Confirmed with Link: Chris Drury hires Ryan Martin as his AGM

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I wonder if the fact that he didn't move earlier isn't simply due to a time of life thing, like he felt his kids were too young back then or something.

Though that said, interesting that it appears he's essentially moving laterally. Did the Rangers offer more money? I would think DET is one of the few orgs that the Rangers can't really outbid for such a candidate, if they don't want to lose him.

Did Martin have a falling out with Yzerman? I remember reading Holland wanted Martin to join him in Edmonton but Martin stayed with the Red Wings because he had worked with Yzerman before Yzerman went to TB. Maybe Martin wanted a new challenge.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

Did Martin have a falling out with Yzerman? I remember reading Holland wanted Martin to join him in Edmonton but Martin stayed with the Red Wings because he had worked with Yzerman before Yzerman went to TB. Maybe Martin wanted a new challenge.

If he has been an AGM for 10 years, then really he should have been looking at GM jobs to move up in the career. Understandably, getting a GM job in the league isn't easy, but he's now got a GM title with the farm club, so that's a plus.

Reactions: TheDirtyH and Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What is his Boston connection? Who is he family to? Sather's niece? Dolan's PT?

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
I feel very comfortable with this hire and very happy to have a multi-faceted AGM who can help Drury. Now we got 2 Martins in the organization. One AGM, one D-coach. Speaking of Jacques, is he coming back this season?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
As far as I can tell, he never went to BU.

I guess Pat Verbeek was Yzerman's assistant GM in Tampa, and he made the move to Detroit, and they've had 2 assistant GMs since then.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Hopefully Drury just paid him really well!

Reactions: Daves a mess

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I feel very comfortable with this hire and very happy to have a multi-faceted AGM who can help Drury. Now we got 2 Martins in the organization. One AGM, one D-coach. Speaking of Jacques, is he coming back this season?

No. He's gone, depriving Sam of saying, "Ryan Martin. No relation to assistant coach Jacques Martin."

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Likes white clam chowder, and vocalizes chowder with an elongated inflection on the 'ow" part of the word

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
So we hired an AHL GM to have a key role on the NHL team? How did it work when we hired a college coach to coach an NHL team? Can we stick with established successful NHL people please. I thought we learned our lesson.
lmao respectfully what kind of complaint is this? i swear some of the garbage people are posting these days...this guy spent how many years in the red wings organization? that is not comparable to quinn at all...like 0%.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Seems like a pretty solid hire all around. Glad that we’ve finally added an aGM and cap guy to the front office

Wings fan here in peace.

Ryan Martin is hardly the capologist he's advertised to be. Detroit has him to blame for the following atrocious contracts:

Darren Helm - 5 years, 3.85 mil AAV
Justin Abdelkader - 7 years, 4.25 mil AAV
Danny DeKeyser - 6 years, 5 mil AAV
Frans Nielsen - 6 years, 5.25 mil AAV
Jonathan Ericsson - 6 years, 4.25 mil AAV
Stephen Weiss - 5 years, 4.9 mil AAV
Mike Green - 3 years, 6 mil AAV
Mike Green - 2 years, 5.375 mil AAV

Additionally, Grand Rapids, Detroit's farm team, is owned by the Devos family, not the Ilitch family. The way that the Grand Rapids Griffins was managed under Ryan Martin seemed like it was focused more on "winning now" in Grand Rapids than it was in the development of Red Wings prospects, and that has been reflected in their usage of a lot of AHL veterans rather than Detroit's kids in 1st and 2nd line roles.

The fact of the matter is this: Ryan Martin was a Ken Holland hold over and Yzerman has been slowly positioning his people in the organization. We Wings fans knew it was just a matter of time before he would be gone, and I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Although Martin may not have been fired by Yzerman he would have likely needed Yzerman's blessing to seek employment with another organization. This isn't the coup that some people bill it as.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Wings fan here in peace.

Ryan Martin is hardly the capologist he's advertised to be. Detroit has him to blame for the following atrocious contracts:

Darren Helm - 5 years, 3.85 mil AAV
Justin Abdelkader - 7 years, 4.25 mil AAV
Danny DeKeyser - 6 years, 5 mil AAV
Frans Nielsen - 6 years, 5.25 mil AAV
Jonathan Ericsson - 6 years, 4.25 mil AAV
Stephen Weiss - 5 years, 4.9 mil AAV
Mike Green - 3 years, 6 mil AAV
Mike Green - 2 years, 5.375 mil AAV

Additionally, Grand Rapids, Detroit's farm team, is owned by the Devos family, not the Ilitch family. The way that the Grand Rapids Griffins was managed under Ryan Martin seemed like it was focused more on "winning now" in Grand Rapids than it was in the development of Red Wings prospects, and that has been reflected in their usage of a lot of AHL veterans rather than Detroit's kids in 1st and 2nd line roles.

The fact of the matter is this: Ryan Martin was a Ken Holland hold over and Yzerman has been slowly positioning his people in the organization. We Wings fans knew it was just a matter of time before he would be gone, and I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Although Martin may not have been fired by Yzerman he would have likely needed Yzerman's blessing to seek employment with another organization. This isn't the coup that some people bill it as.
You think a capologist has veto power over bad contracts?

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Can't wait to see him granted an honorary degree from BU over the weekend!

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
You think a capologist has veto power over bad contracts?

Veto power? I doubt it. But he was at least partially responsible for Detroit's cap woes from 2014 onward.

I don't believe for a second that he was telling Ken Holland that Darren Helm was worth 2.3 mil max, and Holland was saying, "But he's been a good soldier! Let's give him a 1.55 mil loyalty bonus!"

Reactions: Barnaby

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
So we hired an AHL GM to have a key role on the NHL team? How did it work when we hired a college coach to coach an NHL team? Can we stick with established successful NHL people please. I thought we learned our lesson.

He's been assistant GM in Detroit for the past decade as well

It's not uncommon for the NHL assistant GM to also be the GM of the AHL team. Jim Schoenfeld had that role for the Rangers for years under Sather I believe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad