Chris Bigras

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'm always surprised at athletes. They seem to often need reasons to produce. How about producing those 5 point games before the selection so you get picked for team Canada?

Often in NHL athletes produce either when it's contract year, or they feel like they need to produce more against their old teams to prove they made a mistake trading them etc...

How about just go out there and produce no matter what

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I'm always surprised at athletes. They seem to often need reasons to produce. How about producing those 5 point games before the selection so you get picked for team Canada?

Often in NHL athletes produce either when it's contract year, or they feel like they need to produce more against their old teams to prove they made a mistake trading them etc...

Humans are crazy

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Bigras is as good a defensive player as there is the the OHL. The fact he's up over a PPG from the blue line is ridiculous. Not to mention he has decent size now too. The only other dmen keeping up with him are smaller than Barrie and I'd bet it doesn't translate to the NHL that well.

I see him as Josi type of player tbh. Love that. Perfect #2 in about 2 years. Wouldn't be surprised if he made the Avs next year though.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

Motivation? Sounds like he harassed his anger.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If you have ever gone in the prospects thread to read about Bigras there you'd see we have talking about his offense all year in there. He's been having 2 and 3 point nights and was a PPG defenseman as a defensive defenseman before leaving for camp. He didn't just show up last night. It was also mentioned in that thread all of these points came on the PP and it was against a poor team, he's certainly took advantage of his opportunity to score (like a bunch of other big time scorers do when they put up a big night) but that explains why it was so many and he's probably not going to have a 5 point night again. The whole team Canada thing is a bunch of politics. They knew exactly the type of player Bigras is, what kind of season he was having and what he would bring to the table for them long before he ever arrived at camp. It sure is a nice statement to have that game now rather than say a few weeks from now though.

But in general nobody can be at their emotional peak 100% of the time. Not every game can be the biggest game of your life. It's just human nature that some games mean more than others.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It was five power play goals. It's not like he willed himself through five men and scored. He just had a game where his team got some 5 on 3's and the power play clicked.

Let's not get carried away with crazy theories that he's a new player just because he didn't get picked for Team Canada. He's the same guy. He'll have some zero point games going forward.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It was five power play goals. It's not like he willed himself through five men and scored. He just had a game where his team got some 5 on 3's and the power play clicked.

Let's not get carried away with crazy theories that he's a new player just because he didn't get picked for Team Canada. He's the same guy. He'll have some zero point games going forward.

Exactly. Great for Bigras to rack up a few points. He's a great prospect but let's not act like he decided he was going to go crazy just becuase he got cut. He was by the side of the net to tap in two loose pucks. Assists come when your team is on the power play all game.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

the main reason he got 5 points was because the other team was missing their stating goalie and best skater who are at the US wjc camp

bigras is always motivated

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If you have ever gone in the prospects thread to read about Bigras there you'd see we have talking about his offense all year in there.

This... and really we were discussing his offense before the season.

Also this... Bigras is just a talented kid that had a good game.

IMO team Canada really made a mistake cutting him. I have watched at lot of OHL and QMJHL games this year, and Bigras has been the best defensemen I have seen in either league this year.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO

So basically, mroe power play points in one game than anyone on the Avs all this season? :sarcasm:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This... and really we were discussing his offense before the season.

Also this... Bigras is just a talented kid that had a good game.

IMO team Canada really made a mistake cutting him. I have watched at lot of OHL and QMJHL games this year, and Bigras has been the best defensemen I have seen in either league this year.

Hockey Canada are feeling the pressure of taking Bigras over Nurse last year and feel like it was a mistake in the eyes of most Canadians. Whether Bigras is outplaying Nurse this year or not, most people knew Nurse would be taken ahead of him because of this.

Then when you look at the WHL, Mo and Theodore are absolute locks over Bigras. They're better defenseman. His only chance of playing was if he played the right side (which he can do).

I think Bigras should be there over Fleury though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Hockey Canada are feeling the pressure of taking Bigras over Nurse last year and feel like it was a mistake in the eyes of most Canadians. Whether Bigras is outplaying Nurse this year or not, most people knew Nurse would be taken ahead of him because of this.

Then when you look at the WHL, Mo and Theodore are absolute locks over Bigras. They're better defenseman. His only chance of playing was if he played the right side (which he can do).

I think Bigras should be there over Fleury though.

I'm not sold on Theodore being better than Bigras. I am a BIG Theodore fan, but they are not in the same realm defensively... Shea is much more dynamic offensively though. I think Theodore has more NHL potential, but if I was choosing the better player right now, I would pick Bigras.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I'm not sold on Theodore being better than Bigras. I am a BIG Theodore fan, but they are not in the same realm defensively... Shea is much more dynamic offensively though. I think Theodore has more NHL potential, but if I was choosing the better player right now, I would pick Bigras.

I was wondering if Theo had improved in this area this year. I recalling reading/hearing a lot about his defensive short comings leading up to the draft. If it's still a weakness I would take Bigras over him. It's not like that D group needs a one-dimensional offensive threat with Nurse, Morrissey, Bowey, and Hicketts on the roster, plus Bigras if he were to take Theo's place.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

I don't think it's that unreasonable to think that getting cut, especially as early as he was would give hum some extra motivation. But than maybe I'm crazy haha.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I was talking with a friend today and we were trying to figure out if this is Birgas' last eligible year in Owen Sound. Is that correct? Next year he either makes the NHL roster or he plays in Lake Erie?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I was talking with a friend today and we were trying to figure out if this is Birgas' last eligible year in Owen Sound. Is that correct? Next year he either makes the NHL roster or he plays in Lake Erie?
He's eligible for another year, I believe, but there's no chance of him going back. He'll be in Lake Erie if he's not in Colorado.

A 5th OHL season would be overkill.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It would be his overage year but those with NHL contracts don't go back. I'm sure there have been exceptions here or there but the Avs won't pay him to go back to junior so it's virtually certain he's at least in Lake Erie. Overagers are generally guys who weren't drafted or didn't get contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad