Choosing the wrong option

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
DiPietro and Luongo

Milbury saw a new diamond in the dust, so he offered a real diamond in the hand. Florida won.

What a waste that was. you have your future #1 goalie, so you trade him before you see what he can do only to draft a goalie #1 overall.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The biggest, and probably only, dissapointment in Hextalls era as GM in Philadelphia was one of his first moves; trading Scott Hartnell to Columbus for R.J. Umberger and a 4th round pick.

The only saving grace will be if that 4th round pick, Mikhail Vorobyov, continues his development trajectory to being a potential middle 6 Center down the line. He is currently playing 1C on Russian's U20 WJC team and has 5 assists already heading into todays game wit USA. If he busts, the trade will be looked back on truly awful.

Agreed....by far Hextall's worst mistake was his first move.

But Philly also got Salinitri in the deal as they dropped down a few spots in 2015 for a 6th in 2016. And he is PPG in the OHL.

So right now, it's Hartnell for Umberger, Vorobyov and Salinitri. Still bad, but at least there is hope to get something out of it.

xbr

Aug 13, 2005
With the Leafs management of past years this could end up being a pretty long list but these stand out for me...

- Pogge over Rask as many have said
- Trading Steen/Colaiacivo for Stempniak
- Kessel for what became Seguin/Hamilton
- Letting Stralman walk

They didn't let Stralman walk. Burke traded him for Calgary's 2011 2nd round pick, which he traded with Toronto's 2011 3rd round pick to Chicago to get back Toronto's 2010 2nd round pick (which had been traded to Mtl for Grabs and ended up in Chicago) so he could then trade that pick to Boston in the Kessel deal.

Burkes draft pick management is something else.

What is hilarious is that 2011 2nd became Saad, that 2011 draft is way more depressing then the 2010 draft in retrospect to me. In 2010 we gave away the pick that would become Seguin, in 2011 we gave up the picks that would become Hamilton, Rakell, Gibson and Saad. To make myself feel better I just imagine Burke would have wasted them on grinders anyway.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Opting to keep Pogge over Rask is the biggest Leafs example that I can think of.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Opting to keep Pogge over Rask is the biggest Leafs example that I can think of.

Yep, came to say that.

Lupul/Clarkson over MacArthur is another one. Lupul/Clarkson both got longer deals and bigger caphits, and have been worse players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad