CHL Territorial Rights

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
As for Galchenyuk, I'd be interested in learning the rule around that. Because I was under the impression that reason he left Russia to come over to play for the Chicago Young Americans during his minor midget year, was to make himself eligible for the OHL Draft (there was some uncertainty that he was).

Galchenyuk was born in Milwaukee, WI, and is a dual USA/ Russia citizen.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I was rewatching the 1995 Draft and I had forgotten that Brian Boucher, from Rhode Island, played in the WHL. As best as I can surmise, he must've gone undrafted in the QMJHL and then was free to go to the WHL?

https://www.tri-cityherald.com/sports/other-sports/tri-city-americans/article48927430.html

Boucher got his big break in hockey in the winter of 1994. He was playing Tier II hockey in Toronto when he heard Tri-City needed a goalie. Then-Americans general manager Dennis Beyak made a great pitch.

“In two months, I went from Rhode Island to Toronto to Washington,” Boucher said. “It was crazy. I really wanted to play college hockey — that’s where my heart was at. But I couldn’t get a commitment right away. Schools that were interested in me had older goalies, and I would have gotten to play five or six games a year until I was a senior. Tri-City needed a goalie, and they had a good school package to offer.”

Boucher had drawn interest from Michigan State, Providence, Brown and Cornell. The NHL Central Scouting Bureau thought highly of him, pegging him for a second-round pick in the 1995 draft. He knew if he wanted to be a high draft pick, he needed to play.

He arrived in the Tri-Cities in mid-November 1994. He sat for three weeks before he played. Coach Bob Loucks apparently liked what he saw from the 17-year-old. Boucher played 35 games that season and earned the starting job in the playoffs.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think location is also a factor.

American kids would much rather go play in Ontario or even Western Canada than Quebec. American kids don't speak French, unless they choose to learn it in school, and the culture in Quebec is less similar to what these kids experience in the USA than Ontario or Western Canada.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I think location is also a factor.

American kids would much rather go play in Ontario or even Western Canada than Quebec. American kids don't speak French, unless they choose to learn it in school, and the culture in Quebec is less similar to what these kids experience in the USA than Ontario or Western Canada.

The OHL has by far the least travel as well. Most teenagers don't want to live on a greyhound.

OHL-Map-Complete.png

qmjhl-map-complete.png

2019-WHL-Map.png

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
How so? The New England and Massachusetts districts are two of the strongest in the USA.

At the time the agreement was reached the Q the deal was probably more fair as Massachusetts and New England probably rivaled Michigan/NY and Minnesota as the top hotbeds for American hockey. The explosion of the game on the west coast plus places like St. Louis and the Atlantic Coast has probably given the other two leagues more of an advantage.

The situation probably needs to be addressed but the solution is not an easy one.

Possibly dividing NY in some way?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
At the time the agreement was reached the Q the deal was probably more fair as Massachusetts and New England probably rivaled Michigan/NY and Minnesota as the top hotbeds for American hockey. The explosion of the game on the west coast plus places like St. Louis and the Atlantic Coast has probably given the other two leagues more of an advantage.

The situation probably needs to be addressed but the solution is not an easy one.

Possibly dividing NY in some way?

I don't think it's something that can be fixed, really. As mentioned previously, most American prospects are probably not big on going to live in a non-English environment for junior hockey, so it's always gonna be harder for the Q to recruit in the US.

And if they do come, it's not going to be to go to Baie-Comeau or Val-d'Or. They would all go to Maritimes teams or bigger Quebec markets, giving an unfair advantage to those teams. So I'm not sure it leaves the league much better off.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Looking at that OHL map it's always surprised me there hasn't been any teams located in upstate NY. Somewhere in the Buffalo area, or Rochester/ Syracuse. Even up in Watertown even. Would fill in the gap down to Erie. Maybe it's the AHL/ NCAA teams, but that doesn't stop Michigan based teams, and the Upstate NY schools aren't as big time as some of those Michigan schools.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Looking t it more i guess it makes sense. Buffalo has the Sabres. and Niagara/ Cansius (NCAA). Rochester has the Americans (AHL) and RIT (NCAA). Syracuse has the Crunch (AHL). Ithica has Cornell (NCAA). Utica has the Comets (AHL). Binghamton has the Devils (AHL). St. Lawrence and Clarkson (NCAA) are big up in Potsdam/ Canton Area. Watertown doesnt really have a team but also is not a huge place. Still would think the Buffalo area could find a spot.

I'm way off topic but on the Territorial draft there's really no way to fix it. QMJHL will always have a big disadvantage no matter what. It used to be just the OHL having a big advantage, but like the poster above said the WHL is getting more and more quality kids with the West Coast picking up. Even if you made one streamlined American draft for all three leagues to take part in, the Q will always be disadvantaged in getting kids to report.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
The Q is the last option for any top New England recruits for the reasons mentioned - language barrier, travel, etc. The huge factor in the New England region is college hockey is so strong that its the destination of any top level player. If your kid is an awful student and has zero educational aspirations and wants to put all his eggs into one basket and hope it pays off then go for it. Otherwise New England players avoid the Q. It used to have some lustre but that's long gone.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
One thing I've thought about in the past is expanding territorial rights to smaller hockey nations in Europe, and it should be the NHL paying for it. Think about it. If the NHL wants to expand their talent pool they need to invest in training in countries such as Ukraine, France, England, Latvia, Danemark, Norway, Japan, etc. One way to do it so to allow CHL teams to lure top players from these countries.

There isnt enough top talent that it would steer the balance of the leagues one way or the other, but it would be fun to get a couple of solid players to report here and there. And I'm thinking every team could have one extra foreign player using those new countries that don't count among their imports. Could be fun and exciting and eventually these countries could produce enough talent that it would upgrade the CHL in terms of skills too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad