Choose 1 Player in history that has played for your team

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
For the Sharks, some options:

LW: Prime Teemu Selanne replaces Tomas Hertl
C: Prime Joe Thornton replaces current old man Thornton
RW: Prime Owen Nolan or 56-goal Jonathan Cheechoo replaces Joe Pavelski. Or an interesting one: Maybe Sergei Makarov?

D gets a little tricky since you can argue either Paul Martin-Brent Burns or M.E. Vlasic-Justin Braun is first pair, depending on if you want an LD or RD. I'd look at Rob Blake, Dan Boyle, Doug Wilson or Sandis Ozolinsh. Scott Hannan if you wanted a pure shutdown guy with Burns but I don't know if his clutch and grab style would fly today.

In net, **** Ed Belfour, so throw him in the trash. Mike Vernon is an interesting option, but Martin Jones was so great last playoffs I'm happy with him.

Ultimately, I'd probably go prime Rob Blake, as old man Blake had great chemistry with Vlasic when they played together, and prime Blake and prime Vlasic would just take that to a whole new level.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Kiprusoff for Elliott. Adding Iginla to Gaudreau and Monahan would be nice but a prime Kilper basically makes the team a cup contender

Agreed.

As at this point, we have a huge "?" at 1RW. Prime Iggy would replace that very well... But a prime Kipper IMO brings us closer to a cup than Prime Iggy as it fills a bigger hole than the RW hole we have currently.

Prime Iggy = Entertainment
Prime Kipper = Closer to a cup than Iggy

Based on the spirit of the thread, I'm guessing we'd have a goalie tandem of Kipper//Johnson. That's a good combo.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Joe Sakic, not close for Avs, kick out whoever.

Harvey for Habs, kick out whoever.

Harvey instead of Beaulieu?

Yeah ok, count me in

But I guess we could make due with Maurice Richard instead of Radulov too.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
If that's the case, and WHA counts, I'd take Howe. We have no idea how our lines are really going to shake out, but he can take any slot.

lol no WHA. had to have played an NHL game for said team.

NHL 17 rules was in reference too whether a player would be able to adjust to style of play.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Prime Bourque never played with Colorado, and Nate and Duchene played wing in the past.

Players can only play their most played position. And you get the prime version regardless.

The answer is clearly Bourque.

The answer is probably still Bourque even if we only got Avs Bourque.

Sakic/Forsberg > MacKinnon,
Blake > EJ,
Roy >> Varlamov

Meanwhile

Borque >>>>>>>>> Beuchemin.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Prime Bourque never played with Colorado, and Nate and Duchene played wing in the past.

From the OP -

No matter if it is 1 game or a thousand games, choose one player (their prime version) to replace ONE player in your top line, top pair D, or Goalie.

The player you replace will not be available on a different line. And players may only play their most played position. The same applies for LD and RD

Bolded parts are relevant. Based on the rules of this thread, Bourque is probably the best answer. Iginla would also be a good choice, since our RW depth is horrible, and prime Iggy was dominant.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Very tough for me.

Boucher, Messier, and Ratelle are major upgrades over Stepan.
Cook, Bathgate, and Gilbert are major upgrades over Nash.
Leetch and Park are major upgrades over McDonagh.

Actually, since the OP rules say the team gets the player's prime years no matter what, Rangers trade Stepan for Gretzky :laugh:

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't want to replace Kopitar or Doughty, Quick is ok too. I will trade Gaborik for Prime Kurri or even Prime Gaborik.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
lol no WHA. had to have played an NHL game for said team.

NHL 17 rules was in reference too whether a player would be able to adjust to style of play.

Damnit. Back to the drawing board. Probably leaning goalie at this point...

Gordie Howe did play in the NHL for the Whalers for a season in 1980, his last season in pro hockey (not counting the one IHL game). 80 games, 15G, 26A. So yeah, the Canes replace whoever winds up at right wing on our first line- Stempniak would be my guess- with Gordie Howe.

It would be a significant upgrade.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
From the OP -

Bolded parts are relevant. Based on the rules of this thread, Bourque is probably the best answer. Iginla would also be a good choice, since our RW depth is horrible, and prime Iggy was dominant.

Yeah, that's how I read it too. You're essentially getting an upgrade on a guy (removed from top line or top pairing) with prime guy that played on your team before. 1RW/LW/C or #1 or #2 D and G are the options for upgrade.

For Avs, isn't it something like... Rantanen for Prime Iggy if RW? (not sure who your 1RW is).

I think this gap would be greater than the gap between replacing Barrie with Bourque... isn't it?

Deaner

Oct 9, 2011
For the Habs fans choosing Harvey, didn't they just dump a guy who plays a similar game (puck-carrying D). Knowing what we're working with behind the bench, I think Robinson is the choice. Big Bird + Weber....that's a world of hurt for opposing forwards.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah, that's how I read it too. You're essentially getting an upgrade on a guy (removed from top line or top pairing) with prime guy that played on your team before. 1RW/LW/C or #1 or #2 D and G are the options for upgrade.

For Avs, isn't it something like... Rantanen for Prime Iggy if RW? (not sure who your 1RW is).

I think this gap would be greater than the gap between replacing Barrie with Bourque... isn't it?

Gap might be bigger, but I'd say the impact of Bourque would still be greater being the better player playing he more valuable position.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
a) Klef or Larsson with prime Pronger

or

b) Talbot with prime Richter

make us a playoff contender

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

To be honest, I'm not sure who our 1RW is right now. Looking at the roster, according to NHL.com, our RWs consist of Iginla, Rantanen, Mike Sislo, Ben Smith, Trent Vogelhuber and Joe Whitney. Even though he was horrible last season, since Rantanen hasn't even played in the top 6 yet, I'm calling Iginla our 1RW and trading old Iggy for prime Iggy.

And, I'd be replacing Beauchemin with Bourque, since Barrie is the RD on the second pairing, not the LD on the first pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad