Confirmed with Link: Chris Drury hires Ryan Martin as his AGM

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't know if this is "good" or "bad" or whatever. In some ways AGM seems to just kind of be someone who helps the GM take care of things not someone who has a big impact on the organization

Reactions: Ola

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I don't know if this is "good" or "bad" or whatever. In some ways AGM seems to just kind of be someone who helps the GM take care of things not someone who has a big impact on the organization
Well, they might. It's impossible for us to know what they had influence on or not. Although this board got very good at discerning what was a Maloney/Sather move or a Gorton/Sather move, somehow.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Veto power? I doubt it. But he was at least partially responsible for Detroit's cap woes from 2014 onward.

I don't believe for a second that he was telling Ken Holland that Darren Helm was worth 2.3 mil max, and Holland was saying, "But he's been a good soldier! Let's give him a 1.55 mil loyalty bonus!"
He undoubtedly has to bear some responsibility for the moves the Red Wings made with him as the AGM. How much, it's impossible for us to know.

But to say, "he's the capologist, why are there these bad cap hits?" doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The capologist role is "we want to add this player, can we make it work under the cap"?

Reactions: Barnaby and nyr2k2

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He undoubtedly has to bear some responsibility for the moves the Red Wings made with him as the AGM. How much, it's impossible for us to know.

But to say, "he's the capologist, why are there these bad cap hits?" doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The capologist role is "we want to add this player, can we make it work under the cap"?

The capologist's job is this: We have a budget of X and we want to add player Y. Let's analyze what they are worth by looking at league comparables and see if we can get him to take less money so we can add player Z that my boss the GM also wants on the team.

In Detroit Martin was responsible for researching what the players were worth and how their deals were structured. And he wasn't very good at it.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago

Did Martin have a falling out with Yzerman? I remember reading Holland wanted Martin to join him in Edmonton but Martin stayed with the Red Wings because he had worked with Yzerman before Yzerman went to TB. Maybe Martin wanted a new challenge.

What is his Boston connection? Who is he family to? Sather's niece? Dolan's PT?

He's from CT right? Could easily just be a nice pay bump, coupled with moving back home.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
The capologist's job is this: We have a budget of X and we want to add player Y. Let's analyze what they are worth by looking at league comparables and see if we can get him to take less money so we can add player Z that my boss the GM also wants on the team.

In Detroit Martin was responsible for researching what the players were worth and how their deals were structured. And he wasn't very good at it.

What was Holland responsible for?

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
So he was partially responsible for the total sh*tshow that DRW have been for the past five years? Brilliant!

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Ryan Martin enters his ninth season as assistant general manager and his 14th overall as a member of Detroit's front office team. Martin is primarily responsible for collective bargaining agreement administration and compliance, salary cap management, player contract research and analysis, and salary arbitration preparation. He is also involved extensively in all facets of player contract negotiations, strategic planning and player evaluations at both the professional and amateur levels. In addition, Martin is currently in his sixth season serving as general manager of the American Hockey League's Grand Rapids Griffins, who captured two Calder Cup championships over a five-year span under his watch (2013 and 2017). He oversees all aspects of hockey operations for the Griffins including player personnel decisions, player development, contract negotiations and player movement. Prior to joining the Red Wings in 2005, Martin practiced law from 1998-1999 in Denver, Colorado with the firm of Messner & Reeves, LLC, specializing in corporate, commercial transactional, and taxation law. From 1999-2003 he worked in Denver as an attorney and NHLPA certified player agent with Kurt Overhardt, PC and KO Sports, Inc., representing professional hockey players in all facets of their careers. From 2003-2005, Martin served as the in-house corporate counsel for a group of closely held businesses in Massachusetts and also worked as a part-time scout for the Omaha Lancers (USHL).
A native of Connecticut, Martin graduated from Trinity College in 1992 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics and Legal Studies. He went on to earn a law degree from the University of Denver, College of Law in 1997 and an LL.M. in taxation from the University of Denver, College of Law in 1998.
Ryan and his wife, Candace, reside in suburban Detroit with their daughter, Ava, and son, Cam.

For a second I thought this was going to be another Carp fanfic.

rmhulse

Aug 27, 2011
Wings fan here in peace.

Ryan Martin is hardly the capologist he's advertised to be. Detroit has him to blame for the following atrocious contracts:

Darren Helm - 5 years, 3.85 mil AAV
Justin Abdelkader - 7 years, 4.25 mil AAV
Danny DeKeyser - 6 years, 5 mil AAV
Frans Nielsen - 6 years, 5.25 mil AAV
Jonathan Ericsson - 6 years, 4.25 mil AAV
Stephen Weiss - 5 years, 4.9 mil AAV
Mike Green - 3 years, 6 mil AAV
Mike Green - 2 years, 5.375 mil AAV

Additionally, Grand Rapids, Detroit's farm team, is owned by the Devos family, not the Ilitch family. The way that the Grand Rapids Griffins was managed under Ryan Martin seemed like it was focused more on "winning now" in Grand Rapids than it was in the development of Red Wings prospects, and that has been reflected in their usage of a lot of AHL veterans rather than Detroit's kids in 1st and 2nd line roles.

The fact of the matter is this: Ryan Martin was a Ken Holland hold over and Yzerman has been slowly positioning his people in the organization. We Wings fans knew it was just a matter of time before he would be gone, and I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Although Martin may not have been fired by Yzerman he would have likely needed Yzerman's blessing to seek employment with another organization. This isn't the coup that some people bill it as.
Don’t piss on our parade. Our front office didn’t even know we had a cap, now we have a capologist!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad