Rumor: Choose your coach from the final four (six?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Dineen, Bednar, Lambert, Boughner, and Green (I'd put them in that order).

I can't help but like the names coming out.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Out of all these candidates that are (supposedly) under consideration, we all KNOW who Chambers wants...Dineen because of his DU connection.

Well that's 100% accurate.

But we could do worse than Dineen. It does suck we had the real deal in quenneville years back and now we're going after the understudy.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'll fix the poll this one time with new info but after this I'll just forget it whenever the DP gets a whiff of info

Unfortunately the accuracy of the poll is kinda tough to fix at this point with what looks like about a hundred votes cast already.

I would be torn between Dineen and Bednar for instance but I already voted for Bednar.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Boughner is interesting to me, if only because of how Burns took off with him running the D. I think Z has a very similar skill set. I'm not sure how much of it was Boughner though, with Robinson still in the picture.

I'm really OK with all the names except Arniel and Larson. Poaching strong AHL coaches and assistants from great organizations is not a bad way to go.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Unfortunately the accuracy of the poll is kinda tough to fix at this point with what looks like about a hundred votes cast already.

I would be torn between Dineen and Bednar for instance but I already voted for Bednar.

I know, better than nothing I guess :dunno:

Frei thinks they should have just hired Hartley. The Denver media ladies and gents.

Supposedly Larsen didn't interview so we can forget about him.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Boughner is interesting to me, if only because of how Burns took off with him running the D. I think Z has a very similar skill set. I'm not sure how much of it was Boughner though, with Robinson still in the picture.

I'm really OK with all the names except Arniel and Larson. Poaching strong AHL coaches and assistants from great organizations is not a bad way to go.

Larsen isn't in the running, it's kind of buried in the article that mentions Boughner and Dineen as candidates.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
It's funny, when I first saw this poll I thought to myself, "Where's Dineen?".

I really don't think we could go wrong with him, Boughner or Bednar. There's something about Dineen I really like though, wish I could interview them all haha.

BK Avs

Nov 29, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I liked what I was reading about Bednar and Lambert, and I like that Boughner and Dineen have a lot of successful experience at the AC level, though I'd like to find out more about their styles. It's nice to see that Dineen and Boughner are confirmed as having interviewed, so GMs are letting us interview guys. Do we have confirmation that the original four candidates have been given permission to interview (or if they already have?)

Anyway, here's my priority list, as it stands now.

Bednar with a slight edge because I like the sound of his style
Lambert can't complain about Trotz's right hand man
Boughner/Dineen would be happy with either, but I don't know enough about their styles

Green

Arniel

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I know, better than nothing I guess :dunno:

Frei thinks they should have just hired Hartley. The Denver media ladies and gents.

Supposedly Larsen didn't interview so we can forget about him.

All due respect to Larsen, but thank goodness. If there was one name that was not like the others in that list of candidates, it was his.

I think he's got a lot of good traits to possibly make a good head coach one day though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Maybe Hench will help us out with the two new names. Hint hint. And if he does maybe I'll put it all in the op.

I'm not a fan of Boughner. I won't get too far into him because I may have a bias for a few reasons. I'll say a number of smart hockey people I know, love him. They think far, far more highly of him than I do.

I only know Dineen as a head coach from his time in Florida which was pretty decent. I think he has probably learned a good amount from his time with the Hawks. I remember a fast paced, but more possession based game. Less aggressive physically than most and based mostly on positional responsibilities. I personally don't think the Avs have the personnel to replicate the Hawks or a style based off IQ and positioning, like would probably be needed with Dineen.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm not a fan of Boughner. I won't get too far into him because I may have a bias for a few reasons. I'll say a number of smart hockey people I know, love him. They think far, far more highly of him than I do.

I only know Dineen as a head coach from his time in Florida which was pretty decent. I think he has probably learned a good amount from his time with the Hawks. I remember a fast paced, but more possession based game. Less aggressive physically than most and based mostly on positional responsibilities. I personally don't think the Avs have the personnel to replicate the Hawks or a style based off IQ and positioning, like would probably be needed with Dineen.

I don't think they have quite the same depth, or the backend to replicate the Hawks success right now, but if they can build the team the right way, they could have success down the road.

If you think of Jost as being able to play a similar role as Toews. I think Dutchy can play a similar role on the wing as Kane. Mikko can play a similar role as Hossa. Landy can play that Ladd role. As far as IQ, and positioning, all of those guys are somewhat similar. Then there's Mack with an added X factor.

They're not exact comparisons, and most, if not all of them won't become as good as their counterparts, but I think their personnel is capable of playing a similar style as the Hawks under Dineen.

The bottom six depth, and the backend, specifically the top 3 of the Hawks blueline is what sets them apart to be able to implement that style better than the Avs, because it compensates well for their weaknesses. The Avs potentially have the better goaltending to aid in that department as well though.

Learning what works for each individually styled player with the Hawks in that system, and seeing how they needed to adjust to win a Cup, is one of the bigger reasons I think Dineen could do well in Colorado.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think they have quite the same depth, or the backend to replicate the Hawks success right now, but if they can build the team the right way, they could have success down the road.

If you think of Jost as being able to play a similar role as Toews. I think Dutchy can play a similar role on the wing as Kane. Mikko can play a similar role as Hossa. Landy can play that Ladd role. As far as IQ, and positioning, all of those guys are somewhat similar. Then there's Mack with an added X factor.

They're not exact comparisons, and most, if not all of them won't become as good as their counterparts, but I think their personnel is capable of playing a similar style as the Hawks under Dineen.

The bottom six depth, and the backend, specifically the top 3 of the Hawks blueline is what sets them apart to be able to implement that style better than the Avs, because it compensates well for their weaknesses. The Avs potentially have the better goaltending to aid in that department as well though.

Learning what works for each individually styled player with the Hawks in that system, and seeing how they needed to adjust to win a Cup, is one of the bigger reasons I think Dineen could do well in Colorado.

Most coaches don't make it past 2 years... Maybe 3 if they are lucky. I don't see the Avs building the right team in 3 years for something that would fit a similar theme as the Hawks. IMO the Avs should look to a coach this hides their deficiencies to succeed right away or one that develops really well... I don't think Dineen fits either. He isn't a bad coach, just not the right fit.

BTW I don't think the Post knows a damn thing.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I really like what I read about Boughner. Can we be the first team with dual head coaches so we can steal both Bednar and Boughner? :laugh:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Exactly. Why would we want someone we know nothing about

Or, and I know this might seem like a crazy plan, instead of just going "If it's Larsen, I riot", maybe you find out a little bit about him before coming to that conclusion?

I mean, these are on the very first page of the thread:

I like Lambert the best. Good teacher, has learned from one of the best, proven results, etc. I think he is the best combination available in the group. I'd be happy with any but Arniel. Larsen is a pretty good coach himself, but the fact that his name was put out there by Frei after their this is the 4 article signals to me the Post may not have a clue.

Larsen mentored Bednar and Pratt... they all have similar philosophies.

Now, I too would rather not have Larsen (because I have been much preferring Bednar or Lambert...and now Dineen's name is interesting), and it appears that we don't have to even worry about that (as the DP is saying he won't be interviewed).

Last edited:

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Bob Boughner coached back to back Memorial Cup champions. Those teams were absolutely loaded though (Hall, Henrique, Ellis, Loktionov and a great supporting cast). Boughner then went to Columbus (the always present Columbus connection) to be an assistant under Scott Arniel for a season. I don't think it went very well for him, team only managed 81 points. He then went back to Windsor as HC for 4 bad seasons.

To be honest, and this is just my own baseless speculation, I don't see Boughner as having a particularly brilliant hockey mind. Yes, he had success last year as an assistant in SJ, but there is nothing very spectacular on his resume. Without a loaded roster he never accomplished anything in Windsor. Other than his Mem Cup season he never made it past the first round of the playoffs in the 8 years he was there. Let's not forget that Roy was also a Memorial Cup winning coach.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
Being able to snag Dineen would be huge. The one thing he has that no other coach does, a Stanley Cup ring. He has seen how a winning organization handles adversity and how they over come it. I really think he would break that losing mentality the team seems to have when they get down a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad