Choosing the wrong option

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Teams often come to a situation where they have to make a decision between which player to keep, and which to let go. Usually due to cap issues.

Like Anaheim decided to trade Andersen and keep Gibson.

I believe this was a big mistake.

What are your biggest disappointments (in the management's choices) the past couple of years?

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Trading Andersen was the right move. Gibson was just as good as him last season while being four years younger. Not to mention he's much cheaper. Anaheim is in cap hell already as it is. And with Andersen it would be even worse.

It doesn't come close to the mistakes of trading a prime Teemu Selanne, or losing a prime Ilya Bryzgalov to waivers. Or trading a prime Andy McDonald for a washed up Doug Weight and Michal Birner. But of course, none of those happened in the last couple of years. :)

Biggest mistake recently was signing a declining Bieksa to an expensive extension before he had even played a game for the Ducks. And to top it off, give him a no trade clause. :facepalm:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Canes in the 2009 offseason deciding to let Seidenberg walk and trading Patrick Eaves and a 4th for a 37yo Aaron Ward to replace him. One of the worst asset management jobs I've ever seen...

Until two years later when the same GM, instead of doing the obvious at the deadline and trading two of the top 5 sought after rentals, signed two obviously declining assets in Tuomo Ruutu and Tim Gleason to huge long-term contract extensions. Instead of getting first round picks and prospects which the two were seeming likely to return, two years later they got Andrei Loktionov (who promptly went back to the KHL), Dennis Robertson, another cap dump in Liles, and a conditional 3rd.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I still smile whenever I think that Ottawa let Chara go in lieu of Redden. Not only that, but they signed that blundering oaf ( in comparison to Chara) to a massive contract which they eventually unloaded :)

Man was it ever great to be a Leafs fan in the late 90s - early 2000s. Not only did they beat up on the Sens, but those maroons went and did that!

Then again, trading Steen was a monstrous mistake.

OldMilIce

Apr 30, 2015
Niagara, ON
The entire Luongo/Canucks saga.

This has to be the worst. They went from having two top ten goalies in Lu and Schneider, and one who seemed to be up and coming in Lack, to having a past his prime Miller. Pretty unbelievable asset management. If they still had one of Lu or Schneider they actually might have a chance of clinging to competitiveness like they so clearly want to do.

93Ducks

Go Ducks
May 15, 2010
Teams often come to a situation where they have to make a decision between which player to keep, and which to let go. Usually due to cap issues.

Like Anaheim decided to trade Andersen and keep Gibson.

I believe this was a big mistake.

What are your biggest disappointments (in the management's choices) the past couple of years?

Overreaction much..? Gibson is young, he's going to make plenty of mistakes. Ducks couldn't afford Freddy, so they went with the cheaper and younger option. It's how things go in the cap era.

My gripe would be Bieksa. Bad option. 2nd round pick and NMC when Murray could have signed Beauch (who I realize is also declining) or just spend the money elsewhere was real bad.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
everything Mike Milbury did for the Isles from trading: Chara and the 2nd OA, Luongo, Palffy, Jokinen, Bertuzzi, McCabe...

Caps getting Erat for Forsberg still boggles the mind

as for the Habs, obviously Gomez for McDonagh+ is up there. Roy and Chelios trades dont really count as they were forced.

and before someone mentions the Kessel trade from Boston to Toronto, the Leafs wouldnt have the likes of : Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Rielly, + maybe more next draft if they didnt do it.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Choosing Derrick Pouliot with the 8th overall pick instead of either Filip Forsberg or Jacob Trouba. It's not even a hindsight complaint; Shero made a weird selection even back then.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think elliot should change his super awesome red pads. They are super noticeable. Didn't fleury improve when he changed from the bright yellow to white.

Yeah, something to do with giving the shooters a target when they can distinguish clearly between pad and ice/net. The theory was white pads are more difficult to see where the ice/net is and where the pad is, while brightly colored pads clearly define the open areas around the pad (particularly the gap in the five hole).

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
Trading Rask instead of Pogge/Tlusty (both of whom I believe Boston would've been content to accept) for Raycroft.

Also Matthews over Laine amirite

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Trading Rask instead of Pogge/Tlusty (both of whom I believe Boston would've been content to accept) for Raycroft.

Also Matthews over Laine amirite

Captain hindsight. But yeah they probably would of taken pogge after he became a household name in juniors. / could of even just not made the trade at all.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Reinhart for a 16 and 33 makes me a sad panda.

The names in the board at both picks were great on draft day. Look even better today... Sigh.

:facepalm:

But...

At least the team is good finally.

:yo:

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Whatever the **** happened in Buffalo during the summer of 07' was a pretty big error. The wrong option was most definitely chosen.

There was a lot thrown around by fans and media in terms of what actually happened that summer, but either way, it was a colossal **** up on managements part. It devastated the fan base, and turned what was a very strong contending team into a mentally weak, fringe playoff pushover. It was a major contributor towards what was eventually the Sabres rebuild and tank years.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Whatever the **** happened in Buffalo during the summer of 07' was a pretty big error. The wrong option was most definitely chosen.

There was a lot thrown around by fans and media in terms of what actually happened that summer, but either way, it was a colossal **** up on managements part. It devastated the fan base, and turned what was a very strong contending team into a mentally weak, fringe playoff pushover. It was a major contributor towards what was eventually the Sabres rebuild and tank years.

That was all money and edmontons offersheet. They lost their 2 best players and had to overpay their third.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I still smile whenever I think that Ottawa let Chara go in lieu of Redden. Not only that, but they signed that blundering oaf ( in comparison to Chara) to a massive contract which they eventually unloaded :)

In hindsight it was terrible, but there were reasons. Redden was not worse than Chara and Chara was miffed at the management for the Hossa situation.
Edit: epic autocorrect mistake.

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
In hindsight it was terrible, but there were reasons. Redden was not worse than Character and Character was miffed at the management for the Hussain situation.

Didn't that have a whole bunch of things going along with it with chara wanting to be the captain and not coming down from the salary he wanted while Redden agreed to come down to keep both . Plus chia going to Boston

Last edited:

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
That was all money and edmontons offersheet. They lost their 2 best players and had to overpay their third.

One rumor that stood out to me was that they could have had Briere, as it was reported that he wanted to stay. Instead they focused a lot of effort on signing Drury, who wasn't as keen on the idea of staying.

There were a lot of emotionally charged statements and rumors being thrown around after the fact, so it's hard to tell if this, or any other rumors are true. I still believe they could have had at least one of them, regardless of their internal cap situation. The situation was definitely mishandled within the organization. The whole offer sheet thing was just a cherry on top of the crap sundae.

If only Pegula was the owner back then. We might be talking about a Cup in Buffalo during those years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad