Chop Wood. Carry Water. Which Leafs compete every game ? Who doesn't ?

Penalty Kill Icing*

Some that do: Jerry D'Amigo, Bozak,Kulimen

Some that don't: pretty much everyone else

This.

Post number 5: So our goalies aren't competing every night? If anything, they are the ones who have showed up most nights. Especially Bernier. Even Patrick Roy had off-night.

Last edited by a moderator:

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Always been the knock on JVR too.. .just doesn't bring it every night. Like most guys on the team. Are they all actually that way, or are they all being affected by some greater influence? Who knows...

yakfish

"Holy Mackinaw!"
Dec 21, 2012
Ohio
The goalies ? Really. I'd put them right on top of the compete list.

Obviously Bernier's head was stuck up his ass the last two games. And on HFBoards you can't call out one Leafs goalie with being accused of being a fanboy homer of the other one so I had to include Reimer also. LOL!

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
The problem is that the guys who bring it most/every night are the ones who can't affect the games much. Love to see Torts here for the laughs

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Add Colton Orr to the "bring it" list. The guy has been busting his butt every game this year.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Every game? none of them.

the majority of the games? Kulemin, Bozak, D'amigo, Bolland, and the goalies.

I fully expect Bozak and Bolland to fall out of flavor in time, but one guy who I notice trying his hardest almost every shift is Kulemin. We need to re-sign him, as long as he doesn't over rate himself $ wise.

oldfan2010

Jan 2, 2010
Muskoka
Not nearly enough

Every game? none of them.

the majority of the games? Kulemin, Bozak, D'amigo, Bolland, and the goalies.

I fully expect Bozak and Bolland to fall out of flavor in time, but one guy who I notice trying his hardest almost every shift is Kulemin. We need to re-sign him, as long as he doesn't over rate himself $ wise.

Not nearly enough.

leafsfan2

Jan 4, 2007
Markham,ON
Kulemin, Bozak, D'amigo, Bolland are good choices. Will add .... damn cant think of any :(

Kessel is the worst and he is paid the most, or will be

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
half the defense is horrid

forward players short term you gotta replace: Raymond and one of our top 6 wingers like Lupul.

If youre really intense you trade a kessel for a shakeup like philly, but it better be a good piece.

Kessel+ for mackinnon for example.

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011
If youre watching this game and you think Kadri doesnt bring it, you're just a hater. And Kulemin brings it every shift of his life so far basically.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
Which leafs players don't "compete"?

In Randy Carlyle's interview he noted that much of this season the leaf players
- have not executed the system to their expectations
- have not shown the proper level of "compete" and
- have been inconsistent.

Further the players have echoed that the team in their interviews. Assuming, the above coaching has some validity then which are the problem players who are not executing and not competing night in and night out? This is not who is least skilled player but rather, who is not performing. [Multiple choices allowed].

1. JVR
2. Bozak
3. Kessel
4. Lupul
5. Kadri
6. Raymond
7. Clarkson
8. Mclemment
9. Kulemin
10. Phaneuf
11. Gunnarson
12. Franson
13. Gardiner
14. Reilly
15. Ranger
16. Fraser
17. 4th Line
18. Goalies
19. Everyone

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
19 obviously.

NO ONE is playing well, or doing their jobs. That includes Carlyle and even Nonis at this point

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's everyone, but it starts with Phil Kessel.

It's readily accepted by a large portion of the fanbase that he's a great sniper and shouldn't have to sully himself or risk his health for things like puck battles. Ok, well, when he's skating hard with the puck taking a ton of shots and producing at a point a game, and the team is winning, maybe that's okay.

But when you have 3 goals in a month and are due for a fat raise, and you skate towards loose pucks like you're scared and your team is in a funk and you never have to speak for the group, what does that mean?

If Phil Kessel gets a pass for doing **** all, why should we expect more out of Nazem Kadri? Why should we expect Mason Raymond to battle hard? Why should Colton Orr have to fight anyone?

It's a bunch of losers and it starts at the top. If Kessel wants to be a solution, fine. If not, you know who is setting the tone for this half assed effort.

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
I would say to get to the NHL you have to compete. Maybe players aren't competeing to their strenghts, and that is the coaches job to recognize that, and put them into the proper situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad