Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread | Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Whatever.

This is a Devils message board and we talk about prospects, draft picks and who we want to draft/sign or trade for.

It would be way different if I cherry picked and said we should have drafted him, but, as I noted, I wanted us to draft Pesce prior to that draft.
I saw a lot of potential in him at that time and he's looked darn good so far in Carolina.

I also just said that I have high hopes for Santini, I think he will be a solid d-man.

It will be interesting to see if one has a much better career.

I'm not sure why some of our fans defend Conte to such great lengths.

But all it seems like you want do is talk about who we DON'T HAVE or could have had. It gets tiresome bro.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
But all it seems like you want do is talk about who we DON'T HAVE or could have had. It gets tiresome bro.

I hear you that my post could be misconstrued but I honestly did want us to draft Pesce in 2013 and talked about it on HF.

I have toned down the anti-Conte sentiment due to feedback I received.

My intent here was not to bash Conte but to point out Pesce's development and Santini is the player we chose to draft instead of him.

We will find out at some point whether or not Conte & his scouts made the wise choice.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Can't we all just enjoy the fact our prospect pool is bullish for the first time in years without getting into past first guessing?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Can't we all just enjoy the fact our prospect pool is bullish for the first time in years without getting into past first guessing?

Nope :) I told everyone this prospect pool was going to serve us well last year...

Told you so. Told you so. Told you so. :razz:

Just kidding.

But seriously, I understand no fruit has come to bare yet, but there seems to be a large chasm to what we are seeing today and what the hordes were claiming last year ("worst prospect pool in the league") - - Not really seeing those claims anymore.

And I do find it beyond hilarious that one single good night from Zacha could completely put an end to and Barzal talk. It was like a switch was flipped. I am enjoying that too.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Nope :) I told everyone this prospect pool was going to serve us well last year...

Told you so. Told you so. Told you so. :razz:

Just kidding.

But seriously, I understand no fruit has come to bare yet, but there seems to be a large chasm to what we are seeing today and what the hordes were claiming last year ("worst prospect pool in the league") - - Not really seeing those claims anymore.

And I do find it beyond hilarious that one single good night from Zacha could completely put an end to and Barzal talk. It was like a switch was flipped. I am enjoying that too.

Proclaiming victory today is just as dumb. You can put an end to the Barzal talk in 5+ years, one five point night hasn't put anything to bed.

You're using the same method to belittle anyone on the other side of the debate that you're poking fun at. You recognize that, right?

Oh, and noted on your "nothing has come to bare" comment. I could have stopped reading there, I think.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Zacha, Blackwood and Blandisi have a LOT to do with the perception of an improved farm system though, two guys picked in the summer and one signed in the late spring, that needs to be pointed out. And I never felt or see the need to constantly point out when I'm right personally anyway, although it's nice to be right when it's something team related that's positive.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Zacha, Blackwood and Blandisi have a LOT to do with the perception of an improved farm system though, two guys picked in the summer and one signed in the late spring, that needs to be pointed out. And I never felt or see the need to constantly point out when I'm right personally anyway, although it's nice to be right when it's something team related that's positive.

Blandisi was signed last December if I remember correctly? The Announcement was in January but I remember Blandisi telling the story about his visit with Lou at the Rock in December during the break.

Last edited by a moderator:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Is it just my sense of humor doesn't come through in the type word?

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

Beyond that, it's buffeted by a guy like Quenneville finally managing a point a game in his draft+2 year on a stacked Brandon team.

The jury is very much still out, albeit with the needle looking rosier than it has for a while. Nothing to sneeze at, but also no reason to buy a bottle of Cristal either.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Beyond that, it's buffetted by a guy like Quenneville finally managing a point a game in his overage year on a stacked Brandon team. If Jim were the oracle, Graham Black would be on our first line right now.

The jury is very much still out, albeit with the needle looking rosier than it has for a while.

Now that is utterly ridiculous. Graham Black and Ben Thomson (they still are) have always been in my group of "maybes" -- The group that if 1 player comes out of you're doing well.

And that is how I have always looked at it, if we can produce 2 or3 NHL players(forwards) out the existing group we'd be in good shape. That existing group being Quenneville, Boucher, Wood, Coleman, Black, Pietila, Thomson, Kujawinski and even Paul Thompson...I didn't who Lorito was last year until the end of the season but to me he would be in a group with Pietila, Black, Thomson, Kujawinski...I always considered Boucher, Quenneville, Wood and Coleman in a different category.

My point was always that we had NHL contributors in our group and that it didn't matter if they were only bottom 6 players.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Now that is utterly ridiculous. Graham Black and Ben Thomson (they still are) have always been in my group of "maybes" -- The group that if 1 player comes out of you're doing well.

And that is how I have always looked at it, if we can produce 2 or3 NHL players(forwards) out the existing group we'd be in good shape. That existing group being Quenneville, Boucher, Wood, Coleman, Black, Pietila, Thomson, Kujawinski and even Paul Thompson...I didn't who Lorito was last year until the end of the season but to me he would be in a group with Pietila, Black, Thomson, Kujawinski...I always considered Boucher, Quenneville, Wood and Coleman in a different category.

My point was always that we had NHL contributors in our group and that it didn't matter if they were only bottom 6 players.

You're so gung ho about the "miniscule" difference in goaltending, it's interesting that you take this position when it comes to the prospect pool.

You can always find a Bernier, Stempniak, Kennedy, etc. for almost nothing. It's pretty obvious that's not where our need lies.

Clearly, that's where our assesments diverge. I agree, there are more than likely NHL players there. I just don't see that tipping the scales to contending. We need to be hitting on guys with upside and right now that's Zacha, Wood, maybe a Speers. The last draft was a good start. Someone like Blandisi is a bonus.

We need more Seneys in the late rounds and less Thomsons.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
My thought is we haven't even been producing the Bernier's, Stempniak's or Kennedy's and even though they're run of the mill, we need to produced those players to be able to have cheap forwards at the ready, not have to sign the garbage that we have been and have potential trading chips....that is exactly what Halischuk was.

And quite frankly I don't understand this concept that if it is not an impact player it doesn't count. I want lot and lots of NHL players because I believe the Devils organization will be stronger by producing 10 Stempniak's than 1 Pairse. I like when the Devils used to flip the Ben Hankinson's of the world for an immediate need. We haven't had anything to do that with.

We are coming from a position of producing nothing for a few years to having a ton of potential assets including our defensemen. The last 5 years have been good and the cupboards have been restocked. We have a gap from the previous drought but that shouldn't discount the good work and the good players that have been added.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
My thought is we haven't even been producing the Bernier's, Stempniak's or Kennedy's and even though they're run of the mill, we need to produced those players to be able to have cheap forwards at the ready, not have to sign the garbage that we have been and have potential trading chips....that is exactly what Halischuk was.

And quite frankly I don't understand this concept that if it is not an impact player it doesn't count. I want lot and lots of NHL players because I believe the Devils organization will be stronger by producing 10 Stempniak's than 1 Pairse. I like when the Devils used to flip the Ben Hankinson's of the world for an immediate need. We haven't had anything to do that with.

We are coming from a position of producing nothing for a few years to having a ton of potential assets including our defensemen. The last 5 years have been good and the cupboards have been restocked. We have a gap from the previous drought but that shouldn't discount the good work and the good players that have been added.

The cupboard is not restocked, not at all. The Devils have no organizational depth on RW - they have Speers, who looks okay, and Chatham, who looks like he's not okay, and that is it. Their depth on defense is not good either. They are also deficient at center. Zacha may end up at center, but wherever he ends up, the other position is going to be lacking.

The good news is that there's a good number of young D on the NHL team and left wing looks relatively strong, with it being somewhat likely that NJ gets something out of Boucher, Wood, Blandisi, Quenneville, Coleman, or Pietila at that position - the latter 4 could possibly be centers, but that's always a question mark as a player moves up in levels. Zacha's probably a C/LW and his season is going all right. But the cupboard is quite far from restocked, and there's a very good chance that they have zero first line players/first line defensemen not currently playing in the NHL.

Also goalie looks pretty good for the time being - if Appleby continues playing well and Blackwood too, NJ can hold off on drafting a goalie for several years.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Its very difficult to say who is a winger and who is a center at this stage of anyone's career.

I mean Zacha Blandisi, Quenneville, Coleman, Kujawinski, and Pietila all were drafted as centers all have played wing as well. Parise, Elias and Sykora were drafted as centers all made their living on the wing

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
BC won 5-1. Wood with 1G, 1A, and named first star of the night.

Dudek/Santini left off the scoresheet.

I'm tempering my expectations with regards to Wood, but this production and play is really exciting me.

Seems like every night he is one of the three stars of the game.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Miles Wood looks to be developing into an elite winger. He is out performing Chris Kreider without having any college experience, plus he is physical. He is on pace for 22 goals and 37 assists for 59 points in 44 games.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Anyone know why Hobey Baker winner David Emma never stuck with the Devils?

He put up huge nums at BC and also had very good AHL production.

He also played well on NJ in his brief stint here.

What happened to him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad