Chicago wins draft lottery, picks #1

Bucket

Nov 26, 2006
Canada
I'll be happy if the Oilers get Alzner. Then our D prospect pool would be awesome, especially with guys like Gilbert and Chorney already.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
In my personal opinion, The habs are going to work their ***** off to find a new home for Kovalev in the next two months. Unfortunately for the Habs, he costs too much (4.5 million), so if they were to pull off a draft day deal for one of the top 5 picks, they'd have to find someone who's in love with him. I still think he's an extremely talented player but simply doesn't fit in the habs system. I suppose that for teams that are way under the cap and looking for a boost in the standings (he can only help teams like the (kings, blackhawks, coyotes) the habs would surely package Kovalev and one of their picks for a top 5 pick... Its really just a question of any GM taking a chance on him.

At this point, you'd have to throw something extra in to have someone take AK's contract off your books. I don't think think he has any value whatsoever at this point in time. He certainly wouldn't come anywhere close to get you moving up into the top 4 of this years draft.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
they're a rebuilding team that has an opportunity to add a significant piece to the puzzle, and can't afford to blow it IMO on a "project player" or a "boom or bust" player. this risk is just too high for the situation that the team is in right now. IMO they need a safer pick. kane/turris/voracek fits the bill.

Of those three, I view Voracek as the safest, but also with the lowest upside.

Hawkhead

Jun 5, 2004
Canada
www.kiekko.tk
If the Blackhawks makes a screwy pick (as they've proven themselves prone to doing), the Flyers will probably still be able to get the player they want.

No offense but that was the 90s. In the past years we have drafted well

Seabrook was a hell of a pick and the steal of the 1st round

Barker good

Skille looks so far so good

Toews amazing

X-SHARKIE

Of those three, I view Voracek as the safest, but also with the lowest upside.

Voracek's upside is just fine. I think he could develop into a Milan Michalek type. He might not be as good as quickly but the upside is there. But I see your point Kane and Turris have more upside.

That said I think the Hawks need to bring skill into the organization and would be foolish not to take Patrick Kane now.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Voracek's upside is just fine. I think he could develop into a Milan Michalek type. He might not be as good as quickly but the upside is there. But I see your point Kane and Turris have more upside.

That said I think the Hawks need to bring skill into the organization and would be foolish not to take Patrick Kane now.

I'm certainly not trying to say Voracek doesn't have upside, and in fact, I'd say his is higher than Michalek's. I just don't think he has the same upside as Kane and Turris, on which we seem to agree. I think all three players are about a year or two from making an impact in the NHL, but Kane and Turris seem more explosive now and in the future.

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
After watching the ISS video on Alzner a few times, I have officially jumped on the "Kings take Alzner with the #4 pick" bandwagon. He looks like a solid d-man.

Of course, this is if Turris is taken by #4, which I very much believe he will be.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
i don't think alzner will be passed on by LA if he's there at #4, seems like a no brainer pick for lombardi. he has been harping on the lack of d prospects in the kings system all season.

Little_Stitsy

Apr 8, 2007
At this point, you'd have to throw something extra in to have someone take AK's contract off your books. I don't think think he has any value whatsoever at this point in time. He certainly wouldn't come anywhere close to get you moving up into the top 4 of this years draft.

I dont think Gainey would give away much more. Honestly, i think we're probably stuck with Kovalev for another year. Gainey has too much pride to just give away players--he managed to pull off one of the best salary dump trades in recent memory with Theodore last year. If the same thing happens this time around we're going to have take on salary. Maybe (big maybe) someone like Martin Lapointe could fit the bill. I'd go off on a limb and say Lapointe's been a disappointment with Chicago. He's going to get paid somewhere in the the range of 2.5 mil this season. Forget the draft and trading up for the time being, wouldn't Chicago take a risk on Kovalev, a player who will no longer be in the montreal limelight, and won't be labeled as the most talented player on his team? I honestly think that Chicago, for only a 2 mil blow to their cap, would be dumb not to. For the Habs, they get a guy who fits their system perfectly--a hardnosed forechecker who can still put the puck in the net. I think to say that Kovalev is washed up is ridiculous. I watched him skate around players like pylons all season long. I watched every Hab game this season and no one on the team can match his overall skill, especially on the half-boards during PP. I know that he underacheived but he also was stuck playing with Samsonov for most of the season, and that killed his overall production. Let's face facts, Kovalev had 65 pts in 69 games last year. Believe what you want, but he didn't suddenly over the span of one year become a worse player. Bottom line, he needs a change of scenery and less pressure from the media, and thats just what he would get in Chicago.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i really liked the viedo of vam riemsdyk. doesnt look like there is any holes in he's game.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Ha, I noticed that too.....he took the puck carrier but then I was thinking that maybe he thought his teammate getting back in the play was going to take the open man. Who knows...

yeah maybe. it wasnt to imortant anyway. the prospect game is pretty much just for show.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com

I usually agree with you, but not on this one IMO, after seeing Voracek many times this year, and Kane a few times...I have seen Turris maybe about 3 times only this year, I would say Voracek is pretty damn good, his offensive upside is above Michalek, his vision and controll of the play is at the top of the draft, and his playmaking and passing skills are also at the top of the draft. Im still not sold on Turris...I have seen him and to me he is doing well against Jr. A players, but he is still weak imo, he has developed some bad habbits with the puck at times I found...I know they can both be fixed, but to dominate Jr. A hockey and to be what Kane and Voracek where in the CHL this year is two totally different things. I think Voraceks talent is a little down played on this site right now...but that is good though, I like when people don't have to high of expectations for someone and they come back to show what they can do.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
yeah maybe. it wasnt to imortant anyway. the prospect game is pretty much just for show.

Yeah, that's what I was going to mention as well. He didn't take the trailer because he was only like two feet away from the puck carrier.

Yes, it's common practice for the defensemen to leave the shooter for the goalie, but Alzner was right there, and the play really developed at almost the blueline.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00