Confirmed with Link: Chris Drury hires Ryan Martin as his AGM

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Did Martin have a falling out with Yzerman? I remember reading Holland wanted Martin to join him in Edmonton but Martin stayed with the Red Wings because he had worked with Yzerman before Yzerman went to TB. Maybe Martin wanted a new challenge.
Maybe he’s hoping he’ll get a shot at the GM gig when Tom Wilson gets Drury fired in a few years.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Wings fan here in peace.

Ryan Martin is hardly the capologist he's advertised to be. Detroit has him to blame for the following atrocious contracts:

Darren Helm - 5 years, 3.85 mil AAV
Justin Abdelkader - 7 years, 4.25 mil AAV
Danny DeKeyser - 6 years, 5 mil AAV
Frans Nielsen - 6 years, 5.25 mil AAV
Jonathan Ericsson - 6 years, 4.25 mil AAV
Stephen Weiss - 5 years, 4.9 mil AAV
Mike Green - 3 years, 6 mil AAV
Mike Green - 2 years, 5.375 mil AAV

Additionally, Grand Rapids, Detroit's farm team, is owned by the Devos family, not the Ilitch family. The way that the Grand Rapids Griffins was managed under Ryan Martin seemed like it was focused more on "winning now" in Grand Rapids than it was in the development of Red Wings prospects, and that has been reflected in their usage of a lot of AHL veterans rather than Detroit's kids in 1st and 2nd line roles.

The fact of the matter is this: Ryan Martin was a Ken Holland hold over and Yzerman has been slowly positioning his people in the organization. We Wings fans knew it was just a matter of time before he would be gone, and I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Although Martin may not have been fired by Yzerman he would have likely needed Yzerman's blessing to seek employment with another organization. This isn't the coup that some people bill it as.

I think it’s an obvious sign that the Detroit saga is over for good when they can’t even keep their most heralded management personnel largely being behind their success. The rats are fleeing the ship.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't think Martin got a promotion, so I don't think he could have left without the Wings allowing it? But I guess that allowing to happen is different from wanting it.

Red Wings fans are happy about him leaving, but that's meaningless. Fans tend to have one guy they give all the credit and one they give all the blame and their GM is an insanely popular figure.

Leafs fans were upset they lost their guy but apparently no one cared here.

Reactions: Rongomania

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
yes you can pick up talent from outside, but it is a bigger risk than hiring a known entity.

This is Drury’s first shot at being a GM. His bosses were just fired one of the reasons being they hired a shitty outsider for coach.

Why take the risk when you are trying to prove yourself as a competent GM.

Put it another way, how many times do people complain on this board that our GM tries to be the smartest guy in the room at the draft instead of picking the “safe” pick. Now our gm is taking the “safe” hire and people are still upset.

The guy he hired is by all means competent and good at hisnjob. Why is that not enough? The grass is not always greener.

You misunderstand, I have no issue with the hire. I just refuse to close off potentially helpful candidates because "they're not an NHL insider/lifer"

Reactions: nyr2k2

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
You misunderstand, I have no issue with the hire. I just refuse to close off potentially helpful candidates because "they're not an NHL insider/lifer"

how do you know they closed off other people? Maybe they just thought he was the best.

people who are “lifers” are that way bc they are actually good at what they do. If they werent they would be out of a job or put of the league.

again people dont hire peeople just because they are friends in most cases. They hire them bc they are good at their job. Its not like they hired Hunter Biden.

they hired someone who is good if not great at what they do. We should all be happy about this hire.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
9vrO.gif

Reactions: Thirty One

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

I wonder if his connection to Berard had anything to do with joining the Rangers. Wouldn’t hurt.

Sounds like a really smart hire and also a really smart guy to bring in.

Gotta think he took a look at the Rangers cap situation and wouldn’t take the job unless he felt it was a scenario he had confidence in.

That makes me feel a little bit more comfortable about the future

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Wings fan here in peace.

Ryan Martin is hardly the capologist he's advertised to be. Detroit has him to blame for the following atrocious contracts:

Darren Helm - 5 years, 3.85 mil AAV
Justin Abdelkader - 7 years, 4.25 mil AAV
Danny DeKeyser - 6 years, 5 mil AAV
Frans Nielsen - 6 years, 5.25 mil AAV
Jonathan Ericsson - 6 years, 4.25 mil AAV
Stephen Weiss - 5 years, 4.9 mil AAV
Mike Green - 3 years, 6 mil AAV
Mike Green - 2 years, 5.375 mil AAV

Additionally, Grand Rapids, Detroit's farm team, is owned by the Devos family, not the Ilitch family. The way that the Grand Rapids Griffins was managed under Ryan Martin seemed like it was focused more on "winning now" in Grand Rapids than it was in the development of Red Wings prospects, and that has been reflected in their usage of a lot of AHL veterans rather than Detroit's kids in 1st and 2nd line roles.

The fact of the matter is this: Ryan Martin was a Ken Holland hold over and Yzerman has been slowly positioning his people in the organization. We Wings fans knew it was just a matter of time before he would be gone, and I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Although Martin may not have been fired by Yzerman he would have likely needed Yzerman's blessing to seek employment with another organization. This isn't the coup that some people bill it as.

Kenny Holland has brought the same contract philosophy with him to Edmonton.

RNH and Nurse got long-term max extensions. Hyman got 7 years as a free agent. Is Ryan Martin to blame for those contracts too?

The Rangers had a cap guy who was also their AGM. Cameron Hope. 2005-2011. The Rangers signed some awful contracts. Glen Sather was the GM. Nobody blamed Hope. We blamed the GM.

The Red Wings have signed some good contracts under Yzerman. Mantha. The Red Wings turned a signed Mantha into future assets. Nedeljkovic. Vrana. Does Martin any credit or does he only get the blame for the Holland era.

Yzerman wanted to bring Martin with him to TB in 2010. They worked together in Detroit before Yzerman left for TB. Martin could have joined Holland in Edmonton but Martin stayed in Detroit to work under Yzerman. Tyler Wright joined Holland in Edmonton. Yzerman could have fired Martin at any time. If the Rangers had not hired Martin, he would still be an AGM under Yzerman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad