NHL Chicago GM has an idea that could change hockey for the better

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I LOVE this idea

31 Thoughts: Bowman believes 'more Cup runs' possible for Blackhawks - Sportsnet.ca

Chicago Cubs, John McDonough became president of the hockey team in 2007. His baseball background is relevant for the purposes of this conversation.

“John’s been asking me for a long time, ‘Explain this healthy-scratch idea,’” Bowman said Monday, referring to players who don’t dress for games. “He’d say, ‘But we are paying them, right? I don’t get why we are not using them.’

“To be honest, I wasn’t really sure of a good answer. I think the idea used to be, you didn’t want a situation where if someone was coming in down four goals, they’d start a lot of trouble. But those guys don’t exist any more. If you can’t play, you can’t play.”

What Bowman suggested was every team continue to be allowed an in-game roster of 18 skaters and two goalies. However, coaches could insert their “healthy scratches” during a game. Like baseball, once someone is taken out, they cannot return.

Someone gets injured? Substitute. Down 2–0 heading into the third period, with an offensive player not dressed? Hey bud, suit up. Up 2–0 heading into the third period, with a good defensive player relaxing in a La-Z-Boy? Get dressed!

Allowing anyone to be substituted for any reason rules out concern for faking injuries. If someone who enters the game late does start a fiasco, they could be eligible for extra supplemental discipline. Players would have to work out during the game to stay ready, so they aren’t totally cold.

Bowman did get pushback, particularly concerns that this would benefit the wealthy franchises who can afford to carry 23 players. Not necessarily, he countered.

“We have money, but we can’t carry 23 because we don’t have the cap room. Nobody only carries 20. I’ve been looking every month. Everyone would have at least one substitute,” he said. “[And] if you’re really worried about that, maybe limit it to one substitution instead of three.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
They brought this up on the radio in Toronto this afternoon and brought up an interesting point against this scenario. You'd need your healthy scratches to stay warm by riding bikes or whatever. How would a player who has no chance in hell of getting in a a game feel if he had to warm up for nothing every game (see Postma as a Bruins example).

In addition to that, I'd like to add that I'm against the idea. If you're not dressed and on the bench, you can't come in. If they want the option they should somehow expand the bench roster. Guys can periodically warm up, sort of like how they do in soccer.

Another point brought up on the radio, although perhaps not as relevant these days is that a team getting killed could bring a goon into the game just to mix things up.

The only positive is that a team could have the option to pull guys to avoid injury or just to rest them.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I like it ,don’t think a team should basically be penalized because of injuries,should be able to replace the injured player.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
I like it but it should be limited to one designated player that is eligible to enter. I've long said that I think you should be able to do it when there is an injury during the first half of the game. The fighting/goon fear could be legislated out with a rule similar to the last 5 mins. instigator rule.

Reactions: Killerbeez

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Injuries suck, but I can't imagine healthy scratches sitting there in the locker room waiting to get activated, then coming in and playing well.

I'm fine with having an emergency goalie, but you already have 18 skaters. They can cover for an injury. I don't like the idea of coaches gaming it and dumping fresh 4th liners on the ice midway through the third period.

Reactions: flooredaccord

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think this is a good idea.

I would tweak this proposal ... one fwd and D extra are allowed to be listed on the starting roster. IF a player on the starting roster is injured then a substitution is allowed, but player can't come on the ice until the next period starts. This way the player has time to get dressed and warm up a bit prior to playing.

You can't substitute otherwise (bc the players already playing stinks or misconduct)

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

I would tweak this proposal ... one fwd and D extra are allowed to be listed on the starting roster. IF a player on the starting roster is injured then a substitution is allowed, but player can't come on the ice until the next period starts. This way the player has time to get dressed and warm up a bit prior to playing.

You can't substitute otherwise (bc the players already playing stinks or misconduct)
I think this makes a lot of sense. Two guys in locker room not fully dressed but ready to go. As you say, no substitutes until start of next period. Plenty of time to get fully dressed including advance warning to ride the bike and get a quick skate on ice before puck drops.

Reactions: rocketdan9

Yntoe

Mar 28, 2018
Bowman is simply wrong. If the core of the Hawks remain, they won't be winning anymore cups.
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/67/smakk.png
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/46/smakk.png

Reactions: BadBruins

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

This is smart. I like it.

Reactions: rocketdan9

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Dumb. Only 5/18 skaters can be on the ice at one point. 13 dudes on the bench as 'backups' is plenty.

I've played pretty high level games with only 5 skaters and no bench I'm not advocating hockey be like soccer but the ice is VERY small for 10 guys on skates with huge sticks that cover a ton of real estate in 2018 I don't think always having freshly rested guys on the ice at all times going full tilt makes it better for spectators.

If it was up to me I'd go 4 on 4 with 8-9 guys per team in uniform each night and cull the less talented half of the NHLPA. Make skating ability and endurance a bigger part of the game not just defense and positioning.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC

Agreed that a misconduct of match penalty shouldn't be eligible for substitution but it would be tough to enforce limiting it to injuries. B's are up 4-1 late in the second, and suddenly Donato is "feeling tightness in his hamstring" and sits out the 3rd for Accari. How is the ref/league going to check that? what if they say "nope, i think he's fine, no substitution allowed" and then he tears that hammy in the 3rd?

I guess you could make the guy who was subbed out sit out the next game as well, but that seems pretty punitive

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Teams on road trips with injuries in prior games may be at a disadvantage?

OK, hi me what do you mean?

Well this year we had away back to back against the Ducks and the Kings.

In that situation you could use everyone you had on hand for the trip for the first game and now need to fly out someone (X2or3) from somewhere to be ready.

Typically unless you even needed more than on hand you would, to steal a phrase, go to war with the army you had.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, you don't need 4 complete lines to play a game. Some coaches only play those lines under 10 minutes a night anyways. Any team can manage the loss of a player. Sure, if a team loses 3 or 4 players in one game, that sucks, but it's just one game.

Reactions: missingchicklet

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Dumb. Only 5/18 skaters can be on the ice at one point. 13 dudes on the bench as 'backups' is plenty.

I've played pretty high level games with only 5 skaters and no bench I'm not advocating hockey be like soccer but the ice is VERY small for 10 guys on skates with huge sticks that cover a ton of real estate in 2018 I don't think always having freshly rested guys on the ice at all times going full tilt makes it better for spectators.

If it was up to me I'd go 4 on 4 with 8-9 guys per team in uniform each night and cull the less talented half of the NHLPA. Make skating ability and endurance a bigger part of the game not just defense and positioning.

Lol, thanks for the laugh! :laugh:

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Bringing guys in cold to the middle of an NHL game would be much harder than you think and would probably lead to goals against and more injuries. Don’t think “working out during the game” would cut it. It’s hard enough bringing someone back into the game after they have been benched for extended period, don’t think it would be practical to bring someone out of the press box, game is too fast - this isn’t baseball.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
They brought this up on the radio in Toronto this afternoon and brought up an interesting point against this scenario. You'd need your healthy scratches to stay warm by riding bikes or whatever. How would a player who has no chance in hell of getting in a a game feel if he had to warm up for nothing every game (see Postma as a Bruins example).

I dont know, how is it now. But i remember, about 20 years ago, an interview with Robert Petrovicky. Played for Dallas Stars briefly. And he said, healthy scratches MUST ride stationary bikes every game. They dont simply sit in the crowd.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I dont know, how is it now. But i remember, about 20 years ago, an interview with Robert Petrovicky. Played for Dallas Stars briefly. And he said, healthy scratches MUST ride stationary bikes every game. They dont simply sit in the crowd.

Guys are seen up in the press box (or in the minors, the stands) all the time.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`m not necessarily against the idea, actually I quite like being able to insert a healthy scratch if a player gets injured during the game. My question or comment however is how safe is it for a player to be sitting up top, then having to rush downstairs, not having the benefit of, at the very least warming up. Is that not potentially setting that player up for injury coming in stone cold?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Injuries suck, but I can't imagine healthy scratches sitting there in the locker room waiting to get activated, then coming in and playing well.

I'm fine with having an emergency goalie, but you already have 18 skaters. They can cover for an injury. I don't like the idea of coaches gaming it and dumping fresh 4th liners on the ice midway through the third period.
not sure it`s about having that player or expecting that player to come in and "play well" more than it`s about allowing a coach to not have to push players already dressed into playing a ton of minutes. In all honesty, I think if I were to modify this idea, I wouldn`t mind if teams were permitted to use a healthy scratch during the game but ONLY for defensemen as they are the ones usually most taxed when an in game injury occurs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad