CHL Territorial Rights

HaughNasty

Jul 25, 2011
Do they have one? If so who get's what province (some of them are more obvious than others) and do they have any effect on American prospects (like does the New England Area play in Q the NY-PA are in the OHL etc.)?

Sorry I am not really sure about how that works. Thanks.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
WHL
Canada: British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba.
USA: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wyoming

OHL
Canada: Ontario
USA: Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin

QMJHL
Canada: Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador.
USA: New England (Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island)

Reactions: Dominance

HaughNasty

Jul 25, 2011
Ok thank you very much. Do you have a source by any chance? Not questioning you I am just interested.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
For the Canadian territories and the Q's american territories, the source is me.

For the rest, I took it from another thread on HF.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
WHL
Canada: British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba.
USA: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wyoming

OHL
Canada: Ontario
USA: Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin

QMJHL
Canada: Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador.
USA: New England (Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island)

Who gets the Territories?

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I'd think them, Nunavut, and Yukon would theoretically be in WHL.
They are listed some places and not listed in other places, but the Northwest Territories and the Yukon Territory are in WHL's territory:

The WHL’s 22 Member Clubs are located throughout Western Canada and the Pacific Northwest region of the U.S. Players who reside in the Western Canadian provinces of Alberta, B.C., Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories, Yukon, and the Western U.S. states of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wyoming are within the protected territory designated to the WHL by the Canadian Hockey League (CHL).
http://www.whl.ca/page/prospects-central-faq-s

If you look on other pages on the WHL site, you'll notice they aren't listed, but that's probably due to the fact that players hardly come from there.

Not sure about Nunavut though..

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
They are listed some places and not listed in other places, but the Northwest Territories and the Yukon Territory are in WHL's territory:

http://www.whl.ca/page/prospects-central-faq-s

If you look on other pages on the WHL site, you'll notice they aren't listed, but that's probably due to the fact that players hardly come from there.

Not sure about Nunavut though..

Like a superstar is gonna come out of Nunavut :laugh:
But you never know

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Always wondered, is the Province/State the player is born in? Or where they live? What if the kid moves or has divorced parents in different Provinces/States?

I just wonder if kids could use that to manipulate the system.

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
Always wondered, is the Province/State the player is born in? Or where they live? What if the kid moves or has divorced parents in different Provinces/States?

Yeah I dunno, Stefan Noeson 1st round pick of the Sens is from Texas but plays in the OHL because he lives in Michigan. I'm assuming it's where you are living when drafted? I know Claude Giroux played in the Q but is from Ontario. But I think that's because he was passed on I'm not sure though.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Yeah I dunno, Stefan Noeson 1st round pick of the Sens is from Texas but plays in the OHL because he lives in Michigan. I'm assuming it's where you are living when drafted? I know Claude Giroux played in the Q but is from Ontario. But I think that's because he was passed on I'm not sure though.

He was passed on twice in the OHL draft so he became a free agent.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

That's a good question. I know it's place where they live but it's a bit complicated to understand.

Galchenyuk was considered as an American and not an Import because he has american nationality. I think even if he lived in Russia at the time of his draft he would have not been considered as an Import.

backdoorpass

certain amount of year of where lived, noesen lived in michigan for two years at least so there for he becomes part of ohl, on the import thing, because he was born in states and citizenship he is not an import

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Players from Newfoundland always had the option to play where they wanted until St. John's got a q team a few years ago. Since then All players from Newfoundland must play in the qmjhl.

My question is, how do players switch leagues. For example there are two goalies that played in the qmjhl last year that were in the ohl the previous year? What are the rules around this?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
My question is, how do players switch leagues. For example there are two goalies that played in the qmjhl last year that were in the ohl the previous year? What are the rules around this?

I believe the player has to clear waivers in his original league and then he can go to another league. That is how the Sea Dogs got WHL goalie Jacob De Serres.

Reactions: IHaveNoCreativity

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
That's a good question. I know it's place where they live but it's a bit complicated to understand.

Galchenyuk was considered as an American and not an Import because he has american nationality. I think even if he lived in Russia at the time of his draft he would have not been considered as an Import.

Pretty sure it's this. Hence why Taylor Hall was born in Alberta, but raised in Ontario.

As for Galchenyuk, I'd be interested in learning the rule around that. Because I was under the impression that reason he left Russia to come over to play for the Chicago Young Americans during his minor midget year, was to make himself eligible for the OHL Draft (there was some uncertainty that he was).

A little off topic, but does anyone know if Philip Samuelsson was eligible for the import draft, or if he was drafted into the WHL? He, and his brother have duel-citizenships as far as I'm aware.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
certain amount of year of where lived, noesen lived in michigan for two years at least so there for he becomes part of ohl, on the import thing, because he was born in states and citizenship he is not an import

Its wherever the parents permanent address is...Example Rocco Grimaldi played midget hockey in Michigan as a 15 year old...But since his parents permanent address was in California he wasn't eligible for the OHL Draft and his territorial rights belonged in the WHL where Vancouver picked them up and were later traded to Portland.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
He was passed on twice in the OHL draft so he became a free agent.

Realize this post is older. But after the recent OHL Draft I saw that Sarnia had selected Keegan McArthur. McArthur is listed as being from Dallas and played for the Dallas Stars U15 team. How was he eligible to play in the OHL and not the WHL?

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Realize this post is older. But after the recent OHL Draft I saw that Sarnia had selected Keegan McArthur. McArthur is listed as being from Dallas and played for the Dallas Stars U15 team. How was he eligible to play in the OHL and not the WHL?
My guess is since the W drafts at 14 that Keegan went undrafted and was then eligible for the O draft. But I have no idea.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Its wherever the parents permanent address is...Example Rocco Grimaldi played midget hockey in Michigan as a 15 year old...But since his parents permanent address was in California he wasn't eligible for the OHL Draft and his territorial rights belonged in the WHL where Vancouver picked them up and were later traded to Portland.

I think it's for 2 years prior to the draft as well. Si it must be your permanent residence since at least 13 in the case of the WHL and since 14 for the case of the other two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad