainly a pay bump to the neighborhood of whatever Pittsburgh was offering.

Reactions: Crease

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I know it’s not actually like this, but this promotion reminds me of when people at my company threaten to leave and are given fake titles to make them feel validated. We call it “being brought out to pasture”.

Yea, I think they actually intend for Drury to run this club eventually. You have to give him credit - he’s putting in the work at least. That’s something Messier was unwilling to do.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
We should have a poll for guesses on when Drury to GM, Gorton to President, JD to....advisor/Chairman/Evangelist happens. Probably two years or maybe less.

Reactions: CasusBelli and Tob

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I don't think Gorton will step down as GM unless he's forced to and I think he'll rather go somewhere else to be GM than retire as a president. Gorts is hungry. This is a pay raise and title raise to appease Drury in the meantime and just to hold it all together in the face of the Pittsburgh opening. This doesn't prevent Drury from going to another team to be GM in the off season if the right opportunity comes along.

Reactions: will1066

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
We should have a poll for guesses on when Drury to GM, Gorton to President, JD to....advisor/Chairman/Evangelist happens. Probably two years or maybe less.

I’ll take the over... can’t see Gorton going through the rebuild then turning over the reigns without trying to win a cup. I’m thinking 5 more seasons. In the meantime they’ll overpay Drury in his current role and he’ll take it to stay home... unless maybe a golden goose gig becomes available. Something like Boston.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad