Rumor: Choose your coach from the final four (six?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I like Lambert the best. Good teacher, has learned from one of the best, proven results, etc. I think he is the best combination available in the group.

I'm in agreement with you here. I want the guy who has been coaching teams who have shown good defensive acumen, and good development of young defensemen.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
I'm in agreement with you here. I want the guy who has been coaching teams who have shown good defensive acumen, and good development of young defensemen.

Ya I voted Lambert as well for those reasons. I see the fascination with Bednar because it seems his style may be more suited for our team but I think we desperately need a coach who heavily focuses on the defensive, structured side of things. I'll be happy with either or, the wait is killing me!

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Kind of hilarious that no one voted Larsen -- it's like we only remember the player. :D I remember one thing about him, and that was he was always considered a good leader. He was captain at Hershey I think?

Pretty hard to know much about any of these candidates for most of us though, so I voted based on the sparse insights we've gotten on here. I'm almost equally as curious about how many assistants they'd get to choose, and where they'd even get them from, as it's already game on for currently employed coaches. Tricky bind Roy left the org in.

I don't think there's time to change the assistants.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
First off, I'll admit I don't know much about any of these guys.

Based on Hench's write up, Lambert certainly seems like an interesting choice. Given our mostly terrible defense over the last decade, it'd be nice to see what our team would do with a defense-first coach. I do wonder a bit about how he'd gel with MacKinnon and Duchene. Those types of players need a bit of extra leash because they capable of more than many other NHLers. Any time I hear about a coach that loves structure a worry a bit about the really creative players getting into the doghouse and the really hard working, gritty 3rd liners turning into favorites.

But that's all probably totally misplaced because the guy coaches Ovechkin, and he's the most extreme example of offense-first forward in the league.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
All I want for our next HC is someone capable of coming up with different strategies depending on the team we're playing and the players we have on the ice. Our biggest weakness for years has been our predictability on the ice. We play one way and once other teams figure it out we're done for. Happened the first year with Sacco and the first year with Roy, team came out the gate playing well and then by the end of the season and year 2 other teams have us figured out.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
As far as Bednar is concerned, which forwards are gonna struggle adjusting to his system?

I think the only one that will really struggle with it is Iggy, just due to age. Young Iggy would have been perfect for it, but when age has flattened three of your tires it is hard to be speedy. I think Duchene may some a little trouble with the aggressive, physical aspect of it, but he will adjust. Landy isn't the fastest, but I think will be fast enough, and plenty aggressive. MacK was born to play this style. Martinsen might be a bit slow, same with McLeod, but they will make up for it with physicality. Soda might struggle, as he is not fast, nor is he aggressive or physical, but he is smart enough to make it work. Ditto Grigs. Rantanen should be fine, but may need to be more physical. Mitchell maybe in the same boat. Colborne will fit right in, as will Comeau. Not going to speculate on 13th forward.

Not everyone is a super fast, but they will be fast enough. Not everyone is aggressive and physical, but most of the ones that aren't are all smart enough to pick their spots for it. We have some pretty good forecheckers, and some guys that like to throw the body, and some speedsters. The coaches job is to buildand adapt a system that the players can fit into and be effective. And regardless of which candidate gets the job, they all have shown the ability to do that.

Just my opinion, others may not agree. And fair chance they are the ones that are more correct.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I want an offensive tactical coach leaving Lambert out of the equation for me IMO. Sad news though that he lost his wife to the age of 45, if I browsed through that story correctly.

Penguins won the the Cup using their strengths to their advantage and Chicago has won multiple Cups being on the offensive side of the spectrum (though with smart decision making). That Penguins team also had a defensive core of Letang, Daley, Maata, Lovejoy, Schultz, Cole, and Dumoulin. True Avs don't have a defender who can match Letang in terms of talent, but Avs easily have a better top 3 now and have a better top 6 in terms of potential. I think Avs can win the Cup with the defensive core they have now, but with better coaching tactics which doesn't need to focus on boring defensive structures, but smarter decisions with the puck creating offensive chances with good puck possession. Look at the Dallas Stars and all they went through with a poor defensive core and just horrid goaltending, but won the division due to playing offensive majority of the time. Avs don't need a Jacques Martin because of how bad defensively the team is, what they need is a coach to realize the strengths of this club and play in a structured way utilizing the speed, size, and possession ability of these players IMO.

And because of that Bednar and Green are my top two candidates.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I'll be happy with someone whose system will allow our players to play to their strengths. No reason this team shouldn't be an offensive force.

What happened to Bob Boughner? I thought his name was in the mix and I was honestly intrigued by that.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I want an offensive tactical coach leaving Lambert out of the equation for me IMO.

This is a pretty tough coaching style imo, if you employ it you're basically opening yourself up for counter strategy and getting shut down in a spectacular fashion.

I think I'd be happier with a more conservative coach that was intelligent enough to open up the flood gates if the opponent called for it. That's why I'm intrigued by Lambert, because I feel like he's been exposed to two very different yet successfully coached clubs in Nashville and Washington. Both structured, strong defensively, aggressive teams but one play more of a grinding style whereas the other played a more offensive style. Both were successful, so ultimately he could let the players determine the team style as opposed to imposing his will on them.

All speculative, but that's my wish if it were possible.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
What happened to Bob Boughner? I thought his name was in the mix and I was honestly intrigued by that.
Might well be that the Sharks didn't let him interview.
If we even looked at him. This late in the off-season teams can be reluctant to let their coaches leave.
There was a tweet by LeBrun saying he had interviewed some GMs and it was 50-50 if they would let someone interview this late in the off-season.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Anyone catch what Pete and Moshe said on 950 today? I tuned in right as they hung up.
Nothing of value. He said it doesn't matter when they hire a coach, in terms of time frame, as long as they hire the right one. He didn't go into detail on the names.

I don't know enough about any of these coaches to really have a preference, but my feeling is that it will be Bednar.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I'll bite on the Green hype train i heard and vote for him. apparently he was a consideration for the HC position in Anaheim...

and holy ****, this poll is a landslide

Matheus

Jan 22, 2015
Rio Grande Do Sul
Bednar, but he is not who i want... i prefer a more experienced head coach, this team is too young to give a chance to a inexperienced coach. They try Roy and looks what happened. Unfortunately is hard at this time find a good coach.
I dont know who is the best candidate but they shoud try some veteran coach. Or just fill the gap this season with Bednar and wait until the end of the year and see what happens

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Bednar, but he is not who i want... i prefer a more experienced head coach, this team is too young to give a chance to a inexperienced coach. They try Roy and looks what happened. Unfortunately is hard at this time find a good coach.
I dont know who is the best candidate but they shoud try some veteran coach. Or just fill the gap this season with Bednar and wait until the end of the year and see what happens

I just don't see any of these other coaches wanting to jump ship for a short-term, commitment that is not guaranteed.

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
Tv please switch my pick to Lambert

I'm a defense guy. My favorite players have always been d besides forseberg, deadmarsh. Bourque, Foote, Weber, Hedman, Blake, Chelios.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Don't really care about these "new additions" to the coaching search...my Top 2 are still Bednar and Lambert (in that order).

In fact...I really wouldn't want Boughner at all, but maybe I need to look more into him (and gain some information from people who have watched/studied his coaching habits/tendencies at a much closer rate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad