Pre-Game Talk: Chicago at Dallas- Thursday Oct. 9 7:30 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
I wouldn't say Shaw is the type of center Kane needs. They work well enough together but I was looking forward to at least seeing Kane play with someone... better.

Plus, Bickell-Richards-Versteeg just sounds kind of terrible.

Bickell-Richards-Versteeg is a line primed to be a train wreck in their own zone.

member 151739

I wouldn't say Shaw is the type of center Kane needs. They work well enough together but I was looking forward to at least seeing Kane play with someone... better.

Plus, Bickell-Richards-Versteeg just sounds kind of terrible.

Yeah, that line doesn't sound too great. But I always thought that Kane/Richards wouldn't mesh to begin with. Training camp proved me wrong, but I can see how that line still wouldn't work... without the puck. Shaw complements Kane, so I'm fine with it.

Saad - Toews - Kane
Sharp - Richards - Hossa
Bickell - Shaw - Versteeg
Morin/Carcillo - Kruger - Smith

Sigh.

Marina

Mar 26, 2013
Florida
Yeah, that line doesn't sound too great. But I always thought that Kane/Richards wouldn't mesh to begin with. Training camp proved me wrong, but I can see how that line still wouldn't work... without the puck. Shaw complements Kane, so I'm fine with it.

Saad - Toews - Kane
Sharp - Richards - Hossa

Bickell - Shaw - Versteeg
Morin/Carcillo - Kruger - Smith

Sigh.

I think it's pretty obvious this will never happen. For whatever reason, Q loathes the idea of Kane and Toews on the same line.

By all accounts it sounded like Richards was brought in to be that 2C kinda guy. Idk why they'd change that before even giving it a try. Kinda annoying.

member 151739

I think it's pretty obvious this will never happen. For whatever reason, Q loathes the idea of Kane and Toews on the same line.

By all accounts it sounded like Richards was brought in to be that 2C kinda guy. Idk why they'd change that before even giving it a try. Kinda annoying.

Hence the sigh. It's pretty obvious those should be the lines, but it won't happen. It's because putting Kane and Toews together is Q's last resort in a game. If they're already together, he has nothing to fall back on when **** hits the fan.

BBSeabs27

#freeseabs
Jan 27, 2011
Chicago
Excited for this season! Can't wait to see what Morin does now that he's officially on the team. I predict he'll be the surprise of the season.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
You guys know Q. Just because he had those lines out at practice doesn't mean he is going to use them. Even if he does, its always subject to change quickly. Personally I would like to at least start out with the Kane/Shaw/Saad line just because of how good it was the last time we played meaningful games. Why would you not start it out to see if the magic is still there?

Mad Dog Madison

Oct 2, 2014
Sioux Falls
Starting to look like Shaw is going to start between Saad and Kane while Richards starts between Bickell and Versteeg.

It's Q, and it's the first game of the season, so lines mean basically nothing. But still...ugh.

I'll criticize Q's dumbass lines all day, but this one actually makes sense. Kane, Shaw, and Saad was not only great in New York, but that line did more against LA than any other line the Hawks had. That line basically single handedly forced Game 7

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
Hence the sigh. It's pretty obvious those should be the lines, but it won't happen. It's because putting Kane and Toews together is Q's last resort in a game. If they're already together, he has nothing to fall back on when **** hits the fan.

Don't you think it's in part so he can give Kane, his best offensive player, more favorable zone starts and easier QoC than any line centered by Toews will get? I mean what you're proposing makes a lot sense, but I also think playing Hossa and Toews together against top lines has proven to be extremely effective and I don't think the solution is quite that obvious.

member 151739

Don't you think it's in part so he can give Kane, his best offensive player, more favorable zone starts and easier QoC than any line centered by Toews will get? I mean what you're proposing makes a lot sense, but I also think playing Hossa and Toews together against top lines has proven to be extremely effective and I don't think the solution is quite that obvious.

Oh, definitely. That's a factor too. But you could argue Kane would be more effective with Toews. Separating them works though. Not complaining about that. I just think the lines I made are more well rounded.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Well at least we know Roussel won't cause any problems with Carcillo in the lineup to deter him with all his grit, sandpaper, and "that element". ;)

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
Oh, definitely. That's a factor too. But you could argue Kane would be more effective with Toews. Separating them works though. Not complaining about that. I just think the lines I made are more well rounded.

I love Saad and Toews together. Another defensive center (who has legitimate offensive skill) would help as we could ease Toews' tough matchups and put a line with him and Kane in more favorable offensive positions like when Bolland was here (and good) and Toews and Kane played together quite a bit. I would like to give Kane and Sharp a chance together this season.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
You guys know Q. Just because he had those lines out at practice doesn't mean he is going to use them. Even if he does, its always subject to change quickly. Personally I would like to at least start out with the Kane/Shaw/Saad line just because of how good it was the last time we played meaningful games. Why would you not start it out to see if the magic is still there?

The New York game showed us the magic is still there. That's not in doubt. But the Bickell-Shaw-Versteeg line was buzzing like crazy in preseason too.

To me, it just seems a bit early to give up on testing out Saad-Richards-Kane, or if we were going to start the year with Saad-Shaw-Kane back together, maybe it would have been nice if they had tried out Bickell-Richards-Versteeg at some point in preseason to see if that line had chemistry.

With how this has been handled with Richards suddenly moved down, there can be a perception that they are demoting their 2C free agent acquisition that they made such a big deal about acquiring, if the Hawks are not careful.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
With how this has been handled with Richards suddenly moved down, there can be a perception that they are demoting their 2C free agent acquisition that they made such a big deal about acquiring, if the Hawks are not careful.

Not that it really matters, though. Gotta play the lines that work the best.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The New York game showed us the magic is still there. That's not in doubt. But the Bickell-Shaw-Versteeg line was buzzing like crazy in preseason too.

To me, it just seems a bit early to give up on testing out Saad-Richards-Kane, or if we were going to start the year with Saad-Shaw-Kane back together, maybe it would have been nice if they had tried out Bickell-Richards-Versteeg at some point in preseason to see if that line had chemistry.

I don't see why Perception there would matter at all...

besides, the only real perception that should come of this is, Joel Quenneville is Joel Quenneville and he's going to do what he always does. To conclude it's any concept of giving up would be to ignore the patterns clear to see what Q does.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 54s53 seconds ago
Kris Versteeg (lower body) could miss #Blackhawks opener. "Didn't look good," Q said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad