Friedman: Chicago looking for winger to play with Toews

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
There are two players that seem like perfect fits to me, Tatar or Nash. I doubt the Hawks could get either done because you would need to move Seabrook.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Ok thanks.

Would the Oilers move Eberle for Seabrook? Something tells me the wouldn't but they do need D.

I dunno. Anyone who says they know for sure what is in PC's brain is a liar. :laugh:

Personally, I think they would in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the expansion draft. I think Chiarelli wants to go 7/3/1 rather than 4/4/1. If we go 4/4/1 then we likely lose Maroon or Letestu and those guys are proving to be valuable keys to us turning it around.

But again, I could be wrong, Chiarelli plays his cards close to his chest.

HawkeyFanatic

Dec 15, 2007
N/A
I would really want to know how the TDL cap space works.

Its just a calculation of what real cap dollars today gets you at the deadline in terms of full-year cap hit

For example:

The Hawks have $1.184M of current cap space (dollar wise)

At the deadline there is about 20% of the season left - so you only have to take on 20% of someones salary.

If someone makes 5 million... at the deadline they would cost their new team 20% or 1M$ (5M$ X 20%)

So that new team would have 5M of trade deadline caphit that they can add

Another easier way to look at it is

$1.184M / 20% = 5.92M$

My #'s are off because i'm too lazy to look and see how much of the season would be left - i just went with 20%

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/blackhawks

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
I think Vanek would play really well on a line with Toews and Hossa. They do the heavy defensive lifting and Vanek is the kind of sneaky offensive player that could capitalize on chances they generate in the offensive zone. Tatar would also be good, but harder to acquire I would think.

Hansen would be an excellent fit too, obviously in a different way. His NTC and salary for next season would complicate any deal, but I would be willing to pay a pretty high price for him. If Vancouver would agree to retain on him, so the Hawks would be able to squeeze him under the cap for next year too, I would give up a 1st and any prospect(s) outside of Forsling/Schmaltz.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Its just a calculation of what real cap dollars today gets you at the deadline in terms of full-year cap hit

For example:

The Hawks have $1.184M of current cap space (dollar wise)

At the deadline there is about 20% of the season left - so you only have to take on 20% of someones salary.

If someone makes 5 million... at the deadline they would cost their new team 20% or 1M$ (5M$ X 20%)

So that new team would have 5M of trade deadline caphit that they can add

Another easier way to look at it is

$1.184M / 20% = 5.92M$

My #'s are off because i'm too lazy to look and see how much of the season would be left - i just went with 20%

Well thanks for explaination.

I still doesn't get how TDL cap space according to CapFriendly was 1.08mil for Blackhawks and now over 5mil. :laugh: I mean I know it's math but still it sounds weird.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Well thanks for explaination.

I still doesn't get how TDL cap space according to CapFriendly was 1.08mil for Blackhawks and now over 5mil. :laugh: I mean I know it's math but still it sounds weird.

You're looking at the "projected cap space" when you should be looking at the "current cap space" which is 2.3 million.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
To trade Eberle you would have to take back Seabrook. I doubt the Oilers do this.

Is RNH in the same boat as Eberle where the Oilers would want to move them? Production is down but that is not a be all end all.

RNH is a keeper he is a great 2 way forward who takes on tough matchups I believe this is why his scoring is down as he's no longer being sheltered. Eberle has always been somewhat of a floater but he's always been forgiven because he was able to put the puck in the net. This year he seems to have lost that scoring touch even when given ample time on the 1st line with McDavid.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
You're looking at the "projected cap space" when you should be looking at the "current cap space" which is 2.3 million.

No I am not.

Week ago current cap space was 420K and deadline cap space 1.08m. That's what we were discussing about. I think.

Blaah I don't get it.

projexns

Matchups Matter
Mar 5, 2002
Forsling, OK
Visit site
No I am not.

Week ago current cap space was 420K and deadline cap space 1.08m. That's what we were discussing about. I think.

Blaah I don't get it.

Let me try to explain this. The two key numbers at the linked web-site towards the end of the post are:

1.)Projected cap-space: 1,184,191
2.)Deadline cap-space: 5,328,860

A player earning $4,500,000 gets paid $25,000 per day for the 180-day regular season.

If there are 40 days left in the regular season at the trade deadline of March 1st, then a team would have to have enough cap space to pay him $25,000 per day for 40 days which equals $1,000,000.

Chicago would have enough cap-space to do that because they have $1,184,191. They could even go a little higher, to a player making as much as $5,328,860.

They have all of this extra room since the last time you checked because they have sent Motte and Forsling to the AHL and thus have less salary to pay, giving them more cap-space.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Let me try to explain this. The two key numbers at the linked web-site towards the end of the post are:

1.)Projected cap-space: 1,184,191
2.)Deadline cap-space: 5,328,860

A player earning $4,500,000 gets paid $25,000 per day for the 180-day regular season.

If there are 40 days left in the regular season at the trade deadline of March 1st, then a team would have to have enough cap space to pay him $25,000 per day for 40 days which equals $1,000,000.

Chicago would have enough cap-space to do that because they have $1,184,191. They could even go a little higher, to a player making as much as $5,328,860.

They have all of this extra room since the last time you checked because they have sent Motte and Forsling to the AHL and thus have less salary to pay, giving them more cap-space.

Well this was very educational. Now I got it. Thank you like million times. I hope BK got it too!

One question though. Can somehow Bowman and co. use that $5,3mil for this years bonuses? I guess not?

projexns

Matchups Matter
Mar 5, 2002
Forsling, OK
Visit site

projexns

Matchups Matter
Mar 5, 2002
Forsling, OK
Visit site
Well this was very educational. Now I got it. Thank you like million times. I hope BK got it too!

One question though. Can somehow Bowman and co. use that $5,3mil for this years bonuses? I guess not?

Heh, we're having this discussion here and on the 'Hawks board.....

Any cap-space we don't use up can be applied towards the bonuses being earned this year. It would be extremely helpful to pay some of those off this year so that they don't have to carry over to next year.

We're so tight against the cap for next year (again) and our last middle-class salary will be gone (Kruger.) It's all core players with NMC's or cheap players......

EDIT: I thought I should clarify the bonuses......we have over $1.1 million to spend. It can purchase a $5 million contract at the TDL for the rest of the season but if we don't make any trades, we still only have the $1.1 million to apply to the bonuses, not $5.3 million.

Last edited:

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I would say Vanek for Chicago's 2018 1st rounder is relatively fair but not sure what hawks fans think

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Vanek would look nice as a rental on that line. He's an affordable option and looks good this year.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I would say Vanek for Chicago's 2018 1st rounder is relatively fair but not sure what hawks fans think

my guess is that would be too much. we have already given up our 2nd in 2018. The value for rentals is decreasing each year since more and more teams want to keep cost controls things like draft picks. a 1st is going to get you a borderline all star rental moving forward. Not someone that anybody could have signed in the off season. I think even bowman knows he way overpaid last year. how many 1sts got traded last year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad