Chop Wood. Carry Water. Which Leafs compete every game ? Who doesn't ?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You know what, I don't even care how he plays in his own end. He doesn't even have to battle along the boards or in the corners of the offensive zone. I just stop ****ing completely bailing every time an opposing player gets within 10 feet of him. Protect the puck. Draw defenders to you to open up a teammate. Make something happen instead of just throwing the puck away until you get a tap-in or uncontested shot from the slot.

He' just a creampuff. The same personality that makes him bail is the one that makes him not want to compete for the puck. What kind of self respecting elite player doesn't want the puck?

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011
This thread tells you everything you need to know about the Leafs team and season. Runaway leader in this poll is highest-paid and "best" offensive player.

Kessel absolutely murders our offensive zone time. I think it was the Bozak line's first shift in the 2nd period last night, JVR and Bozak worked it along the boards and when it got to Kessel he realizes somebody might touch him and he just gives the puck away. Turnover, going the other way. He does this over and over again and as far as I'm concerned that's enough to fire Carlyle. How you allow anyone on your team get away with that their entire career is inexcusable. Kessel is the softest player in the league and it's not even close to close. He's in his own league. They should re-name it the Lady Kessel Award.

And whoever voted for Kulemin......seriously?

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
What are u talking about? The entire team pretty much just defended the net. Not just kadri. And reimer was down and out so its the right idea by kadri.

On the sekera thing, the effort was there by kadri but kadri didnt look on that play. I will agree with that.

Yes, the entire team looked horrible on not just that goal, but many others. My point is that Kadri has the ability to make fantastic offensive plays, but then seems to shut it down after he makes that play, resting on his laurels. There's no way a skilled Top 6 centre lets Andrej Sekera undress them like that. He's just not showing any signs of consistency...but I still hope he can get better at that to help this team in the future.

And as far as this thread goes, Kadri was certainly not the issue last night, but he is certainly part of the issues in the big picture. I just hope his already on again off again compete level isn't being horribly influenced by some of the "veterans" of the team.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I chose McClement, Kulemin, Gunnarsson, and Reilly.

McClement- I've never seen him not giving it all. Offensive black hole, but I don't care because he does his job better than some of the top paid guys do theirs

Kulemin- same as McClement. He makes mistakes still but he's never coasting

Gunnarsson- I don't find him to be as good as others do, but he tries. If the other d-men put in his effort we are in a playoff spot

Reilly- makes lots of mistakes, but he's young and he gives it.

Phaneuf stands still almost as much as Franson, although Franson might be skating. Hard to tell. For a supposed leader, he sure expects everyone else to do the actual work on the ice

Kessel- I don't care if he scores 30+. He makes zero effort on the backcheck 99.9999% of the time. Just gives up when any kind of contact is directed his way, lots of times before the contact is even made.

JVR-_ when he's on he's dominant. I wouldn't trade him but he needs to be more consistent

Bozak- I don't have many complaints about Bozak's work ethic, but when that line isn't moving, it's up to the center to move it

Kadri- lazy and disinterested

Lupul- He scores a goal and no one seems to notice the other 59 minutes of floating

Raymond- he can skate. Too bad most nights that's all he does is skate

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
19 obviously.

NO ONE is playing well, or doing their jobs. That includes Carlyle and even Nonis at this point

Everyone on the season is not bringing it every game, The problem is 2 - 3 guys play their butt off making hard plays/smart plays but in the overall scheme of things it goes un-noticed because 95% of the rest of the team **** the bead on a nightly basis.

So Kessel has a good game disappears for 5. JVR has a good game disappears for 5, Lupul has a good game and disappears for 5 same with Kadri, Dion plays a steady game but not the kind of effort you expect from your captain night in and night out, he needs to lead by example. The team needs to be more aggressive as a whole, play with a chip on their shoulder and make playing them not so fun for other teams.

I have seen teams play rougher in pond hockey, the players are not sticking up for one another and generally don't seem to give a **** for one another atm. When was the last time someone got hit and a leaf came rushing in and smoked someone or dropped the gloves for example. There is no passion left here for some reason, was last year a fluke or is there someone or someones bringing the team down?

All in all if Nonis wants to make the playoffs he needs to make a move soon, don't wait too long be it trade/trades, or coaching change something needs to happen and real soon. There has been a long enough window for the team to try and pull them selves out of this and they can't so make some sort of a move to try and jump start them out of this.

The Gleason should not be any kind of indication on the kind of trades Nonis should be trying to make. It was a sideways step at best if he can regain his playing level from a few seasons ago then he's going to pay off but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011
This thread tells you everything you need to know about the Leafs team and season. Runaway leader in this poll is highest-paid and "best" offensive player.

Kessel absolutely murders our offensive zone time. I think it was the Bozak line's first shift in the 2nd period last night, JVR and Bozak worked it along the boards and when it got to Kessel he realizes somebody might touch him and he just gives the puck away. Turnover, going the other way. He does this over and over again and as far as I'm concerned that's enough to fire Carlyle. How you allow anyone on your team get away with that their entire career is inexcusable. Kessel is the softest player in the league and it's not even close to close. He's in his own league. They should re-name it the Lady Kessel Award.

And whoever voted for Kulemin......seriously?

This, especially the comment about Kulemin. Kessel mails it in for half of his shift, on all his shifts. I disagree with the comments on Kadri, especially in last nights game. His line was the only line cycling and working down low in the O-zone.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
First thing Burns said to Gilmour, you have to be the hardest working player every day in practice.

/thread

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad