Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread | Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Not for nothing but that was a cheese hit to. I guess you have to like the mind set of making guys pay around the net, I'm sure Dano would love it, but you can't be clobbering guys who don't have the puck.

Cheese hit? Not sure what you mean by that but there is nothing cheesy about clearing the crease and sending messages and he did have the puck.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Any reasoning as to why you think he won't stay?

Not for nothing but that was a cheese hit to. I guess you have to like the mind set of making guys pay around the net, I'm sure Dano would love it, but you can't be clobbering guys who don't have the puck.

The forward was on the edge of the crease in the act of shooting the puck???

Yeah, you hit that player, if you can, every single time.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We have 4/5 players averaging over a point per game in both the CHL and NCAA...Speers is so close but just a hair under.

Kind of interesting to see Kerfoot with the highest Points point per game in this group of players.

Alexander Kerfoot 28 points in 22 games 1.272 PPG - NCAA

John Quenneville 49 points in 39 games 1.256 PPG - WHL

Pavel Zacha 47 points 39 games 1.2 PPG - OHL

Miles Wood 26 points in 25 games 1.04 PPG - NCAA

Blake Speers 50 points 51 games .980 PPG - OHL

Brett Seney 18 points 21 games .857 PPG - NCAA

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Definitely a successful season thus far for our forward prospects.

Speers is particularly impressive. While his PPG went down this year, he is playing on a much less stacked team this season.

SSM 14-15 GPG: 5.0
SSM 15-16 GPG: 3.4

Speers 14-15 PPG: 1.18
Speers 15-16 PPG: 0.98

Speers PPG/SSM GPG 14-15: 0.23
Speers PPG/SSM GPG 15-16: 0.29

Would like to see that last ratio trend more into the mid 0.30's range, but I suspect he's definitely improved more than his basic numbers indicate.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I really like our picks from last years draft. After the obvious guys, Speers is the one I'd bet on making it to the NHL. But even after that Seney and White are both interesting prospects.

Suspensions aside I've been incredibly impressed by Blackwood. For such a big guy his movements are so silky smooth. I truly think we have a future starter in the guy and whether that means he'll be Schneider's successor or a good trade chip is up in the air but both are pretty good options depending on our needs.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Cheese hit? Not sure what you mean by that but there is nothing cheesy about clearing the crease and sending messages and he did have the puck.

The forward was on the edge of the crease in the act of shooting the puck???

Yeah, you hit that player, if you can, every single time.

Had the puck? in the act of shooting? Are we watching the same clip?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
He does not have the puck. Speed of the clip is not a factor.

That's a good hit in 1985.

He doesn't have the puck because he JUST shot it! Like what!?!?!?! A hit is late if it's more than 0.6 seconds after the puck leaves the opposing player's stick. There is no way in hell that hit is late.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He doesn't have the puck because he JUST shot it! Like what!?!?!?! A hit is late if it's more than 0.6 seconds after the puck leaves the opposing player's stick. There is no way in hell that hit is late.

That's the thing...it's hard to tell how long it was BECAUSE it's in slow motion. If I was betting I don't think that's interference and I've certainly seen far more egregious cases than that in any case.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
how about this santini hit btw

It's too bad they didn't show the extended highlight. If I recall correctly. Santini hits Jimmy Vesey who slides into a BC defender and both guys slide into goalie Thatcher Demko causing him to lose his stick. Harvard scored ~10 seconds later. Maybe somebody has the whole sequence, preferably with Benny Hill music?

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Looking at Button's list and lol. Also I'm sure that Jacobs will be a solid player but we could have had Dvorak :(

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Looking at Button's list and lol. Also I'm sure that Jacobs will be a solid player but we could have had Dvorak :(

Kudos to the Coyotes on that pick. Dvorak was hurt most of his draft year and only put up 14 points in 33 games. I vaguely recall Dvorak having some hype heading into that season, so maybe they took a gamble that he'd regain his form.

And just for funsies, here's Button's list from December 2012: http://i.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9601

It's not a bad list, although it's amusing now that he had Justin Schultz #1.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Don't think he is high on Zacha, he had him at something like 24th in his final pre-draft rankings.

I remember him heaping praise on Zacha and being negative on Hanifin right before the draft.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Meh, Button's never been high on Zacha anyway and while I'm happy with his play this season he's not exactly blowing the league up. But Blackwood is literally beating Nedeljkovic in every single stat this season and he's unranked compared to AN's #39 placement. I don't know man, Button-world must be a fantastic place to reside :laugh:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Part of me feels bad for Button, but I suppose criticism comes with the territory. While I'm sure he's seen more of the prospects than us, I'm curious how much of them he can really see on a regular basis. He's juggling a studio gig while watching prospects on the weekends. As I understand it, he still lives in Calgary so I'm not sure how often he could see an AHL game.

He was over in Finland for the World Juniors, so going off that maybe the freshest memory was of Nedeljkovic having a decent tournament for the US while Blackwood faultered for Canada. The Hockey News has a prospect ranking issue every Spring and it usually has a WJC bias to it.

It would be a fun exercise to make a top 50 list, email it yourself, and then check back 3-5 years later.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Blackwood not off to a good start, just gave up a goal on a two-on-one.
3-0 Hamilton over Barrie in the first 4 minutes...Blackwood's stopped 7/10 shots

EDIT: Sweet Mama, 6 goals allowed for Blackwood, 17/23 saves through 2 period

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad