Choose 1 Player in history that has played for your team

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Pre-Season boredom. I was Pavel Bure: The Lost Shift and it got me thinking.....

No matter if it is 1 game or a thousand games, choose one player (their prime version) to replace ONE player in your top line, top pair D, or Goalie.

The player you replace will not be available on a different line. And players may only play their most played position. The same applies for LD and RD

Sorry, you cannot have McDavid and Gretzky as Gretzky would replace McDavid. Likewise with Mario.

With this switch, is your team a Cup Contender?

I'm still debating between Prime Jagr or Prime Bure. Although, a Prime Mike Vernon would be nice too!

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Pre-Season boredom. I was Pavel Bure: The Lost Shift and it got me thinking.....

No matter if it is 1 game or a thousand games, choose one player (their prime version) to replace ONE player in your top line, top pair D, or Goalie.

The player you replace will not be available on a different line. And players may only play their most played position. The same applies for LD and RD

Sorry, you cannot have McDavid and Gretzky as Gretzky would replace McDavid. Likewise with Mario.

With this switch, is your team a Cup Contender?

I'm still debating between Prime Jagr or Prime Bure. Although, a Prime Mike Vernon would be nice too!

That's an interesting choice when you guys have had Belfour, Luongo and Beezer.

For the Canucks it would be Bure as well to replace Henrik I guess, which would leave a terrifying group of centers so the team would still suck. Messier is the best player to play for the team, and would likely have the biggest impact if he was in his prime, but eff that guy. Plus at least if the team is going to stink, Bure could keep things entertaining.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
That's an interesting choice when you guys have had Belfour, Luongo and Beezer.

For the Canucks it would be Bure as well to replace Henrik I guess, which would leave a terrifying group of centers so the team would still suck. Messier is the best player to play for the team, and would likely have the biggest impact if he was in his prime, but eff that guy. Plus at least if the team is going to stink, Bure could keep things entertaining.

not gonna lie, I think Belfour was a hooligan. I never liked him lol.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
For the Ducks, I think it would have to be Kariya. Since Selanne would replace Perry and the difference can be bigger with Kariya.

For the Caps, Langway.

For the Panthers, Bure.

For the Jets, Hull (if we get to pick WHA players too) and Selanne if not. Edit: Oops, I just remembered that Hull played for the Jets in the NHL for 18 games in his last season. So by default, he qualifies. This is easily him.

JA

Pavel Bure.

Splitting Ray Bourque and Paul Stanton:

Bure_BostonSplitD_zpsiojrcgnc.gif

Coast-to-coast against Nick Lidstrom:

Bure_DetroitLidstromCoasttoCoast_zpsbqhw4syt.gif

Around Steve Duschene:

Bure_StLouisOutsidetoMiddle_zpslotdaqti.gif

Around Scott Stevens:

Bure_NewJersey_Terreri_zpsoxbqgvcs.gif

Making a fool of Dave Ellett.

Bure_TorontoWCFGame2_zpsiovjtp7a.gif

Speeding around Teppo Numminen and Fredrik Olausson:

Bure_WinnipegWideDeke_zpsiljn98hz.gif

Bure_DallasFlipSwing_zpsijvebckp.gif

Splitting Matthieu Schneider and Kirk Muller:

Bure_IslandersJumpDeke_zpsmy5zeqqb.gif

Around Jiri Slegr:

19175.gif

His first NHL shift, splitting the Jets defense and beating Fredrik Olausson:

Bure_WinnipegFirstShift_zps2mtky2qn.gif

Look at how he pivots here (World Championship 2000), causing the opposing player to fall; Mark Streit watches helplessly:

Bure_2000WC_PivotGoal_zpsthceteyk.gif

Turning on a dime, surprising Igor Ulanov, Phil Housley, and Aaron Broten:

Bure_WinnipegPivotGoal_64color_zps9vpwtzrd.gif

Just a handful of plays from a supreme talent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
For the Ducks, I think it would have to be Kariya. Since Selanne would replace Perry and the difference can be bigger with Kariya.

For the Caps, Langway.

For the Panthers, Bure.

For the Jets, Hull (if we get to pick WHA players too) and Selanne if not. Edit: Oops, I just remembered that Hull played for the Jets in the NHL for 18 games in his last season. So by default, he qualifies. This is easily him.

I totally wasn't thinking of specific forward positions, just forward for best forward. In that case then definitely Bure to replace Eriksson.

Regnes

Feb 14, 2015
Prince George, BC
Would be hard to pass on Mark Messier, would replace Jayson Megna with him.

Though, if the Canucks ever had an elite defenseman, I'd probably be tempted to replace Luca Sbisa.

EDIT:

Misread, I guess Henrik Sedin goes bye bye.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Sooo Coffee in for Sekera? I'll do that trade off :laugh: Prime Pronger for any of the defenceman would also be rather nice :laugh:

Though you can't go wrong swapping any of McDavid, RNH, or Eberle for Gretzky, Messier or Kurri.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Would be hard to pass on Mark Messier, would replace Jayson Megna with him.

Though, if the Canucks ever had an elite defenseman, I'd probably be tempted to replace Luca Sbisa.

EDIT:

Misread, I guess Henrik Sedin goes bye bye.

Sadly, despite being around for 46 seasons, there's an argument that every team but Columbus has had a better defenseman play for it at one point.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
The Washington Capitals would like to replace Brooks Orpik with Rod Langway.

I don't even think there's any other answer unless I'm misreading the question. Ovechkin is far and away the best winger, Backstrom is probably the best center, Holtby is the best goalie, and Carlson is good enough at RD that an improvement on him wouldn't be a smart option.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Tough one for Preds, it could be...

Peter Forsberg to replace Johansen at C
Paul Kariya to replace Jarnkrok at LW
Tomas Vokoun or Prime Rinne to replace Rinne at G

Normally I think Kariya would be the choice. But replacing Rinne might be more beneficial right now.

I think I'd still go with Kariya and hope Rinne had a bit of a bounce back season.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The Washington Capitals would like to replace Brooks Orpik with Rod Langway.

I don't even think there's any other answer unless I'm misreading the question. Ovechkin is far and away the best winger, Backstrom is probably the best center, Holtby is the best goalie, and Carlson is good enough at RD that an improvement on him wouldn't be a smart option.

You could replace Oshie with Bondra, that's a significant improvement.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
You could replace Oshie with Bondra, that's a significant improvement.

Bondra played primarily on the 2nd line right? So is that Williams or Bura hed be replacing. if its Bura I like our chances. Finally have scoring depth

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
Replace Hornqvist with Jagr, although a Stevens or Tocchet might be a better fit on a Crosby line.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
So easy for the flames... Prime Iginla slots into that #1 RW spot and lose whichever of Brouwer/Frolik/Chiasson or some other scrub you feel like.

JG-Monahan(or Bennett)-Iginla

I'd put that against most other top lines.

Last year woulda been Kipper and not close.

(But really... JG with prime Iggy and I wouldn't be surprised if Iggy hit 60 goals.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad