Confirmed with Link: Chicago Blackhawks sign Arvid Söderblom

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
A nice lottery ticket to add to the pipeline. But still wouldn't mind drafting a goalie.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
No goalies before round 5, if even then. We just drafted one in the second.

And that would be foolish policy

Lets just look at goalies left in playoffs (Isles have used Sorokin and Varlamov so I included both)

Marc-Andre Fleury (VGK) = 1st Round Pick
Tuukka Rask (Bos) = 1st Round Pick
Carey Price (Mtl) = 1st Round Pick
Semyon Varlamov (NYI) = 1st Round Pick
Andre Vasilevskiy (TB) = 1st Round Pick
Alex Nedejkovic (Car) = 2nd Round Pick
Ilya Sorokin (NYI) = 3rd Round Pick
Philipp Grubauer (Col) = 4th Round Pick
Connor Hellebuyck (WPG) = 5th Round Pick

And your 2nd part of post is just as foolish

From 2006 thru 2010 the Caps selected several goalies and it turned into a gold mine for them

Semyon Varlamov = 2006 2nd Round
Michal Neuvirth = 2006 3rd Round

Dan Dunn = 2007 6th Round
Braden Holtby = 2008 4th Round
Philipp Grubauer = 2010 4th Round

Capitols restocked again recently
Vitek Vanecek = 2014 2nd Round
Ilya Samsonov = 2015 1st Round

Mitchell Gibson = 2018 4th round
Garin Bjorklund = 2020 6th round

And its again looking like great strategy with Vanecek and Samsonov in NHL , Gibson looking good at Harvard and Bjorklund looking good in WHL

When your goaltending pipleine is weak drafting several options and pursuing options via UDFA should be priority to stock it

Same strategy was used by Mike Smith when he was Hawks GM with idea of building from net out and stocking cupboard at G/D positions

Mike Ayers = 6th Round 2000
Adam Berkhoel = 8th Round 2000
Adam Munro = 1st Round 2001
Craig Anderson = 3rd Round 2001
Tyson Kellerman = 7th Round 2002
Corey Crawford = 2nd Round 2003
Mike Brodeur = 7th Round 2003

The idea you avoid drafting goalies is just an excuse used to defend GM's who cant successfully evaluate the position at draft. As shown its not 100% success but its more successful then refusing to draft the position

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Also the myth that goalie can be found via UDFA to win has shown to be rare feat in modern NHL

Since the 1st lockout all but one SC winning goalie was drafted

Vasilevskiy (2020) = 1st Round Pick
Binnington (2019) = 3rd Round Pick
Holtby (2018) = 4th Round Pick
Murray (2016 and 2017) = 3rd Round Pick
Crawford (2013 and 2015) = 2nd Round Pick
Quick (2012 and 2014) = 3rd Round Pick
Thomas (2011) = 9th Round Pick
Niemi (2010) = UDFA
Fleury (2009) = 1st Round Pick
Osgood (2008) = 3rd Round Pick
Giguere (2007) = 1st Round Pick
Ward (2006) = 1st Round Pick

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Lets just look at goalies left in playoffs (Isles have used Sorokin and Varlamov so I included both)

From 2006 thru 2010 the Caps selected several goalies and it turned into a gold mine for them

And its again looking like great strategy with Vanecek and Samsonov in NHL , Gibson looking good at Harvard and Bjorklund looking good in WHL

When your goaltending pipleine is weak drafting several options and pursuing options via FA should be priority to stock it

Same strategy was used by Mike Smith when he was Hawks GM

The idea you avoid drafting goalies is just an excuse used to defend GM's who cant successfully evaluate the position at draft

Goalie needs to be the last piece, this team has way too many holes at F and D for the future as is. Several of those guys on your first list could have easily been acquired via UFA or trade. Let another team burn those picks developing those guys.

I really like the kid we already drafted, and KL looked pretty good for stretches too. Let's give them a chance before we waste a bunch of picks that we can afford to piss away.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Utilizing a 3rd round pick on a G is hardly more a potential waste then drafting a D out of some low rate Finnish league or some kid destined to play in lower ranks Jr's , etc

The reality is we are weak at G position in organization from NHL to prospect pool and should be looking to make that a strength on all levels of organization and draft should be utilized for that purpose as well as UDFA or FA

You dont have to go with just one method of acquiring goalie talent

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Utilizing a 3rd round pick on a G is hardly more a potential waste then drafting a D out of some low rate Finnish league or some kid destined to play in lower ranks Jr's , etc

The reality is we are weak at G position in organization from NHL to prospect pool and should be looking to make that a strength on all levels of organization and draft should be utilized for that purpose as well as UDFA or FA

You dont have to go with just one method of acquiring goalie talent

-- OT did they ever call for you and your wife to head on over to hospital? --

Easier to hit on a F or D vs a goalie in the 3rd round is the way I see it, though.... and see we have so many holes, I'd rather take a shot on the position that has the best shot to be an impact player for us.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Easier to hit on a F or D vs a goalie in the 3rd round is the way I see it, though.... and see we have so many holes, I'd rather take a shot on the position that has the best shot to be an impact player for us.

If you have a GM/Scouts who know what they are doing then its not much of an issue (Look at Caps for example)

Again it all comes down to Bowman's inability to draft at position and this weak attempt to excuse that failure with "Well drafting goalie is failure anyway ,, Dont do it"

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
If you have a GM/Scouts who know what they are doing then its not much of an issue (Look at Caps for example)

Again it all comes down to Bowman's inability to draft at position and this weak attempt to excuse that failure with "Well drafting goalie is failure anyway ,, Dont do it"

I looked at who they've drafted since 2010.... and honestly, I'm not sure I want them using any picks on goalies at this point. :laugh:

Just sign a guy for now to get by, we don't need some good to great goalie. Just not there yet... If Commesso or KL turn out to be that guy, or someone else, then great.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford

When your goaltending pipleine is weak drafting several options and pursuing options via UDFA should be priority to stock it

Same strategy was used by Mike Smith when he was Hawks GM with idea of building from net out and stocking cupboard at G/D positions

The idea you avoid drafting goalies is just an excuse used to defend GM's who cant successfully evaluate the position at draft. As shown its not 100% success but its more successful then refusing to draft the position

I'm just trying to figure out how Varlamov was both a 1st round pick and a second round pick.

Reactions: Geoist and ClydeLee

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
''The Chicago Blackhawks today announced that they have agreed to terms with goaltender Arvid Soderblom (AHR-vihd SOH-duhr-blewm) on a two-year entry-level contract that runs through the 2022-23 season ($883,750 salary cap hit).''

Pretty funny that the official statement can get something this very wrong. Ö in Swedish is pronounced as the ea sound in the word ''earth'', not oh as English speakers seems to think.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
''The Chicago Blackhawks today announced that they have agreed to terms with goaltender Arvid Soderblom (AHR-vihd SOH-duhr-blewm) on a two-year entry-level contract that runs through the 2022-23 season ($883,750 salary cap hit).''

Pretty funny that the official statement can get something this very wrong. Ö in Swedish is pronounced as the ea sound in the word ''earth'', not oh as English speakers seems to think.

Well as per usual European names get butchered over here :laugh:

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Technically this kid is D +3 correct? Which for NA players would have been 2 yrs in JR. and a year in the minors.
If by mid season he seems comfortable with small rink action and plays well do you think he gets called up?

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Technically this kid is D +3 correct? Which for NA players would have been 2 yrs in JR. and a year in the minors.
If by mid season he seems comfortable with small rink action and plays well do you think he gets called up?

I think it makes sense to have a proven veteran with Lankinen. But, if a spot opens up and Soderblom is playing well, then I don't see any reason to hold him back from a call-up. Getting games is probably the most important thing for Soderblom right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad