GDT: CHL NHL prospects game (Jan 25 9:30PM EST TSN3)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You are underrating both terribly sir.

I'm not at all. Dvorsky has had plenty of opportunities on different stages to show he has more to his offensive ability than his shot and he has not shown it.

I've got no interest in passing on players with higher IQ, puck skills and playmaking ability for a guy who simply will be limited offensively in the NHL.

Great support player with an inside game. But we need another game breaker and Dvorsky doesn't have a game breaker profile.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I'm not saying he's only size.. just in terms of his offensive ability and tools, they are a clear tier below the guys above.. so you'd be sacrificing higher offensive upside just to pick a bigger player.

I'd be mad at that.

All of the guys I listed above are better shooters, puck handlers, and playmakers than Dvorsky.
Most of what we've seen from Dvorsky has been against older kids (or men) and he hasn't had the greatest opportunities to play an offensive role and show his stuff. He may have had the toughest assignment of all 17 year olds in the recent WJC. He was playing center against other teams top lines at age 17. He ate Canada's top centers up for breakfast in the face-off dot in the QF game.

Keep in mind he had 12 points in 5 games at the 2021 Hlinka-Gretzky tourney when he was only 16 years old. I know he had Slaf on his line but that's still quite a feat.

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Most of what we've seen from Dvorsky has been against older kids and he hasn't had the greatest opportunities to play an offensive role and show his stuff. He may have had the toughest assignment of all 17 year olds in the recent WJC. He was playing center against other teams top lines at age 17. He ate Canada's top centers up for breakfast in the face-off dot in the QF game.

Keep in mind he had 12 points in 5 games at the 2021 Hlinka-Gretzky tourney when he was only 16 years old. I know he had Slaf on his line but that's still quite a feat.
Not to mention he has been on fire lately in his men league. Dvorsky's biggest challenge this year was to play a strong effective 200 ft. game against men, he had to contain older players down low and wasnt quite physically ready to do it nightly. This is a kid who doesnt cheat as a center and takes alot of pride at playing a solid 2-way game. I havent watched him since the WJC, but his stats suggest that he is coming along.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I'm not at all. Dvorsky has had plenty of opportunities on different stages to show he has more to his offensive ability than his shot and he has not shown it.

I've got no interest in passing on players with higher IQ, puck skills and playmaking ability for a guy who simply will be limited offensively in the NHL.

Great support player with an inside game. But we need another game breaker and Dvorsky doesn't have a game breaker profile.
Both Dvorsky and Moore are more likely to reach their celling than the guys you listed, your guys comes with flaws and questionable translatable tools. Smith's flaws were pointed out in the video posted some days ago, Benson's size and lack of explosiveness makes him less attractive for me as a Habs fan, Yager has shown some IQ defficiencies and a lack of dominance so far this season. Salé is a softie, how his game translate to N.A. hockey remains a legit question mark.

Its wide open after 4, we all have our favorites, but there is no doubt that guys like Reinbacher, Dvorsky, Moore are in the mix.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Both Dvorsky and Moore are more likely to reach their celling than the guys you listed, your guys comes with flaws and questionable translatable tools. Smith's flaws were pointed out in the video posted some days ago, Benson's size and lack of explosiveness makes him less attractive for me as a Habs fan, Yager has shown some IQ defficiencies and a lack of dominance so far this season. Salé is a softie, how his game translate to N.A. hockey remains a legit question mark.

Its wide open after 4, we all have our favorites, but there is no doubt that guys like Reinbacher, Dvorsky, Moore are in the mix.

We don't need guys with 2nd line ceilings, though.

I'd rather miss swinging on the high ceilings then grab a guy like Dvorsky who I'm not sure is going to be even better than Beck.

Moore is fun and he could break out if he learns that he doesn't need to skate as fast as possible every time. But he is still a level below skill wise.

We should easily be in a position to take a upside swing with our pick and then grab a higher floor guy after.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
We don't need guys with 2nd line ceilings, though.

I'd rather miss swinging on the high ceilings then grab a guy like Dvorsky who I'm not sure is going to be even better than Beck.

Moore is fun and he could break out if he learns that he doesn't need to skate as fast as possible every time. But he is still a level below skill wise.

We should easily be in a position to take a upside swing with our pick and then grab a higher floor guy after.

Yeah, I think you are under-evaluating Dvorsky. He has a whole lot more offensive ability than Beck in him.

As a playmaker and puck controller he can lead the power play.
As a shooter, he has a good one-timer and wrist shot.
2 skills where he's elite vs. Beck now, and against Beck, at the same age it's no contest.

What's not there right now and makes him seem less impressive than others, is the combination of skating/dynamic counter-attack - but that's him growing 3 inches, 30 pounds in the last year. The guy is very much a teenager so you have to look at his 15-16 years old season vs. comparables a bit more than others for those aspects (he's growing, everything hurts, lower energy). But while all of this is happening, he's controlling the whole play against men or at the WJC, in a somewhat "no you shouldn't be able to do that at 17, yet" fashion. Bedard has not shown that 2-way ability yet (not that it matters for him, my point is the best player in the draft is way behind on that aspect) - it's unique to Dvorsky in the whole draft. I hope they send him to the U18 (I have my doubts they will).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad