(Chris) Bourque Vs. Caron

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Chris Bourque was basically let go after 18 games in Boston last year --the experiment was up in the eyes of coaches and management. It makes you wonder how much longer Caron has, no? Caron looked decent on the PK tonight and has decent spurts, but C. Bourque had an excellent motor (which Caron does not have) and the numbers do not lie:

Bourque: 18 games, 4pts (-6)
Caron: 14 games, 1pt (-4)

Of course, Bourque torched the AHL while Caron struggled to put up good numbers there either.

We obviously do not trust Caron to be a playoff performer (see Daugavins, Kasper) and his numbers are regressing from season to season. Yet, despite it all, he remains a Julien favourite --getting significantly more ice than Spooner (only 8mins).

A few people predicted that if he didn't perform right off the hop this year then he would be gone --what is the deal, is this guy untouchable from the front staff's POV?

What does he bring that makes him an NHL player? He is on pace for 5pts in 82 games and isn't an elite hitter, fighter, PKer --where does he find, keep his niche in the NHL?

How many more games does he have left in Boston? Does the Bourque standard apply here?

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Caron needs to be traded of waived. He brings nothing.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
and yes, I thought he looked decent on the last PK there tonight. He also took a stupid penalty earlier though.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
As noted in the game thread, Julien said after the game that he shortened his bench because he was dealing with several sick players. It wasn't about playing favorites.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Caron needs to be traded of waived. He brings nothing.

No.

He is press box fodder.

Do you prefer Matt Fraser rotted upstairs for 2 months playing once every 3 weeks instead of popping in 16 goals next to Spoons in Providence?

Or would you want Pandawful signed to do that same job?

Caron hasn't been used in a bigger role than that so I'm fine with him.

Grasshopperking

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
No.

He is press box fodder.

Do you prefer Matt Fraser rotted upstairs for 2 months playing once every 3 weeks instead of popping in 16 goals next to Spoons in Providence?

Or would you want Pandawful signed to do that same job?

Caron hasn't been used in a bigger role than that so I'm fine with him.

Nick Johnson sounds like the perfect candidate for that position. He's not getting any better and can actually contribute in one way or another, unlike Jordan.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
He brings nothing to the team. Though there have been flashes of where he seems to "get it". The first 2 or 3 games this season he was very good, and a stretch 2 seasons ago.

One wonders why he has these spurts of usefulness and then disappears.

I've said it before - he runs around the ice, but accomplishes nothing. I think its time to cut ties with Caron in the off season. His only value at the moment is he can fill in on the forth line in emergency situations.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Nick Johnson sounds like the perfect candidate for that position. He's not getting any better and can actually contribute in one way or another, unlike Jordan.

Could be.

Johnson and Caron are seeing far more ice than Spooner or Fraser. The better of the 2 is probably here to stay

This is the 4th season since Caron made the team out of camp and we told him to get an apartment in Boston. At one time the organization was high on him. I don't think they've pushed the issue and played him too much, his days here seem numbered. Hes just a body/plug.

I don't understand crying about a defensively responsible mediocre former high pick when we have a **** ton of injuries. We don't want 5/12 forwards to have little/no NHL experience it doesn't work like that. Caron and Johnson for that matter have plenty of NHL games under their belt there is a reason both are seeing far more ice time than Fraser and Spooner.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I thought Caron looked good on the PK last night.

He's a JAG, but you need guys to fill out the roster so might as well keep him as your 13th FWD during the regular season.

Then, maybe you make a deal at the deadline and he moves further down the depth chart.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Bourque vs Caron? That's like choosing between a bladder infection and cold sores. There is no winner.

More like between a sterling silver ice cream fork and an ice cream fork. One had a little flash to it, both aren't the best tool for the job but in a pinch you can get something from them.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I also think he has demonstrated the fact he is an NHLer. Maybe not here for good, but I think he would make a good fit on a team like the Oil or on another teams 4th line (that already has a pugilistic presence on the line).

The guy has always been able to kill penalties, and we have seen him score over a little stretch a couple of years ago (he was our best player for 2 weeks if I remember correctly). I'd rather have Johnson in his role now.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
I also think he has demonstrated the fact he is an NHLer. Maybe not here for good, but I think he would make a good fit on a team like the Oil or on another teams 4th line (that already has a pugilistic presence on the line).

The guy has always been able to kill penalties, and we have seen him score over a little stretch a couple of years ago (he was our best player for 2 weeks if I remember correctly). I'd rather have Johnson in his role now.

Oh hell, Jordan is a second liner on some teams... OK, a marginal one.

In the right system and some quality line mates he'll be pretty good, he needs someone to dish to and someone to make room for him.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Biggest issue I had with Bourque, and it`s one that is kind of out of his control was he just couldn`t win the board battles or even battle to the point where he could be effective. With Caron, he`s far better at this

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen

Caron is outscored by Luke Gazdic. Even the Oilers wouldn't want that guy.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Not drawing any conclusions, but Caron played a decent game last night vs. the Oil. He skated, competed for pucks along the boards, and showed good instincts on offence.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not drawing any conclusions, but Caron played a decent game last night vs. the Oil. He skated, competed for pucks along the boards, and showed good instincts on offence.

Not good enuff Ratty, should be potting hat tricks nightly.:sarcasm:

Marchand has been almost completely AWOL outside of a handful of games and some still harping on Caron:shakehead

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
I feel like with Caron I'm three years into a five year plan. It reminds me too much of work.

It was a bad pick then and aside from his draft position he has done nothing at any level to warrant even a 1 game try out.

premierplayer

Aug 2, 2010
Caron is 23 and makes like less than a million dolllars. I don't get why people are so quick to want to drop him.

HE IS 23!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad