(Chris) Bourque Vs. Caron

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Caron's playing because of injuries. Bourque was given a 3rd line job.

They both suck.

They both have played 1 more NHL game than any of us here, neither of them "suck", but Caron, I`ll wager, on another team with a full time opportunity will be a serviceable NHL`er, again, Caron has hardly been the worst Bruins player since opening day

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I'm not going to anoint him until he can consistently prove that he can bring energy, compete, win board battles, etc.,

Let's see him do it through the rest of the road trip and then the next three games, and then the next five, etc.,

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
They both have played 1 more NHL game than any of us here, neither of them "suck", but Caron, I`ll wager, on another team with a full time opportunity will be a serviceable NHL`er, again, Caron has hardly been the worst Bruins player since opening day

I understand they have talent and are being paid to play pro hockey.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Caron is 23 and makes like less than a million dolllars. I don't get why people are so quick to want to drop him.

HE IS 23!

I think because he's a potential prospect for an NHL level spot, its nearing the time **** or get off the pot. For the major prospects our expert judgment as fans and posters is pretty much decided at 23. People wouldn't care if no one ever thought he'd ever see NHL ice.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
With Eriksson, Kelly, and Paille out I'm not too worried about Caron.

When your team is riddled with injuries and you can rely on some young depth that doesn't hurt you and still win games (albeit against lower tier teams the last two games), I think you're in pretty good shape.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

When your team is riddled with injuries and you can rely on some young depth that doesn't hurt you and still win games (albeit against lower tier teams the last two games), I think you're in pretty good shape.

Lower tier or not, the boys are still winning games.....I`ll take it;)

qc

Aug 23, 2011
1. Sneakily turn the volume all the way down on his hotel-room alarm clock

2. Flee Edmonton, leaving a sleeping JC behind.

3. Re-sign Chris Bourque

4. Play him on the 3rd line

and then boom, Lord Stanley is ours. :yo:

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA

Good point...

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Not good enuff Ratty, should be potting hat tricks nightly.:sarcasm:

Marchand has been almost completely AWOL outside of a handful of games and some still harping on Caron
:shakehead

I can't stand points like this.

People have been all over Marchand for most of the year, but apparently we can't talk about Caron...because Marchand has been bad.

I'm not sure why it shouldn't piss me off that Caron has seemingly been given a job in which he has been given more chances than anyone else to earn and has not earned it. I understand times are particularly tough right now with injuries and illness, but he's the "go to" in situations like these, and it does upset me. He is decent in his own end (shown by the fact that he is only a -4 despite 1 point), but there really is not much positive to him being on the ice, aside from a penalty killing perspective or one in which you're just trying to preserve the lead. That should not be acceptable for a permanent spot as the 13th forward.

He's been given chances for the better part of four years, and has not improved his game one bit IMO over those years. Any spot in an NHL lineup has to be earned, and if you don't improve over time and plateau like he has when CJ has given him all the trust and confidence in the world, I don't get it.

And, again, stop with the "oh this guy is bad too, so shut up about this guy" arguments. It's such a stupid, idiotic way to sidestep the subject.

And for the record, would I take Caron over Bourque? Probably. I went to the Philly game last season after Bourque was put on waivers and Caron was brought in. What I saw there was that it's better to have a bigger guy doing nothing than a small one. Yet, that doesn't change the fact that Caron simply has not earned the 13th forward spot on this team. Like I said, if a guy like Vlad Sobotka is not good enough to be a 13th forward, I don't understand what qualifies Caron. Waiver wire here he comes (pleeease)

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Nick Johnson sounds like the perfect candidate for that position. He's not getting any better and can actually contribute in one way or another, unlike Jordan.

I am so thankful this board does not determine the Bruins line up: Caron is good on the PK. He is as or more effective than any off the guys called up from Providence. Caron is a good 13th forward on a cheap salary

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
Ultimately, they are both borderline NHL players.

Caron is a serviceable 3rd line player on a mediocre to bad team, and he is a 4th line player/13th forward on a good to very good team. That is just about how I felt about Bourque last year. I wasn't outraged at Bourque's play last year, nor am I outraged by Caron's play this year, because how can you be mad at someone for being what they are?

The real difference in the two players in terms of the number of chances the organization gave them, is that one player (Caron) was the team's first round pick. They obviously saw something in him which caused them to draft him, and they have put time and resources into developing him. He is going to have a longer leash for no other reason than that. Bourque was a guy who excelled in the AHL and who they acquired for another first round disappointment in Zach Hamill.

They took a chance on Bourque last year as a low-risk, low-cost option of filling in on the third line during the first 20 games of last season. As it turns out, it didn't work out. How much of that being on him is/was debatable. But the organization really didn't have anything invested in Bourque, so when it wasn't working, it was easy enough to cut bait.

Caron is useful to the team right now as a plug-n-play option when injuries occur, which they have. That being said, there are plenty of plug-n-play guys that can do the same thing as him. When his contract runs out, or they can include him as part of a package, he will be gone. He hasn't really earned his playing time at any level of the organization, but right now he is just a convenient body to have.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital

I understand that you are a Caron guy, and I agree that, based on expectations, he has not been the most disappointing Bruins player to date, but that is really beside the point.

Brad Marchand has a track record in this league. He has established himself as a top 6 NHL player (granted he's not playing like it this year). But he's a guy that worked himself into a top 6 role after starting out on the 4th line. He's a guy that was a key contributor on a Cup winning team. He's a guy who earned himself a solid contract in the league. No one is saying that Marchand has been good this year, but that doesn't mean that Caron has proven himself to be a reliable NHL player. The two things don't really have anything to do with each other. They can both be criticized.

I know what Caron is, so I'm not outraged by his play. This is what I expect of him, which is why I don't view him as a part of this team going forward. We're talking about the difference between a guy who has already established himself in the league and who is having a bad season, in Marchand, and a guy who has yet to establish himself at any level of pro hockey, and still hasn't shown himself to be anything more than a 13th forward/4th liner on a good team, this season.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I will challenge this. I say he HAS been the worst Bruins player since opening day. Decisively.

hubey

Nov 19, 2013
Regina, Saskatchewan
Looks like a GM holding onto another 1st round drafting mistake.

I think you nailed it Morris. That is the only reason he has been given chance after chance with no results. This is definitely his last opportunity with the Bruins. Bruins would be lucky to get a 4th or 5th round pick for him at the rate he is playing.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I think you nailed it Morris. That is the only reason he has been given chance after chance with no results. This is definitely his last opportunity with the Bruins. Bruins would be lucky to get a 4th or 5th round pick for him at the rate he is playing.

How are you so sure this is Caron's last oppertunity?????????

Is Caron a valuable asset for his contract as a 13th forward ? This is what matters IMO and and the answer is yes. If he fails to establish himself as more than this he most likely will not be back next year

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Borque just wasn't an NHL player on a top tier team... Caron is less than that...

No, Bourque is not an nhler at all. He has had multiple chances in multiple places. Caron is a 23 year old with sporadic appearances on an elite team. He is obviously not gonna get the work he needs up here, and he seems to take his play down a notch in the A, but he'll stick somewhere in the show. At 23 he is truly a good pker

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
No, Bourque is not an nhler at all. He has had multiple chances in multiple places. Caron is a 23 year old with sporadic appearances on an elite team. He is obviously not gonna get the work he needs up here, and he seems to take his play down a notch in the A, but he'll stick somewhere in the show. At 23 he is truly a good pker

Disagree...Borque could a roster spot on a basement team.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Bourque was released from a KHL team a couple of weeks ago. He's now in the Swiss league, I believe.

He's also 4 years older, 6 inches shorter, and twice as worthless as JC.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Bourque was released from a KHL team a couple of weeks ago. He's now in the Swiss league, I believe.

He's also 4 years older, 6 inches shorter, and twice as worthless as JC.

:laugh::laugh:
I am laughing at us arguing who's more worthless. Classic HF.

member 96824

How are you so sure this is Caron's last oppertunity?????????

Is Caron a valuable asset for his contract as a 13th forward ? This is what matters IMO and and the answer is yes. If he fails to establish himself as more than this he most likely will not be back next year

According to a well known, very reliable board source...he was just about gone earlier this year until the injury bug struck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad