Pre-Game Talk: Chicago Blackhawks vs Pittsburgh Penguins 1/5/16 - Let the good times roll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Kunitz having looked better just means he'd be serviceable as a 4th line LW instead of a permanent scratch.

The fact that this team sees him as a must on Sid's LW is out of my realm of comprehension. That's taking into account how abysmal our LW depth is as well.

There's just no justification for it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm not going to overreact to those comments, but it's clear that Tocchet, at least, in addition to Sullivan, in his limited time here, like Kunitz with Sid. Now that could be relative to other unknown options, but they still like it.

That doesn't mean JR likes it or that Kunitz won't be traded next week.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
“Having said that we also want to create a competitive environment where guys are fighting to play hard for their positions."

And he Earneditz again! :yo:

I mean he really set the world on fire with his 0 ES points under MS :laugh:

But I guess they just saw sid's GA/60 away from Kunitz and Dupuis, the glue that prevents Sid from being a total liability denfensively. :sarcasm:

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I'm really not sure what there is to 'like' although I understand why it might be used. I get that Sullivan is unfamiliar with the players, and it's important to have some semblance of consistency while he tinkers with the roster. But to like the combination is pretty disturbing.

Well what's he going to say, "We think Kunitz is old and washed up, but everybody else sucks even more, so we're basically screwed".

I expect a new guy to keep his cards close to the vest, and if a better option presents itself, then go with it.

I will agree that Perron on the right of Sid is a moving part though, as is BB (because of his injury history).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well what's he going to say, "We think Kunitz is old and washed up, but everybody else sucks even more, so we're basically screwed".

I expect a new guy to keep his cards close to the vest, and if a better option presents itself, then go with it.

I will agree that Perron on the right of Sid is a moving part though, as is BB (because of his injury history).

We'd have to hear the question, but unless specifically asked why he kept Kunitz-Sid combo together, he didn't have to say anything at all.

Country Mac

Violent Gents Unite
Apr 7, 2014
San Diego, CA
I hate Zatkoff, but he's a reasonably serviceable backup

he's an ugly, ugly goaltender to watch, but at the end of the day he doesn't allow too many goals

rather he play and let Murray marinate in the A

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
We'd have to hear the question, but unless specifically asked why he kept Kunitz-Sid combo together, he didn't have to say anything at all.

I'll worry about it when we have anyone better than Kunitz to put there. Probably about the same time MS will worry about it. If PH is going to convert over to LW, it should probably be opposite Kessel, so that doesn't help us here either.

Bonino is the only other guy I guess they could put there, but he's one of the only forwards slower than Kunitz on the team, and he would probably mesh with Geno better anyways.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'll worry about it when we have anyone better than Kunitz to put there. Probably about the same time MS will worry about it. If PH is going to convert over to LW, it should probably be opposite Kessel, so that doesn't help us here either.

Bonino is the only other guy I guess they could put there, but he's one of the only forwards slower than Kunitz on the team, and he would probably mesh with Geno better anyways.
This was my initial reaction as well, but why is Perron on the RW then?

Perron – Crosby – Hornqvist
Cullen – Malkin – Kessel

Not that Perron has been great either, but still.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
There is nothing that will ever convince me that Kunitz should be in the top-9, let alone top-6. The guy sucks less than he has for the previous two years, but he's not any good. At all. At anything.

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Cullen-Malkin-Kessel
Plotnikov-Bonino-Fehr

When healthy;

Perron-Crosby-Bennett
Hornqvist-Malkin-Kessel
Plotnikov-Bonino-Fehr

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Welp, I guess that's proof they're going to go all in on Drouin. Bottom 6 LW, 2LW (stupid on the other side of Kessel) or 1RW while Kunitz lives to fight for another contract

Fordy

May 28, 2008
don't know why people keep falling for kunitz. he's not playing any better or different then usual. he's bad. stop thinking he's suddenly playing better

LarmerAmonteSeabrook

I'm flying in from Chicago tomorrow morning and will be there in section 116 sporting my red Patrick Kane sweater! I'll be heading back home the next day. While I'm hoping for two wins for my Blackhawks, I also am hoping for some great hockey the next couple days!

Will anyone else be at Consol Energy Center tomorrow or United Center on Wednesday?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm flying in from Chicago tomorrow morning and will be there in section 116 sporting my red Patrick Kane sweater! I'll be heading back home the next day. While I'm hoping for two wins for my Blackhawks, I also am hoping for some great hockey the next couple days!

Will anyone else be at Consol Energy Center tomorrow or United Center on Wednesday?

I hope Plotnikov destroys Kane.

X O X O

Gossip Girl.

LarmerAmonteSeabrook

I hope Plotnikov destroys Kane.

X O X O

Gossip Girl.

Ha! Good luck with that happening. Kane just doesn't get hit very often, because he's far too fast and agile. Watch out for Kane/Anisimov/Panarin. That line will fly and will have your heads on a swivel.

I doubt Scuderi will be playing, Penguins fans. Ever since Gustafsson was called up from the AHL, he's been the 7th D, and I don't see him sitting very often, as he's showing some nice skill on the blue line.

I've been to 21 games so far here at United Center this season. I'm looking forward to seeing the guys on the road there in Pittsburgh.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ha! Good luck with that happening. Kane just doesn't get hit very often, because he's far too fast and agile. Watch out for Kane/Anisimov/Panarin. That line will fly and will have your heads on a swivel.

I doubt Scuderi will be playing, Penguins fans. Ever since Gustafsson was called up from the AHL, he's been the 7th D, and I don't see him sitting very often, as he's showing some nice skill on the blue line.

I've been to 21 games so far here at United Center this season. I'm looking forward to seeing the guys on the road there in Pittsburgh.

I see.

lucasjb

Oct 23, 2014
Did I say he was good? If so, I apologize for misspeaking.

I think Zatkoff is fine in his role....is all I'm saying.

I'd love to have Murray back up Fleury, but that's not a viable option right now.

I agree with you and you've posted the numbers to back up your opinions. He's had one bad game this season that I've seen. The guy doesn't deserve to be crucified, sure he can look shaky, but in general he gets the job done.

For anyone thinking Kunitz-Crosby will ever not be a thing while Kunitz remains a Penguins:

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=795888&navid=DL|PIT|home

The best hope for separating Kunitz from Crosy has always been Jim Rutherford. I like to believe it'll happen.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
after this season how can anyone be denying that a lot of this team's problems are mental? if you're cool with sending zatkoff out to flop around like an idiot, regardless of his stats, you're okay with feeding the negative mind state this team is trying to get out of. i want someone in that inspires confidence

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
For anyone thinking Kunitz-Crosby will ever not be a thing while Kunitz remains a Penguins:

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=795888&navid=DL|PIT|home

Yeah Mike. Where else could we find a talentless dog****er who puts up 28 points in the last 81 games with Sidney Crosby.

Jack-Nicholson.gif

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I think Sullivan likes Kunitz with Crosby because Kunitz does still have some speed and grit.

His hands are completely shot, though, which is why every player that's joined that line under Sullivan has had more of a shooter/finesse identity (specifically thinking of Sheary and Perron).

If the Penguins could find a finesse winger or transition someone to the left side (Beau Bennett? outside acquisition?), I think you'd see Kunitz and Hornqvist's roles flip.

I also see that Sullivan immediately countered his satisfaction with the current lines with the caveat that if he doesn't like what he's seeing, he'll change it. But after the last few games, it's understandable why he wouldn't want to change for now.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'm not going to overreact to those comments, but it's clear that Tocchet, at least, in addition to Sullivan, in his limited time here, like Kunitz with Sid. Now that could be relative to other unknown options, but they still like it.

That doesn't mean JR likes it or that Kunitz won't be traded next week.

Plus with Bennett hurt we're dreadfully short of alternatives to Kunitz right now. Your other options are a Dwarf with no hands, Kevin Porter, and uh Sergei Plotnikov I guess.

I'm not going to get annoyed about Kunitz being where he is until we actually have better LW options to put there. Right now we just don't.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Plus with Bennett hurt we're dreadfully short of alternatives to Kunitz right now. Your other options are a Dwarf with no hands, Kevin Porter, and uh Sergei Plotnikov I guess.

I'm not going to get annoyed about Kunitz being where he is until we actually have better LW options to put there. Right now we just don't.

Perron, Cullen, Bonino, Plotnikov.

Players I'd put on LW in the top-6/9 before Kunitz.

Again, I'm fully aware of how dreadful our LW options are, but that doesn't mean Kunitz is a good or the right option. /shrug

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Uh no there are obvious options if they wanted to move Kunitz from Sid. Perron is a left winger and Hornqvist is on the 3rd line. That hasn't been tried at all this year despite some success last year.

I'm not saying that's some massive upgrade and Sid is currently playing well, but there are options.

I'm not even mad Kunitz is still with Sid. I'm mad that it's seen as etched in stone and they aren't even willing to try anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad