Chicago @ Ottawa | Hossa comes home for 1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Argument is pointless. Some believe the trade was good. Some believe it wasn't.
I just don't think saying "well it was good at the time" is a good point. Hindsight is how deals are measured.
Of it was as simple as Hossa and heatley okay I see it brought us immediate success kinda (although I think Hossa brings us the same success) but I truly believe it costed us chara as well.

For the two years prior to the unforeseeable happening, it gave us monetary flexibility with a cost savings of 1.5 mil plus the difference between De'Vries and whoever you want to count as his replacement and a player most considered on par or better at the time who was young and improving (or so we thought).

If you're complaint is it pissed of Chara, fine, but it's not like we couldn't have picked Chara over Redden. We could have given into his contract demands, and not signed Redden, but we went the other way. Chara didn't demand a trade, he didn't refuse to negotiate, he just didn't come to terms with the team (and may have refused to sign at a discount because Muckler is a ******).

The cost savings set us up as well as could be hoped going into negotiations with Chara and Havlat. If we hadn't done that trade, we still may have had to chose between Redden and Chara due to finances and still likely make the same wrong choice.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
For the two years prior to the unforeseeable happening, it gave us monetary flexibility with a cost savings of 1.5 mil plus the difference between De'Vries and whoever you want to count as his replacement and a player most considered on par or better at the time who was young and improving (or so we thought).

If you're complaint is it pissed of Chara, fine, but it's not like we couldn't have picked Chara over Redden. We could have given into his contract demands, and not signed Redden, but we went the other way. Chara didn't demand a trade, he didn't refuse to negotiate, he just didn't come to terms with the team (and may have refused to sign at a discount because Muckler is a ******).

The cost savings set us up as well as could be hoped going into negotiations with Chara and Havlat. If we hadn't done that trade, we still may have had to chose between Redden and Chara due to finances and still likely make the same wrong choice.
We didn't sign havlat anyway. He was asking for money that he was not worth.

I was indifferent to him leaving so I don't remember how that went down in the end. I know he was asking for too much. Which lead to am narrating trade. Although Hennessy is dominant in NHL 08

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We didn't sign havlat anyway. He was asking for money that he was not worth.

I was indifferent to him leaving so I don't remember how that went down in the end. I know he was asking for too much. Which lead to am narrating trade. Although Hennessy is dominant in NHL 08

I guess the point I'm trying to make is there were lots of good solid hockey reasons and resource management reasons for making that trade. Obviously it didn't work out long term (though it was just fine, even fantastic short term) but most of the problems with that trade were not really foreseeable. I don't like how it went down, and possible the final motivation for pulling the trigger, but it was and still is a defensible move looking at all the circumstances.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
You went to st petes too?

In my grade 12 year book I see ceci in grade 7 lol such a nerdy looking kid.

Ha yeah, I never really knew him since he was younger than me but I did know of him during his high school days, could share the few stories I know but wouldn't want to be banned from the sens board lol. I did have a few classes with his sister though, I'm sure sens nation would like her more ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad