NHL Chicago GM has an idea that could change hockey for the better

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I literally was wondering (about 2 months ago) why Hockey is the only professional sport that does not allow a player to be replaced when they become injured in-game. Never made sense to me.
What's the rule in pro soccer concerning injured or ejected players?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Really

Wasn't it two weeks ago where 3 Bruins went down in the same game. Why shouldn't the coach be able to replace those guys. Plus the other players (especially defensemen) are now having to play more than expected further increasing the risk of another injury etc.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

that happens in every sport.

there is no stash of players in the MLB, NFL or NBA that a team can pull someone in from during the game to bring a roster back to full after an injury.

you have your active game day roster and thats it, in every sport. Between games you can add players to replace the injured.

as for the cap not allowing him to carry the full 23, thats his own damn fault. Maybe dont give Toews 10.5 a year and you can fill in those 1-2 bottom of the roster spots. anything else is cap circumvention

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
that happens in every sport.

there is no stash of players in the MLB, NFL or NBA that a team can pull someone in from during the game to bring a roster back to full after an injury.

you have your active game day roster and thats it, in every sport. Between games you can add players to replace the injured.

as for the cap not allowing him to carry the full 23, thats his own damn fault. Maybe dont give Toews 10.5 a year and you can fill in those 1-2 bottom of the roster spots. anything else is cap circumvention

The NFL has a 53 man roster. On game day, it shrinks to 46. If a guy gets tossed or hurt and can’t return, they have a lot more players to choose from as replacements than they do in the NHL. I really wouldn’t compare the two.

I wouldn’t have an issue with subs as long as it was legislated properly.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The NFL has a 53 man roster. On game day, it shrinks to 46. If a guy gets tossed or hurt and can’t return, they have a lot more players to choose from as replacements than they do in the NHL. I really wouldn’t compare the two.

I wouldn’t have an issue with subs as long as it was legislated properly.

and each one of those 53 has a job and sees the field between subs, special teams, etc (except for guys like the backup QB). but even the handful that dont are specific positions, not like you can throw a backup QB out on the offensive line to cover for an injury.

hell, there were a few games this year alone where the kicker or punter got hurt mid game and the team was at a disadvantage because of it. its sports, sh*t happens.

dont overlook the reason he cant have those roster fillers is because he mismanaged the cap.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Having your extras available seems like a good idea. Don't really know if you need for forwards since teams carry 12 forwards anyway. But team a play just six dman, and if one goes down, it's five. Maybe a team could use the 3rd QB rule like the NFL. The extra isn't in the lineup, until another player is removed because of injury. The removed player cannot come back into the lineup. Penalties such as game misconducts is not a reason to allow the replacement player to enter the game.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I’m not totally opposed. Would a guy skating in pregame warmups taking a seat for possibly a couple hours affect him that much? Goalies have to do it and they arguably have the toughest job flexibility wise.

Reactions: BMC and trenton1

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Really

Wasn't it two weeks ago where 3 Bruins went down in the same game. Why shouldn't the coach be able to replace those guys. Plus the other players (especially defensemen) are now having to play more than expected further increasing the risk of another injury etc.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

part of the game.

injuries happen.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
How would a player who has no chance in hell of getting in a a game feel if he had to warm up for nothing every game (see Postma as a Bruins example).

These guys are often getting paid millions, I'd think they would handle it just fine.

My main concern is sending down goons. I know they say they'd try and prevent it, but I don't care if someone gets extra discipline if they come down and concuss one of our players.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Dumb. Only 5/18 skaters can be on the ice at one point. 13 dudes on the bench as 'backups' is plenty.

I've played pretty high level games with only 5 skaters and no bench I'm not advocating hockey be like soccer but the ice is VERY small for 10 guys on skates with huge sticks that cover a ton of real estate in 2018 I don't think always having freshly rested guys on the ice at all times going full tilt makes it better for spectators.

If it was up to me I'd go 4 on 4 with 8-9 guys per team in uniform each night and cull the less talented half of the NHLPA. Make skating ability and endurance a bigger part of the game not just defense and positioning.
I don't like the proposed idea from Bowman, but I can say I HATE your 4 on 4 idea, especially with cutting the roster size down.

Regardless of the fact that the NHLPA would never go for it. Hey guys, thanks for helping out, now 33% of you are out of jobs.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Agreed that a misconduct of match penalty shouldn't be eligible for substitution but it would be tough to enforce limiting it to injuries. B's are up 4-1 late in the second, and suddenly Donato is "feeling tightness in his hamstring" and sits out the 3rd for Accari. How is the ref/league going to check that? what if they say "nope, i think he's fine, no substitution allowed" and then he tears that hammy in the 3rd?

I guess you could make the guy who was subbed out sit out the next game as well, but that seems pretty punitive

No way to enforce. It would be based on trust

Likely a team is not going to substitute a top 6 fwd no matter how bad they are playing. Because the extra is likely not as good as player

It could also be a disadvantage to sub in a new player just cause...

1. Player new to the game and is behind in adjusting to pace/scheme by other team. Regardless how much instructed, not the same as actually playing

2. Use or abuse the sub in function , without an actual injury and if another player is really injured later in the game, your team is worst off

Another way to prevent to sub in for fake injuries would be , team would need to burn a timeout to substitute in an extra

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
In International hockey tournaments you area allowed to dress 20 skaters and 2 goalies, some team opt for four full lines by using 8 D, other teams will carry 7 D and 13 F and rotate players usually on the 3rd pairing D and 4th Line. I like that rule, if you lose someone during the game with an injury or game misconduct you can just insert the extra player in there.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Act like you have been shot by someone in the stands with a deer rifle, writhe in pain on the ground and get carried off in a stretcher and go back in 5 minutes later.
That part of the game is a mess,but I was watching a Premier League game 2 weeks ago and one of the teams had to play with 10 men for an entire half because of a penalty card I think.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
That part of the game is a mess,but I was watching a Premier League game 2 weeks ago and one of the teams had to play with 10 men for an entire half because of a penalty card I think.

Yup, you only have 3 subs, and subs cannot be used for players that were ejected. You need to play short-handed the rest of the way.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Game is fine. Maybe baseball should adopt the other sports rules.

Bruin1970

Feb 23, 2018
I thought his idea was going to be firing Quenville. That would indeed change Hockey for the better.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
I dont know, how is it now. But i remember, about 20 years ago, an interview with Robert Petrovicky. Played for Dallas Stars briefly. And he said, healthy scratches MUST ride stationary bikes every game. They dont simply sit in the crowd.

At the college level we put them through a very intense game day work out if they’re not expected to play that night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad